World Domination: US Vs European tour

Status
Not open for further replies.
In mgranato's thread about the next five years, jimmyt picked a golfer for each side of the pond. What's the difference in terms of ability to dominate the US tour versus the European tour? Is there a preferred Trackman set-up for the conditions on each tour?

I've played both American style and links golf and always shot about the same scores. Just wondering why a player could dominate on one side and not the other. Anyone know?

anecdotally, I've heard that tour greens in the states tend to be faster, truer and in places, grainier, than you typically find in europe - and so players going from europe to the states can struggle a bit on the greens

even in the UK I would guess that only a minority of golf is played in true links conditions. but when you look at the record of americans in the Open - especially the wins by todd hamilton and ben curtis - you'd have to think that pros can adapt pretty quickly. I'll go out on a limb here and suggest that it takes most players longer to learn to play augusta than it takes to play links golf.

Yeah, the Euros don't play links golf, 'cept for the Open.

Logistics would probably be the biggest reason.

My only links experience is at Bandon Dunes Resort (probably 12 rounds total, so far), and I really do enjoy it. But, if I had to pick one style of course to play for the rest of my life, it'd probably be the older, tree lined style, country club-type courses. Not a fun decision to make, however.

I suppose I was thinking about Monty when I started this thread. Didn't he lead the order of merit in Europe for years without ever winning in the States? He went to college in Texas, so he should have been comfortable. Maybe one of the new breed of Euro golfers will develop a game and attitude that travels, and become the Gary Player of his time.

It's heathland courses for me...

I suppose I was thinking about Monty when I started this thread. Didn't he lead the order of merit in Europe for years without ever winning in the States? He went to college in Texas, so he should have been comfortable. Maybe one of the new breed of Euro golfers will develop a game and attitude that travels, and become the Gary Player of his time.

It's heathland courses for me...

Yes you would think he would be comfortable in the US as the faster greens would suit his putting stroke but he never did take up the many offers of a US tour card because he wanted to stay in England with his family. Imo for a European player to have great success in the US they have to move over there and play the tour full time like Tony Jacklin did.

Status
Not open for further replies.