Why I'll be the First in Line to Buy 'Soft Draw 1.0'

Status
Not open for further replies.
First off, thanks to Brian and everyone else for responses on my takeaway thread earlier in the week. In working with a lagging takeway I realised that part of my problem with mid body hands is just that I'd started opening the clubface too much on the way back. I haven't hit the ball right (AT ALL) in so many months, that I had gotten away from some fundamentals of NSA 2.0.

So I went back and rewatched the entire video yesterday, before my match today. This led to a round in which I had 3 penalty strokes on the par 5s, lipped out at least half a dozen times, and still shot 73.

What is so incredible about NSA 2.0 is that it is a FULL PATTERN. It's not just components (which is the way most golf instruction is given out, in dribs and drabs) but an entire package of components that FIT together. When I go with the full NSA pattern, I tend to hit the ball a bit too far left (and hence I have to back off of it a bit). But if I simply try to work within that pattern, I think I play my best golf - as opposed to working on a couple of components that don't necessarily make a complete package.

And this is why I'll be the first to buy 'soft draw', because a full NHA pattern, or even the 'soft fade' probably doesn't fit my natural swing. My tendency will always be to hit it a bit more right (and I can ALWAYS fade the ball at will), so I think the soft draw pattern should be perfect for me. But above all, it will be a full pattern that I can always go back to, over and over. And I think this is one of the things that sets Brian's teaching apart from the others.

So, Brian, please put me on the waiting list for 'Soft Draw 1.0'!

Have you tried twisting away less to hit a soft draw?

Oh yes, definitely. In fact, until I went back to NSA this weekend, I hadn't really been thinking about twistaway at all - and I took some video of my swing about a month ago (again, taking it back without twistaway) and I had a VERY flat wrist at the top. I've even incorporated some NHA components when I've needed to.

So I'm basically using the NSA pattern in order to play a 'soft draw' right now. Or, sometimes I hit a soft fade since I find that in playing in 30+ mph wind all the time, I almost never want to move the ball in the direction of the wind

But my point here was to say that 'holding the twist and lagging the sweetspot' are absolutely great fundamentals, regardless of whether you slice it or not. They especially make sense in the context of the complete NSA pattern.

Most importantly, I find it helpful to have a pattern to rely on, to go back to for my swing. Right now, that pattern is NSA - even if I don't twistaway fully etc. and even if I don't really need a lot of what NSA is offering to people who really slice the ball- but once there's a SD pattern, I'll be very interested to see how all of its components come together to build that particular pattern.

Most importantly, I find it helpful to have a pattern to rely on, to go back to for my swing. Right now, that pattern is NSA - even if I don't twistaway fully etc. and even if I don't really need a lot of what NSA is offering to people who really slice the ball

That is how I use NSA. I learned it as someone who already played a draw, but it helps out when I've tinkered myself to death.

Leek

New
That is how I use NSA. I learned it as someone who already played a draw, but it helps out when I've tinkered myself to death.

Interesting self. I've always played a draw. I am terrified of losing the ball left. Brian is switching my pattern to a straight/fade. I wouldn't mind a draw though. How do you overcome the occasional hook?

Interesting self. I've always played a draw. I am terrified of losing the ball left. Brian is switching my pattern to a straight/fade. I wouldn't mind a draw though. How do you overcome the occasional hook?

My miss is a pull. I avoid hooking with NSA by twisting away less, and not putting it on the movie screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.