TrackMan Newsletter #7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The following is the TrackMan Newsletter #7 released today.

Very exciting stuff, very cool new upgrades, priceless images and information, TOP FLIGHT company.

TrackMan - Golf Radar Solution

newsletter7_Page_01.jpg
newsletter7_Page_02.jpg
newsletter7_Page_03.jpg
newsletter7_Page_04.jpg
newsletter7_Page_05.jpg
newsletter7_Page_06.jpg
newsletter7_Page_07.jpg
newsletter7_Page_08.jpg
newsletter7_Page_09.jpg
newsletter7_Page_10.jpg
newsletter7_Page_11.jpg
newsletter7_Page_12.jpg
newsletter7_Page_13.jpg
newsletter7_Page_14.jpg
newsletter7_Page_15.jpg
newsletter7_Page_16.jpg
newsletter7_Page_17.jpg

S

SteveT

TrackMan Truth .....

GREAT STUFF, BrianM !!!! TrackMan is good science because good science measures and provides numbers that are irrefutable. Looking at Fundamental #1 - Maximizing Distance for a 90mph swing speed:

-5º AoA -- 129mph, 11.1º, 3690rpm, 191 yards
+5º AoA -- 132mph, 16.4º, 2630rpm, 214 yards!!

This data destroys anybody who advocates a descending AoA. It must have been a great revelation and redemption.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
GREAT STUFF, BrianM !!!! TrackMan is good science because good science measures and provides numbers that are irrefutable. Looking at Fundamental #1 - Maximizing Distance for a 90mph swing speed:

-5º AoA -- 129mph, 11.1º, 3690rpm, 191 yards
+5º AoA -- 132mph, 16.4º, 2630rpm, 214 yards!!

This data destroys anybody who advocates a descending AoA. It must have been a great revelation and redemption.

It was one of the top 5 things I've learned in the last 5 years of teaching.

Do a site:brianmanzella.com google search on hitting up with a driver.

We have been at the FRONT of this for a while, after starting in the back of the bus.

S

SteveT

BrianM ... close-minded people never learn ... open-minded people always learn ..... you have obviously learned a lot in the last 5 years ... to your credit and I congratulate you.

False science when mixed with fanaticism creates a monster ... and you have slayed your monster to emerge stronger and wiser ...!!!!!

BTW, BrianM .... with a +5º AoA ... how do you interpret the D-plane compensation?

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
BrianM .... with a +5º AoA ... how do you interpret the D-plane compensation?

Well with a Swing Plane tilted at a 45° angle, you have to adjust your SWING DIRECTION 5° to the right to make the path zeroed out, if you want to hit a straight ball.

21.8 yards to the right at 250 yds! :eek:

S

SteveT

Well with a Swing Plane tilted at a 45° angle, you have to adjust your SWING DIRECTION 5° to the right to make the path zeroed out, if you want to hit a straight ball.

21.8 yards to the right at 250 yds! :eek:

Thanks for the spoon-feeding, BrianM ... you obviously know your TrackMan data application!!!

Now, can you please oblige me if the Swing Plane is tilted at a steeper 60º angle like for a wedge but at -5º AoA.

(I'm draining your brain ... and relieving my brainlet!)

Nice pictures.

Couple of changes I would make in the Glossary:

Dynamic Loft: Horizontal is 0 degrees, not Vertical. 10 degrees DL is 10 up from the Horizontal.

Spin Loft: That 2nd sentence clarifier belongs with the Dynamic Loft. It would be more correct to say the Dynamic Loft is related to the static loft and can be modified with the shaft flex and shaft lean.

Using the new definitions:

Club Path = Swing Direction - AoA[tan(90-SwingPlane)]

Example:

Zero out your Path with a -5* AoA and a 60* SP

0 = SD - (-5)tan30*

SD = (-5)(0.58)

SD = -2.9* (to the left)

S

SteveT

Got it ... and now I will carry my calculator when I play golf ...!!!!!

(Edit: Should I assume this only applies to RH golfers ... and tan becomes cotan for LH golfers??:D)

Last edited:

Got it ... and now I will carry my calculator when I play golf ...!!!!!

LOL...just make sure your calculator has a tangent function or you'll have to carry the tables too!!:D

S

SteveT

Couple of changes I would make in the Glossary:

Dynamic Loft: Horizontal is 0 degrees, not Vertical. 10 degrees DL is 10 up from the Horizontal.

Spin Loft: That 2nd sentence clarifier belongs with the Dynamic Loft. It would be more correct to say the Dynamic Loft is related to the static loft and can be modified with the shaft flex and shaft lean.

Re Spin Loft definition: What I noted was the statement that "shaft flex and hands leading or lagging the clubhead will alter this (spin loft and dynamic loft?).

TrackMan doppler radar cannot track hands leading or lagging nor shaft flex .. it must assume these values and back-calculate other data. That's why it's imperative that an instructor's eye is needed to view the golfswing and judge the TrackMan data to that relationship. Your thoughts .....

(Btw ... I have a biiiig calculator ...lol)

Yeah, I was going to clarify what I said earlier.

First, you could measure Dynamic Loft as zero from the vertical and positive is "leaning back" from the vertical.

However, I think most of us think in terms of what is happing near the ground. Like 10* Dynamic Loft is 10* up from the ground. Rather than 10* leaning back from the vertical.

And since Angle of Attack is zeroed at the ground, why not define DL as zeroed from the ground as well?

Re: Spin Loft. Trackman from years past had always put the effect of shaft lean and flex in the DL definition, presumably because it effected "the face". You could say it'll all come out in the wash with Spin Loft, but I think you'd want to keep the SL definition "clean" and have face in the DL and path in the AoA.

Certainly the instructor can help the golf control DL with shaft lean. Perhaps a fitter with forward kick.

Are the heel and toe impacts as before or something new?

heel and toe are nothing really new, especially to Trackman users. Although it is tough to quantify because of the variety of heads, swing speeds and the ability to actually know where sweet spot is and how far off you actually are. I think as of now it is a very tough thing to measure, but fairly easy to generalize. Also there is bulge and roll to drivers and the face angle measurement is from point of impact on the face. So if you hit it quite a bit off the toe, the reading might be Face Angle of 2 degrees but center face may actually be 0.0.

As always T-Man puts out a great newsletter. Not sure about the re-naming of VSP and HSP though.

Status
Not open for further replies.