Why do Koreans dominate the LPGA?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
The US, or any country, for that matter would dominate women's golf if it were socially acceptable to allow/force your daughter to:

1. Quit school or go to a massively reduced school schedule
2. Hit a minimum of 1500 balls a day or 8-10 hours worth of practice
3. Demand total focus 24/7.

We are just not doing that in the US. Korean fathers are revered, their opinion matters and for the most part they stick around. The US makes sitcoms and shows that portray fathers as dolts and idiots and a lot of fathers don't help the cause by bailing on their kids and responsibilities.

It's really just a difference in culture. Nothing to do with teaching. Just desire, forced or otherwise.

The US, or any country, for that matter would dominate women's golf if it were socially acceptable to allow/force your daughter to:

We are just not doing that in the US. Korean fathers are revered, their opinion matters and for the most part they stick around. The US makes sitcoms and shows that portray fathers as dolts and idiots and a lot of fathers don't help the cause by bailing on their kids and responsibilities.

It's really just a difference in culture. Nothing to do with teaching. Just desire, forced or otherwise.

So that's why European and US men dominate men's golf. Poor guys, they should give them the freedom that our girls have.;)

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Girls and guys are different, wulsy. I've coached boys and girls basketball and golf for a long time. Girls do not respond to individual sports without a lot of prodding or familial atmosphere. They are just different. Guys will spend all day everyday with no encouragement from anyone if they have the passion. In all my years coaching golf, I have had exactly 1 girl that would do that. I have had over 20 boys that exhibited the same behaviour.

However, when it comes to team sports, girls are much, much, much easier to get on the same page and get them to do exactly what you want. I think, from a male coaches perspective, this is due to the finite nature of team practices and games. Girls are all in for 2 hours, after that, they have a lot of other things they want to pursue. In short, girls, for the most part, are not "journey" oriented like a lot of guys are. Guys will work and work at a team sport, but often do so selfishly, and they get jaded a lot easier, plus guys are babied way more by their mommies than girls ever thought about.

So yeah, US and European golfers dominate because they are willing to put in the work on their own and have drive and resources necessary to do so. Most women just want to become competent at a skill, not necessarily become the best. Korean/Asian dads instill the desire to be the best, a lot of times it does not come from the girls themselves.

Last edited:

Great summary! I have no desire to sacrifice my children for such materialism.

Is "sitcom" the American word for "documentary"...?

Pants, trousers, knickers, arse, fanny, tomato, tomato - where does it end?

My understanding is that Korean men have to perform national (military) service. The Korean women do not. Some believe that this can partially explain the relative 'under performance' of Korean men.

That success is connected with work and desire in nothing new. But there's more to it than domineering fathers. For one, S. Korea is very rich, richer than most parts of the EU or US. Wealth and success are also inseparable.

Quit school or go to a massively reduced school schedule

I dont buy that one bit. Culture yes forced no. I've watched Shin practice 1.5 to 2 hrs most in one session, she practices in Duluth Georgia off matts

Went to a tournament at 9.00 in the morning. Korean girl on the practice green hitting putts. Played, ate, walked to the parking lot at 7.00. Korean girl hitting putts. No father in evidence. Hogan anyone?

D.

HBO did a show on Korean girls dominating the LPGA. I don't remember all of it but it basically involved the entire country behind a program that gets talented girls swapping school time for golf time. Just enough schooling to get by, plenty of time to get great at golf. It is my experience that an active mind gets in the way of hitting golf balls for 8 hours per day so keeping these girls out of school works for golf but may not be a great producer of well-rounded adults. Who cares, right, they are great golfers?

a
feShe the one that practices w times. Tiny out at Sugarloaf? If so, I've hit balls next to her

She bought a house in Sugarloaf with all the money she won .... she practices at Paragon Golf Center the triple decker owned by a Korean buisnessman... usually on the second floor left hand side with 2 other Korean soon to be LPGA players

Its the same reason Russian women dominated the WTA (tennis)... Ana Kournikova provided the "ignition" and the general lack of luxury with the promise of a way out kept the motivation going.

For LPGA it was Se Ri Pak (the 1st Korean woman to win an LPGA event; 1988)... Se Ri Pak was the only 1 Korean woman on the LPGA in 1988, after her break through and 12 years and 10,000+ hours of dedicated work later and you've got 33 Korean women golfing experts dominated the LPGA in 2007 (and even more now).

That theory is from Daniel Coyle's The Talent Code he explains "talent hot bed phenomenon" beautifully. Check it out.

Wanna see someone NOT reach their potential, give them their "luxury" for free... Wanna see innovation and success: give a glimpse that hard work leads to HUGE rewards (then give them some tools to work their asses off... poof... like magic you've got Brazil Dominating soccer, russian women dominating tennis, Korean women dominating golf, Dominicans (proportionally speaking) taking over baseball, etc etc etc.

A fascinating book.

Last edited:
Went to a tournament at 9.00 in the morning. Korean girl on the practice green hitting putts. Played, ate, walked to the parking lot at 7.00. Korean girl hitting putts. No father in evidence. Hogan anyone?

D.
He was smoking a cigarette around the corner every time you walked by.

Status
Not open for further replies.