Flipper needs some help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Well I actually just got back from another lesson yesterday. Was told to completely scrap my old swing as that swing will always flip. Now I'm supposed to do nothing but hit punch shots and that the full swing is nothing but a longer punch. I feel like I'm back at square one but I'm going to get through this if it's the last thing I ever do.

All I can say about that "prescription" is that is can work.

I used to do this a lot way back when.

There was a guy I taught back in 1991, who had the worst flip ever. I gave him 47 lessons over about 5 months, starting with chipping only. He wasn't allowed top hit a pitch shot until his chip was good, and the then we moved on from there.

He didn't flip it a lick when we were finished.

But....

I promise you, I could go back in a Time Machine, and do a better job in less than half the time, without doing hardly ANY lessons with just less-the-full shots.

Why? How?

I've learned a LOT since 1991.

In 1991, I was four years into "Chip, Pitch, Punch, Swing." And that was the year I gave the famous 10th lesson to the lady who's progress I wasn't happy with.

A lot has happened since then.

I have benefitted a LOT from my long-term goals, and struggles to get to the top.

I am very confident that my current techniques for improving the ball-striking of a "flipper" is better.

But, the other way can work.

Thanks Brian,

Just needed some time to get used to it. Been practicing for a few weeks and I'm pretty sure I've cured my slice.

Played two rounds and started hooking by the second round. I stopped actively trying to twistaway and started hitting them strait and far.

I need to go to the range and see if I can fine tune and tweak it.

So far so good.

Brian, is there anyone around the Memphis area that you would recommend to take lessons from? I'm driving a hour and a half to Memphis now so I don't mind a little distance.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Brian, is there anyone around the Memphis area that you would recommend to take lessons from? I'm driving a hour and a half to Memphis now so I don't mind a little distance.

Before I started traveling around the country, and having folks travel from around the world to work with me, I was asked to "recommend" teachers all the time.

As an Authorized Instructor of The Golfing Machine, I get similar request about other "AIs."

I have always found it very difficult to recommend a teacher I have never seen teach, and often don't really know much about what, or how, they instruct.

That's why I started my Brian Manzella Instructor Network. I know what all of those guys teach, because I have seen them all teach, and they all know and use a lot of my "stuff."

This year, I will be starting some new teacher training, which could one day develop into a larger network of quality teaching professionals that I have sen teach, and have a great idea of what and how they do it.

There are other teachers that I have seen teach that I would recommend around the country, that are not "Manzella Instructors" per se, but I know their how, why and what, and approve of it.

I am sorry I haven't seen any guys from that area teach, and spent anytime with them taking shop to know what they believe in.

How I wish someone halfway around the globe actually attends one of your training classes and ends up being a BM instructor :)

Flying halfway around the world for instructions definitely does not cut it unless you are filthy rich. :D

Dribble the ball on the wall and Harley Davidson rev up the engine with that grip with the left hand on the DS works for me:)

This is what I'm basically doing now after my lesson with Brian. The right palm away is the real KEY for me on the DS. I've been doing some searches and even Kevin mentioned that the right palm move was one of his best lessons also. So that says something.

Right Palm

Curtis....I haven't seen the Right Palm move described anywhere. Could you give us a brief description of what it is and what it is designed to do to your ball flight?

Curtis....I haven't seen the Right Palm move described anywhere. Could you give us a brief description of what it is and what it is designed to do to your ball flight?

Brian never discussed the righ palm going back with me but many have discussed it here on the forum with the "basketball dribble" analogy, try a search maybe. With my lesson, during the early phase of my DS I basically try to turn the face away from me. I didn't really get it until a few weeks after my lesson. It has helped tremendously for me. While searching "right palm" stuff related to the golf swing I found a couple good nuggets, one from our very own Kevin Shields:

10 tips ... that will improve your golf game

This is from the inventor of the Swing Chain (or whatever it's called)

Secret to Squaring Your Clubface :: Oceanic Time Warner Cable's AroundHawaii.com

People flip due to incorrect creation and divertion of momentum.

Trying to not flip by concentrating on wrist positions is sheer lunacy. This is why a lot of TGM strikers have moronic wrist conditions into (but not exclusively) impact.

Trying to not flip by concentrating on wrist positions is sheer lunacy. This is why a lot of TGM strikers have moronic wrist conditions into (but not exclusively) impact.

Not sure if this is directed at my reply but if it was everything I was describing was basically for controlling the face.

This is a bold statement. I would appreciate it if you would explain either or both what you mean by "incorrect creation and divertion of momentum" or how to go about correctly creating and diverting momentum.

Thanks,
p

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
This is a bold statement. I would appreciate it if you would explain either or both what you mean by "incorrect creation and divertion of momentum" or how to go about correctly creating and diverting momentum.

Thanks,
p

I wouldnt hold your breath.

Right Palm Move

A good way to learn this without a club is Brian's ball toss drill. If you don't get that hand over, the ball goes right, always. See Brian's last online broadcast, near the end, or the video that I can't remember the name of.

A good way to learn this without a club is Brian's ball toss drill. If you don't get that hand over, the ball goes right, always. See Brian's last online broadcast, near the end, or the video that I can't remember the name of.

Is it in the Soft Draw dvd?

Status
Not open for further replies.