Wonders never cease......

Status
Not open for further replies.
I checked out some video recaps of yesterday's tournament on Golf Channel's website, and was amazed to hear Chamblee say the following (paraphrasing):

Tiger's problems with distance control are due in large part to working on too much forward lean at impact. The best ballstrikers in the world, Nicklaus, Hogan, etc., "threw" the club at the ball from the top, and didn't try for lag or forward lean. Tiger is going to have distance control problems with the short clubs as long as he tries for more lag or forward lean at impact.​

To me, that is one of the more sensible, logical insights he's given into the golf swing. To repeat the title of this post....Wonders Never Cease.

Dariusz J.

I agree. Post-secret Hogan started to treat lag as a simple physical phenomenon resulting from swing motion mechanics. He was not afraid to be with his hands OTT a bit as well during the downswing.
I am shocked that such a commentary was said aloud on Golf Channel. Thought they are in the 70-ies with their knowledge.

Cheers

It really makes me wonder if Chamblee visits this site....I have heard Brian say many times it looks good on video but.....

I agree. Post-secret Hogan started to treat lag as a simple physical phenomenon resulting from swing motion mechanics. He was not afraid to be with his hands OTT a bit as well during the downswing.
I am shocked that such a commentary was said aloud on Golf Channel. Thought they are in the 70-ies with their knowledge.

Cheers

How do you know Tiger is not doing the same?

Dariusz J.

How do you know Tiger is not doing the same?

I do not know and I hardly care what he's doing.
Reading the net I've seen some comments what his coach wants him to do (e.g. straighten the rear arm earlier or use body less) which is an atithesis what Hogan changed in his swing. I can stand corrected if I read wrong info though.

Cheers

I may be missing the point, but isn't it more important to deliver a consistent amount of shaft lean, rather than a lot or a little. I mean, there have been great wedge players who have quite a bit of shaft lean and others who had very little. Whether they had one side or the other, I'm guessing they were fairly consistent on how much lean they delivered.

I know Tiger has more lean, but damn, he's flying greens from 120, and missing others short, so my guess is he's inconsistent in his delivery. One shot has a lot of lean, the next doesn't have any.

It really makes me wonder if Chamblee visits this site....I have heard Brian say many times it looks good on video but.....

Yeah.....it literally sounded like a quote from this site. That's why I was so shocked.

I was wondering how long it would take for a thread about what he said appeared here. Chamblee repeats a lot of stuff, almost word-for-word that can be found on numerous golf forums.

I may be missing the point, but isn't it more important to deliver a consistent amount of shaft lean, rather than a lot or a little. I mean, there have been great wedge players who have quite a bit of shaft lean and others who had very little. Whether they had one side or the other, I'm guessing they were fairly consistent on how much lean they delivered.

I know Tiger has more lean, but damn, he's flying greens from 120, and missing others short, so my guess is he's inconsistent in his delivery. One shot has a lot of lean, the next doesn't have any.

I think the less forward lean you have the easier it is to be be consistent with the AoA.

As for great wedge players with quite a bit of shaft lean, I'm not so sure about that. Sounds like maybe they were great 'leading edge' players.

Status
Not open for further replies.