Will lighter clubs help with underplane issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwat

New
With all the equipment threads going up, I had a question of my own. Most of you guys have all seen my swing and know my tendancies are to get underplane and have the clubhead and hands way behind my body on the downswing.

Without touching on swing mechanics such as swinging more left and tumbling, can lighter shafts and clubheads help get the hands catching up to the body for underplaners? The reason why I ask is I swing Project x 6.5 shafts and wondered if a lighter shaft might naturally put my hands more forward at impact. The answer to my own question is no, but hopefully someone will disagree. Need some new irons but can't go and get properly fitted until late this summer.

It's hard to say definitively that A=B in matters of fitting, but typically too heavy of a club will usually promote an over action. The same for clubs that are too long. They tend to activate the shoulders earlier. In between "too heavy" and "just right" is the gray area that most people have in their bags. The best thing to do is try a lighter shaft and see how she performs.

Jwat

New
Yea I need to go back and do a full fitting with cool clubs. I wish I had Brian present for the fitting. Then I would know I was getting fitted right from both perspectives.

For some reason I think they do. When I sometimes transition too fast my club gets WAY flat and it stays underplane the whole way. I'm 110% confident my clubs are too heavy for me. I think since the club is too heavy I have a really hard time getting it back on plane after this very flat transition. Takes a lot of force due to the increased torque. I could be wrong but in my mind it makes sense, once again I could be wrong. Oh yeah, did I mention I could be wrong.

PS Also, in the video where Brian takes about VSP and tumble, he shows where you have to "flip that sucker to the other side", wouldn't it be harder to "flip that sucker over" if the club was too heavy????????? I sure think so.

Jwat

New
Well I swung my buddies new Cleveland w/ the Myasaki tour superlite shaft. The head felt way too heavy and I think it caused me to get underplane even more.

I definitley like the even distribution of weight like a wooden bat.

Well I swung my buddies new Cleveland w/ the Myasaki tour superlite shaft. The head felt way too heavy and I think it caused me to get underplane even more.

I definitley like the even distribution of weight like a wooden bat.

You can always add weight to the grip.

Heavier grip, lead under the grip, lead in the shaft, or back weight system are a few options depending on how much weight you want to add.

oldpro

New
Or, just go to a golf discount place with hitting areas and try some lighter clubs to see if it helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.