Winter Practice -- What to work on!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
General question for those of us that will be unable to play outside all winter:(. What things should be worked on during the winter? Swing a weighted club working on positions? Swing a normal club and work on positions?? Practice making a complete wrist roll (I was taught this by Brian ). Etc.... Any suggestions on what has helped you over the winter months.

Brian M. what are your opinions on this!

Thanks for your time!

Brian

EdZ

New
the momentus strength trainers are a good choice, get the lighter weights (6.5 I think). This is one THE best tools for a proper takeaway, and helping get the feel of the 'fall' of the club synching up your hands/chest. Lasers are also a great winter tool.

Of course, you can never practice putting enough ;)

quote:Originally posted by EdZ

the momentus strength trainers are a good choice, get the lighter weights (6.5 I think). This is one THE best tools for a proper takeaway, and helping get the feel of the 'fall' of the club synching up your hands/chest. Lasers are also a great winter tool.

Of course, you can never practice putting enough ;)
I used a "momentus" like club that I made all last winter. I kept it next to my favorite chair so that I could swing it every day. I believe it helped a lot.

Now about the putting .....
I have a nice carpeted surface at one ond of my home office floor with one of those cups that return the ball. What would a typical winter practice session consist of?

EdZ

New
the strength trainer is different, it has weight above and below the hands, better at keeping the takeaway on plane

I use a 6.5 Momentus Strength Trainer
It's very good. surprisingly, it helps me get a full shoulder turn, even though I'm not really thinking about that as I swing with it.
And at only 30 inches in length, u never break anything when u r swing it at home.
i wonder what kind of person swings the 11.5 lb Momentus

Swinging a momentus won’t do diddle squat. If you have a winter to invest, go to a gym work strength, flexibility and by all means get rid of that gut. “Hit the ball with your belly.”

Check out Rick Smith and do mirror work without a club. Smith did almost two years of mirror work when he was out with an injury, saved his game and learned a lot about the swing.

And if you can check out Elliot Richardson on an old Academy Live, he teaches the swing without a club to students for months before they even hit a ball.

Momentus is a nice club to swing before a round.

I thought it was **** too, before I really used it properly.
The Momentus strength is a good club. It's short, so you can swing indoors, no problem.
I don't make full swings with it, although some people do. It's great for practicing the address position. The club is heavy enough that you really don't get lazy about the original shaft plane angle. You really think about it when you make your address with this club. And you use this feeling when you go back to your normal clubs.

2. on the backswing it's easy to stay on plane with this. Just like the drill where you hold a medicine ball and do your swing, you won't bring this inside or outside on the backswing, b/c it will feel like you are holding it inefficiently.

3. It helps you make a consistent top of the backswing. it's heavy, so you definitely complete the shoulder turn, and you won't "lift your arms" or cross the line at the top. As you know, most people go further at the top of the backswing position than they think. But this stops that.

The list goes on.

It's an EXCELLENT tool, but really it's about how much money you're willing to spend. Some people buy every tool out there. And this one costs $99. That's too much for a lot of people to spend on a training aid when there's so many to choose from.

quote:Originally posted by mothership

I thought it was **** too, before I really used it properly.
The Momentus strength is a good club. It's short, so you can swing indoors, no problem.
I don't make full swings with it, although some people do. It's great for practicing the address position. The club is heavy enough that you really don't get lazy about the original shaft plane angle. You really think about it when you make your address with this club. And you use this feeling when you go back to your normal clubs.

2. on the backswing it's easy to stay on plane with this. Just like the drill where you hold a medicine ball and do your swing, you won't bring this inside or outside on the backswing, b/c it will feel like you are holding it inefficiently.

3. It helps you make a consistent top of the backswing. it's heavy, so you definitely complete the shoulder turn, and you won't "lift your arms" or cross the line at the top. As you know, most people go further at the top of the backswing position than they think. But this stops that.

The list goes on.

It's an EXCELLENT tool, but really it's about how much money you're willing to spend. Some people buy every tool out there. And this one costs $99. That's too much for a lot of people to spend on a training aid when there's so many to choose from.

Oh I agree with everything you say about it, Ive used it (cept now because of Brian, the gripe is wrong)and i think it is great to swing before a round. If you got a long winter - do more. Get some tummy muscles.

EdZ

New
I use the 11.5 specifically for address and hip to hip 'balance' practice, and to feel the 'swing' and my body stay in synch. The heavier weight really helps you feel your footwork and weight shift being 'the' motivating force, and keeping your hands passive, on plane, and in synch with the chest.

I know that this thread started out with "WHAT" to practice. So hopefully this won't be "jacking," but I recommend that any of you in the cold, go visit my website and take a look at "taking it to the fourth level," and the 32 ball drill. Those are about the "HOW to" practice part. Those may give you some ideas about how to manage the off-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.