Winding up in the downswing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
bcoak said:
Can you explain that in a little more detail please, Jim.

He's talking about rotating the right shoulder "downplane" to the ball. Too many people, including me for a time, tried to create that "rotational speed" by roudhousing. Meaning the shoulders turn too flat in the downswing.

You need to learn how to move the hips foward while keeping your head back so that you can tilt your axis and BE ABLE to get that shoulder downplane towards the ball.

Check out Brian's video on on plane right shoulder.

PLANE RIGHT SHOULDER

jim_0068 said:
He's talking about rotating the right shoulder "downplane" to the ball. Too many people, including me for a time, tried to create that "rotational speed" by roudhousing. Meaning the shoulders turn too flat in the downswing.

You need to learn how to move the hips foward while keeping your head back so that you can tilt your axis and BE ABLE to get that shoulder downplane towards the ball.

Check out Brian's video on on plane right shoulder.

JIM

I Don't see the plane right shoulder vid. Is this something one is not able to view on this forum? I take it's a video on Brian movie's?

Jim, Many teach to shoot the left shoulder up on the downswing, to get the axis tilt and exploded at the ball. I find they end up coming out of there shots with that function. Can and should one think of the right shoulder down back to the ball or does this also cause problems like hitting fat etc.

If you have most of your ducks in the water, how do you put the swing on auto pilot, and stop thinking of any of this downswing, or backswing junky.:)

What really gets you thinking is when something miss fires, you start to think WTF is going on. A lot stems from improper alignment, messing with the coconut.

True.

Setup is important...

(I think anyone in here who knows anything will tell you that)

I know what you're saying tho.....you start thinking while you're playing a shot and end up neglecting the first step really (lining yourself up properly)....which needs to be right regardless of what you're doing with your swing.

You're right.....when it's time to play.....it's time to PLAY.....no more mechanics....just: "Hit the ball there".....(and hopefully your swing is good enough to perform).

It's a completely different thing from building a swing tho.....which obviously is very important in itself. You don't change things just for the hell of it, you know.

Hogan wasn't born with a perfect swing (for example)....he worked on it.

Last edited:

Burner

New
Simply put.

Note the angle made between your left arm and the target plane line at the end of your backswing.

On the downswing just ensure that your left arm retraces and maintains that angle and DOES NOT move closer to the target plane line

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
lmisner1040 said:
JIM

I Don't see the plane right shoulder vid. Is this something one is not able to view on this forum? I take it's a video on Brian movie's?

Jim, Many teach to shoot the left shoulder up on the downswing, to get the axis tilt and exploded at the ball. I find they end up coming out of there shots with that function. Can and should one think of the right shoulder down back to the ball or does this also cause problems like hitting fat etc.

If you have most of your ducks in the water, how do you put the swing on auto pilot, and stop thinking of any of this downswing, or backswing junky.:)

What really gets you thinking is when something miss fires, you start to think WTF is going on. A lot stems from improper alignment, messing with the coconut.

do a search the video is here....the left shoulder moves UP AND BACK (not just up) which is important.

right shoulder down works for about 5% of golfers. 95% will do better with left shoulder goes up/back.

My students are proof of that!

Swing goes on autopilot when:

you have a flat left wrist
you have lag pressure
you are on plane

+ very educated hands.

HMM

jim_0068 said:
do a search the video is here....the left shoulder moves UP AND BACK (not just up) which is important.

right shoulder down works for about 5% of golfers. 95% will do better with left shoulder goes up/back.

My students are proof of that!

Swing goes on autopilot when:

you have a flat left wrist
you have lag pressure
you are on plane

+ very educated hands.

Jim

Are you talking the Perfect Pivot downswing vid? Or is there one on Plane right shoulder ?

Whatever people say, I think the dowel drills are a great way to learn the correct On Plane Downstroke motion of the Right Shoulder.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
lmisner1040 said:
Jim, how are you going about teaching the left shoulder going up and back on the downsiwng, without the pupil coming out of there shot? Blocking Topping? Pulling? Hooking?

Is not the secret, in the left wrist, like Brian says? Alignment and the left wrist do not get enough attention.

You need to have understand where impact is #1, i always get the "illusions" of setup and impact out of a student's mind right away. That's very important imo.

They also need to have a flat left wrist and SOME kind of clubface control. Then it is simply just teaching them to do it in short shots like pitches. Getting them to bump their hips and get their body in a position to get the right shoulder downplane.

I do a lot of demonstrating and i also put two long clubs end-to-end and show them where the TSP is and have them come down that plane with their right shoulder. This is usually a big lightbulb and they learn how much more "down" the downswing really is.

jim_0068 said:
You need to have understand where impact is #1, i always get the "illusions" of setup and impact out of a student's mind right away. That's very important imo.

They also need to have a flat left wrist and SOME kind of clubface control. Then it is simply just teaching them to do it in short shots like pitches. Getting them to bump their hips and get their body in a position to get the right shoulder downplane.

I do a lot of demonstrating and i also put two long clubs end-to-end and show them where the TSP is and have them come down that plane with their right shoulder. This is usually a big lightbulb and they learn how much more "down" the downswing really is.

Jim Do you have a illustration of this to show? It would be very helpful for many I do believe. How about anyone that can show what Jim is saying. Visual would be great, so I can see it, feel it and do it.

Thanks

Missing the Point?

Diggerdogg said "Winding up" in the Downswing. My quess is that he is creating more torque (trunk rotation) as Start Down begins, that is delaying the rotation of the Body (Pivot) so that the Hip Turn and Hip Action can have a head start.

Whatever people say, I think the dowel drills are a great way to learn the correct On Plane Downstroke motion of the Right Shoulder.

I agree!

ldeit

DOWELL

ldeit said:

I agree!

ldeit

tongzilla

Illustrate the dowel drills if you would please?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Better than the dowel drills.

I dislike dowel drills.

Why?

Because I have had a few DOZENS GOLFERS who came to me for lessons complain about doing them.

There is a better way to do all of the dowel drills.

Just name one of them and I'lll post a video of an IMPROVED, easier, better, Manzella drill.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.