Width at the Top of the Backswing: Who is it good for?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we seem to be having a "Is a (insert some component of the swing) ok to have in your swing?" trend going, I'll continue with it and ask:

Some players have lots of "width" (distance from hands to head, hands to chest, or simply having less bend in the right arm) at the top of their swings. Butch Harmon teaches it a lot, as do others. So, what kind of swing/player would benefit from more width at the top? Who wouldn't?

I look forward to everyone's answers.

I just played with a guy who kills the ball with the shaft an inch from his neck. I realized that he gets a lot of speed just by unfolding his arms in the downswing. The Harmon width thing does not make sense to me, although if you have a really loose swing, it may help with consistency. Remember, none of his pro students reported significant distance gains when they went wide, only more consistency and perhaps accuracy. Although Norman in 1996 Masters may argue that point.

Great for Float Loaders of the club. Technically you can use TGM 'hitting' (aka 'force across the shaft) and float load, but I feel that getting a lot of width is better for the TGM 'pure swinger' (aka force along the shaft) type of pattern. So in my mind:

Width = good for some 'force along the shaft' patterns, bad for most 'force across the shaft' patterns.

3JACK

Great for Float Loaders of the club. Technically you can use TGM 'hitting' (aka 'force across the shaft) and float load, but I feel that getting a lot of width is better for the TGM 'pure swinger' (aka force along the shaft) type of pattern. So in my mind:

Width = good for some 'force along the shaft' patterns, bad for most 'force across the shaft' patterns.

3JACK

Just to clarify, I'm still kind of new and haven't scoured the archives too much..working on that. Per Brian's definition of "force across the shaft", is that like pushing a shopping cart with the right hand, I think that's what I read. And "force along the shaft" is pulling a rope with the left arm...is that right? Also, is extensor action the only way to achieve the wide right arm for the "swinger"? Can hitters use this action and still be ok? Sorry, for the questions, I'm just really getting into the book, plus I kind of suck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.