Why o' why? (swing breakdow)

Status
Not open for further replies.
1. why and how do major advances in the swing just all the sudden disappear?

Something changes physically. Your body is either avoiding some pain (could be minimal to moderate doesn't have to be major) or some muscle groups- Hips/shoulders etc have tightened. When you swing your body is trying to make "your swing" the one you have in your mind. It will do so in the most efficient and pain free way that is possible.
When you get a lesson you start to reprogram your swing and your mental image of your swing. Likewise, if your hip/shoulder whatever is tight/tender your brain will slightly reprogram your swing the best it can to avoid pain and still produce the best results.
The better the player, the clearer the mental swing image (usually) and the more pathways the body can take to produce the desired result.

grs

New
I went through the same thing last week, could not hit a drive off the tee without pushing it way right, finally on the last 3 holes I got my tempo back hopefully next time I can straighten it out a little quicker, All I keep saying to myself is Brians ideas work and stick with them, don't overanalyze your swing while on the course just have fun.

Incomplete answer- just fired it off

Major swing advances sometimes disappear because they're competing with the old information. You've been swinging a certain way for 5000 swings then change it - get a good lesson and hit 100 new improved shots you've now got some neural confusion. That's where the drills come in and really getting an idea of what you should now be doing. The analogy is that women often get better shooting stats in basic training because they come in without any bad habits whereas many guys have played army with bad shooting form for years.

This is mixed in with the fact that your body changes a little every day. Most of the time it's no big change but we golfers often act like the body stays exactly the same-every day and plays no role other than to carry out our demands.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents from where I sit.

All comments are appreciated....

Brian - Did the 8 iron thing. Was kind of hard because....had a 25 mph wind head on so it was hard to judge the 125 mark. So, I just took a swing that I thought would get my normal 8 (145-150) to 125.

Guess what...that easy swing was and wasn't the answer. What WAS the answer? I wasn't hitting the box with the lost swing. When I started "hitting the box", eureka....the pretty, shots came back.

The slower tempo allowed me to get that feeling back. Also, I studied grip and setup again. There wasn't much or anything really off there. On the backswing...I did need to feel that I was taking it outside a bit more. I think I was taking it too far inside. So, I kind of did a NHA type takeaway thinking about only that and 'hit the box" THis worked with the 8 (did hit about 2 buckets this way) and the 4.

HOWEVER, maybe my grip (hands) gets a little fatigue? Towards the end of the 3rd bucket (plus about 100 chip/pitch shots), I started getting that feeling that I couldn't capture the grip. In checking it, it was all good but...I just felt like I was fighting it. Any suggestions there?

Thanks for the great help and thanks to everyone else that showed interest in helping. I don't mean to be offensive when I say this but....there is a reason why Brian will be my life long instructor. He gets down to the fix FIRST TIME! Other suggestions can help but....he gets to the root quickly!!!

Thanks Briman!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.