When to get new wedges?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRJ

New
I realize the PGA guys wear out their wedges pretty quickly and get new ones whenever they want, but for the average player (let's say you play once a week and hit a fair amount of balls on the range) when would it be a good time to replace you wedges for new ones?? 2 years? 3? 4?

I was at a golf show in March and Hank Haney was featured as a speaker 1 day. He was asked this very question---stated that Vijay Singh changes wedges weekly and Tiger changes his 4 times per year---a week or so before each major. I agree with the previous poster---I change when they don't seem to impart any decent spin on the ball anymore.

What about resharpening them? I have been thinking about getting one of those groove sharpeners, anybody have any luck with them?

What about resharpening them? I have been thinking about getting one of those groove sharpeners, anybody have any luck with them?

I tried one of those neon green deals from golfsmith. They sorta work but basically make the club illegal. Instead of sharpening the actual groove, in just raises the edge due to the pressure put on the groove. They say its usga approved, but that cant be. I sent my 60, 55, and 50 to nomadgolfwrx to get the maximum square allowed by the usga. I tell you how they come out.

The grooves on wedges coming out the last year or two are amazing. I got a new Vokey SM 56 degree wedge and a Callaway X-Forged (with the MD grooves) 60 degree wedge and those wedges will take the paint off the ball on even short shots. I have a bunch of balls in my bag that may look it like I play asphalt golf courses. I need to take them to the practice bunkers for a couple hours each to quit ruining golf balls - but I hit a 50 yard lob wedge on Sunday from light rough that backed up 4-5 feet on a firm green. Why screw around with old wedges when you could easily wander into a golf store and buy relatively unused used wedges made in the last year or two for $50-60 each?

Status
Not open for further replies.