What to do when you just feel lost???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had such an unpredictable ride these last few months. I've had a few lessons with BManz, and I always leave the lesson striking the ball much better. However, I just can't seem to hold on to it for long afterwards.

From fat shots, to slices, to shanks. You name it, I've got it. If the driver is good, irons are bad, and vice versa. I used to be the best player in my group (by a few shots, even when they play a few mulligans a round, and I don't). Now I'm lucky if I'm within 5 strokes, and it's not because they're scoring better, but because I'm worse.

A part of me just wants to walk away for a while. The other part wants to work trough it. What have y'all found is the best course? Quit for a while, and stop thinking about hand paths, tumble, lagging the sweetspot, and just clear it all out? Or, take another lesson and try to get a handle on it?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Personally, I chip and putt to the point that I don't care how I hit it...I'm getting up and down. It's funny, but when that happens, the confidence in my full swing returns and I play good for a while....then the process repeats itself.

Golf is a tricky game, no one is going to hit it perfect all the time. The big thing is confidence, once you have a handle on the basic elements of the swing.

hp12c

New
I've had such an unpredictable ride these last few months. I've had a few lessons with BManz, and I always leave the lesson striking the ball much better. However, I just can't seem to hold on to it for long afterwards.

From fat shots, to slices, to shanks. You name it, I've got it. If the driver is good, irons are bad, and vice versa. I used to be the best player in my group (by a few shots, even when they play a few mulligans a round, and I don't). Now I'm lucky if I'm within 5 strokes, and it's not because they're scoring better, but because I'm worse.

A part of me just wants to walk away for a while. The other part wants to work trough it. What have y'all found is the best course? Quit for a while, and stop thinking about hand paths, tumble, lagging the sweetspot, and just clear it all out? Or, take another lesson and try to get a handle on it?

From my experience, if Im having issues with my ball striking, chipping, pitching, putting. What I have felt and seen is this. My swing is in the process of transformation, from old to new and the process involves change and this period of change from old to new is where the issues come to out. How long will it take for the newer swing to be born, hard to say, but I know this birthing is a hard, has I can tell from your post and from my own experience, but be patient keep at it, you will so much better when the new swing is here and the struggle will rememberred but the new swing will be worth it, trust me!.

Art

I think the best resolution is to curb the amount of 'getting lost.'

I highly recommend getting a camcorder, particularly a Casio with slow motion. No, you don't have to draw lines. Instead, use it to make sure that you are doing what you went over in the last lesson. I've always found that to be a huge issue for me in my pre-video camera days. I'd get a lesson...start hitting it well, and then it would disintegrate. I'd go back for a lesson and see that I've reverted back to my old tricks...so no wonder my ballstriking went back to crap.

My monitoring myself with a camera, I can actually make legitimate progress. Plus I look at it this way....I'm better off recording my swing almost every time I go to the range because if I'm straying from what I've been working on...at least I can video tape it, see it, and work to cut it out of my system right away. That beats letting things go, then video taping my swing and seeing the issue and then having to work much, much harder to get something that I have now ingrained...out of my golf swing.

So I find the camera to be invaluable.

But also remember that you will have to work 'work your way thru it.' I've found that after a lesson if my focus is good, I can go onto the range...do what we've worked on (and have it show up on camera) and hit the ball well. But when you get on the course, it's a different story. Your instincts will tell you to go back to what you've ingrained, mostly because that's what you feel 'comfortable' doing.

I always tell myself two things:

1) Nobody said this would be easy.

2) Nobody said that this would not be incredibly frustrating.

But, if I'm patient and determined it will get MUCH better and become much easier and less frustrating.

3JACK

Well, if it makes you feel any better you are not alone. I'm in the same boat but luckily I videotaped my lesson and now I'm not doing anything except what he told me. If you are like me you are a "tinkerer". You see a new youtube video Brian puts out or you read some discussion about some "new and great" way to swing the club SOOOOO you obviously want to try it. Then you get off the path that Brian put you on and then start wandering down a dark path that ends up leaving you LOST.

You mentioned, "hand path", "tumble", "lagging the sweetspot", did BRIAN mention any of this stuff during your lesson? If so, keep working on it. If not, FORGET IT and go back to what BRIAN did with you during YOUR LESSON. I've messed my game up with all this "hand path" "tumble" stuff. Could this stuff help my game? Maybe, but I'll let the expert tell me next time I see him. Good luck to us all! :)

Curtis

ZAP

New

Difficult to say. You have to decide. Might go out by yourself and play a couple of balls. Play as fast as you comfortably can so you don't have time to over think stuff. Changing a motor pattern is a tough process and you have to realize that if you can make more swings where you get it right it will get easier. It might start out as one swing in five.

If you are working on more than one thing you can dedicate a certain number of holes or balls to one thought and then switch it up.

Just some random ideas.

You mention how you are playing, but not a word about practice. Playing is great, but you only hit 14 drives max, a few fairway woods, and even if I am playing terrible, not even two dozen irons. You have to incorporate swing changes on the range. Richie told my story from a recent lesson with Mike Jacobs. I was making half of the adjustments we worked on and the result was horrible. I had all the problems from the initial swing errors without any of the natural adjustments I was making to compensate. It wasn't until the Casio came out that I saw what I "thought" I was doing and what I was ACTUALLY doing were two very different things.

One long afternoon with the Casio and 150 or so range balls later, I was back to where Mike had me. If you do not have a good slo-mo video camera, it is about the best investment you can make.

leon

New
What not to do

I would definitely advise against getting drunk and playing night golf. Apparently my swing, which has been M.I.A for a while, wasn't out there in the dark or at the bottom of a beer bottle.

I'm with Jared on this one. I do care how I shoot a number, but ultimately I care about the number more. If I have to get up and down out of a ball washer so be it. So invest some time in the clean up department. For me there is a lot to be gained mechanically from short shots. What did you shoot? That is what counts most. Good luck, we have all been there...some are and all will be!

Swing to 'one last point' (SD 2.0) does it for me - gets rhythm back and puts focus on finish position.

Shortcut to making the club work like a club.

I gotta tell ya that after working with Bmanz and Mike Jacobs and learning about the d-plane I have learned what causes what. I don't have to guess when I lose my feel or mechanics. I just refer to the knowledge base they have given me and work through it. it doesn't come right back but I can rebuild the mechanics and KNOW why a shot did what it did so I can keep grinding with confidence.

Absolutely work on your short game.

I tend to stay away from video cameras when I struggle. It just adds to the anxiety.

Also, I would try integrating some shot making into your game. If you are a fader, try playing a draw for a few holes and vice versa. Re-gain a feeling for having the ball do what you intend it to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.