What's putting the brakes on?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You've initiated transition, the club has flailed a bit behind you and you're tumbling beautifully into the ball as you approach impact. You've just ripped five drivers in a row and here comes number six. The left side is opening up like a can of sardines and life is just wonderful...All of a sudden the wrist motion of tumble shudders to a halt, the left arm is now dragged through impact with the clubhead now being pulled through wide open and laggingly slow instead of snapped through with venom.
What mechanism can cause the above scenario? Is it a failure to interpret and/or action the tumble? Could it be that the body rears open quickly in a subconscious effort to allow the hands to go left with a resultant spin under of the shaft? Could it be a collapsing pivot? Could it be anything else?

That's a pretty good description when my weight gets too far left in transition coupled with getting too far right into the backswing. Easier said is swaying too much.

You forgot the negative alpha....

Possible whiff....
Brian,
I thought that the club flailing a bit down and behind me would prevent early tumbling. Is that not so? At the risk of opening myself for considerable amounts of ridicule, why do the vast majority of members seem to have a ball with this, while I am left like a freezing cold, shoeless ragamuffin, looking on longingly from the outside in?

Jeremy, Yes, I've lost it all:(

Oliver,
Sounds like a possible over slide past the ball combined with a never ending left arm/shoulder
drag. I know this type of action very well.:)

Oliver,
Sounds like a possible over slide past the ball combined with a never ending left arm/shoulder

Matt, Its interesting that you and spktho noted an identical cause. If I try not to slide, I feel I just spin around like a disco ball. BUT that never-ending left arm/shoulder drag is something I'm very conscious of doing. If my arms swing I do well, but that dragging feel just makes me want to vomit. I know its an effect cos if it matters not if I try to swing them or not, they do what they want.

I used to be an R&A + handicap with visions of going to European Tour School, and now Brian has looked into his crystal ball and sees a possible whiff in my future:( I'm off to take a bath with my electric toaster...

natep

New
I've been playing around with negative alpha the past couple of days. For me, I have to anticipate and prepare for it for the whole downswing. When you're goal is to push backwards on the top of the grip, your body and pivot responds by giving you something to push against the grip with. It definitely requires a much different pivot decel and torque application for me to pull it off, and I'm still struggling with dragging everything through when I fail.

The long ball is the prize for pulling it off successfully. :)

Matt, Its interesting that you and spktho noted an identical cause. If I try not to slide, I feel I just spin around like a disco ball. BUT that never-ending left arm/shoulder drag is something I'm very conscious of doing. If my arms swing I do well, but that dragging feel just makes me want to vomit. I know its an effect cos if it matters not if I try to swing them or not, they do what they want.

I used to be an R&A + handicap with visions of going to European Tour School, and now Brian has looked into his crystal ball and sees a possible whiff in my future:( I'm off to take a bath with my electric toaster...

That really does sound like getting too far ahead of the ball. Something I have to continually check to help is my stance width. Getting too wide is death for me. Also, I really can't think about not sliding or else I lose the pivot, kind of like you describe. A thought that has helped is to stay centered on the backswing and "get behind the ball" with the upper body on the downswing. And actually the reverse tumble/tumble really helps the stay behind the ball. I can't stress enough that you can't be in any hurry to hit the ball with the reverse tumble/tumble. I think Nate is also describing the timing too.

Last edited:

natep

New
natep,
Would you describe pushing back on the top of the grip the way you are going about it?

I'm trying to push the top of the grip away from the target through impact with the left hand. It's like rotation about the coupling point on steroids. I've always let the wrists hinge freely through impact, but lately I've been just pulling with the left hand and just letting the release happen. I've never really tried to use negative alpha with my left hand before Manz mentioned it. It requires a whole different timing of the downswing, it's hard to explain but I feel like I have to start preparing to brace myself for the left hand push-back very early on the way down. Feels more handsy compared to the dragging and pulling I've been doing.

I can feel so much more of a 'crushing' sensation when I connect (with the driver). You know that feeling when you know you've released every ounce of power you could possibly deliver to the ball on a particular swing? I'm feeling that now. It made me realize that I really hadn't had that feel in a while, I'd been getting too draggy with an inefficient pivot and release over time.

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Natep,
You think this push back might encourage the grip to stay put into the left hand post impact?
Thanks for your details.

Oliver,

Matt, Its interesting that you and spktho noted an identical cause. If I try not to slide, I feel I just spin around like a disco ball.!! BUT that never-ending left arm/shoulder drag is something I'm very conscious of doing. If my arms swing I do well, but that dragging feel just makes me want to vomit. I know its an effect cos if it matters not if I try to swing them or not, they do what they want.

Not so fast... this happens to me also and what has really helped to stop this horrid movement is to combine two ideas. 1 at set up add some side bend(might just be feel like you add more) brian manzella video i saw. 2 keep in mind michael jacobs bowtie(swing center) everything lines up just behind the ball. Kind of like using your left leg as a post and swinging against it not sliding into it.. maybe someone can put this in better words??? This is something that truly helps me thanks to Brian and Michael!! Try it... I'm not a teacher just a student of the game... good luck and make some toast in the kitchen!! :)

Last edited:
nate - I see what your saying with pushing back on the grip with the left hand, but the problem for me is that the judderyness coming into impact means I can't get into position to do that. The left arm is a blocker and when I pull back the grip I just end up flicking.

mjh116 - Don't worry about my suicidal tendencies. I'm English and, as such, only bathe once or twice a year. (not above risible stereoptyping;))

matt - If you could expandd a bit more on the endless arm-shoulder drag, I'd appreciate it. When I can't get the lead arm to release off the pivot, the arm, shoulders and hips just spin around in an effort to get some decent line of compresion on the ball...BUT they all go round together and the power is gone

Thanks to everyone for throwing a couple of pennies on the saucer - very much appreciated

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.