Why o' why? (swing breakdow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Over the last few weeks, I've been hitting the best irons of my life...from long to short.

What really got me going was "confessions" and working hard on the pivot along with the right elbow fold (properly) on the b/s.

In fact, one day at the range, I had about 5 different people come to me and compliment on the balls I was hitting.

My confidence has really been building until a round last week. I couldn't hit consistent good shots to save my life. I was spraying the ball all over the place but the predominate miss was a hard pulls..tons of fat and thin shots. Another thing....I get to address and the grip feels funny in my hands....like no matter what I do...I can't find a solid feeling grip. I am checking it to be sure it's in the fingers, left heel on top, manzella neutral, etc.... I just get to address and feel like my grip sucks. First time experiencing this.

I've spent some time at the range and I'm chipping and pitching extremely well but still struggling with the full swing. I think I'm doing "confessions" instruction well.

1. why and how do major advances in the swing just all the sudden disappear?
2. Suggestions for progressing from chipping and pitching to full swing?

Thanks in advance!

Ask David Duval

If this didn't happen to everyone VJ and others wouldn't be hitting 1000 balls per day. The only answer is "its golf" - it'll happen over and over again.

The why and the how have no answer other than its in our coconut.

I experience it over and over.........I'm sure others can also "feel your pain"

Brian can surely give you the best answer....

All I can think of at this point:

1. Something IS different or you ARE doing something different. (mechanically or mentally or otherwise)

HOW to deal with is the next question.

2. Pressure and anxiety disrupting. ("in your coconut" like rbaumgolf said)

(and WHY?...and- can it be managed any better than it already has been)

3. You have compensations that are hard to repeat consistently- some kind of additional timed move.

4. Maybe there is a better pattern for you? (don't stray too far from home yet tho)

As for chipping/pitching/full swing...

To me it's more or less the same motion- just longer with different setups. (if you exclude changes to Aiming Point, Hinge Action, etc. based on the shot at hand)

Or at least that should prolly be the end goal.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Over the last few weeks, I've been hitting the best irons of my life...from long to short.

What really got me going was "confessions" and working hard on the pivot along with the right elbow fold (properly) on the b/s.

In fact, one day at the range, I had about 5 different people come to me and compliment on the balls I was hitting.

My confidence has really been building until a round last week. I couldn't hit consistent good shots to save my life. I was spraying the ball all over the place but the predominate miss was a hard pulls..tons of fat and thin shots. Another thing....I get to address and the grip feels funny in my hands....like no matter what I do...I can't find a solid feeling grip. I am checking it to be sure it's in the fingers, left heel on top, manzella neutral, etc.... I just get to address and feel like my grip sucks. First time experiencing this.

I've spent some time at the range and I'm chipping and pitching extremely well but still struggling with the full swing. I think I'm doing "confessions" instruction well.

1. why and how do major advances in the swing just all the sudden disappear?
2. Suggestions for progressing from chipping and pitching to full swing?

Thanks in advance!

What did Brian work on with you the first time he saw you? Never Slice Again?

your set up may have changed somehow from what you were doing, normally swing mechanics dont change overnight, but when you change your set up you have to change your swing without knowing it. Move the ball an inche forward or back and the swing will look different even when you are trying to do the same thing

Garth

New
I experienced a similar thing last week. Wasn't a total breakdown, but I had to grind out an 81 (1st +80 round of the year, TYVM!)... After the round I thought long and hard about at least a few total hacker swings that I made and I "think" I figured it out - TEMPO!! It was really cold that day and I never really felt quite right over the ball. I was getting quick and it had a huge effect.

So... My opinion is that when you have those bad days as we all do; look 1st at your tempo and don't do anything drastic to your swing. Heck, if it's been holding up great for awhile, don't let one bad round send you to the bandaid shop. ;)

I experienced a similar thing last week. Wasn't a total breakdown, but I had to grind out an 81 (1st +80 round of the year, TYVM!)...

(what's TYVM??)

BTW I'm thinkin about Bill......if he's hitting hard pulls with no curve that should mean his path is OK but clubface closed.....CORRect? Leakage.....

Low pulls? (Axis Tilt)

Last edited:
Flipping it a bit maybe, chunks thins and pulls?

Rhythm and tempo could also be your answer here. Hit a bad one, try to hit the next harder, things go skewiff....or get worried and try to baby it, rhythm and tempo change again.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
over-acceleration

You are moving your hands with your hands.

CURE:

Find a target about 125 yards out. Take a 7 or 8 iron—whatever is closer to 20 yards too much club—and make FULL SWINGS.

Hit a whole bucket.

Go play at somewhere between THAT speed/effort and FULL.

Report back. ;)

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Thanks for that Brian.

I am in a SLUMP. Steering, over acceleration. Feeling like a Jerrys Kid with a club in my hands. Today just beat all I have seen, everything low and left, lots of shots off the toe. It was pitiful, shot a freaking 90, highest score in 2 years. This being after 8 straight rounds in the 70's. Something is wrong.

I'll try your above advice and see what happens.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
If I knew how to do such things, I would. I have a digital camera with quicktime capable video options. Would that work, or do I need some super sexy video camera to post my swing?

My camera is just a little Kodak thing....it's mostly meant for taking stills. Not fancy at all.....really even a low-endish photo camera.......but I can do little videos too. (just not the greatest quality obviously)

Film-> put on computer just like a photo-> put on youtube or wherever-> post link in here.

I was playing with a guy that shot 32 on the front and while leaving the clubhouse before the 10th tee he looked at me and said "I lost it". I was like what do you mean you lost it and he said I don't know but it's gone. He shot 45 on the back. I'm not saying this is your problem but in this case it was all mental. I mean the dude lost his swing eating a hot dog? I'll never forget it.

I'm sure this is true Brian, I will do that but...

You are moving your hands with your hands.

CURE:

Find a target about 125 yards out. Take a 7 or 8 iron—whatever is closer to 20 yards too much club—and make FULL SWINGS.

Hit a whole bucket.

Go play at somewhere between THAT speed/effort and FULL.

Report back. ;)

Thanks!
THe over accel subject is what got me hitting well in the first place (lead me back to flipper)

Jim,

Also, to answer Jim....the biggest things Brian had me working on is...turn the shoulders on the b/s, twistaway, axis-tilt, bowtie behind the ball, yellow brick road.
when I get a bit stiff from all the practice and playing I do...I have to work a bit harder to turn back. I think I do the flat left wrist, bowtie and yellow brick road good.

Prolly started thinking about it in the clubhouse (over the hotdog).....anxiety goes up.....didn't know how to handle.....chain reaction. (OF DEATH!! ;))

Or maybe he is allergic to hot dogs....???

Status
Not open for further replies.