NHA hips

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon

New
Help, I'm struggling with the NHA pivot. I feel like I'm getting up the wall ok with my hands and arms, but I can't get a feel for the correct hip motion in the backswing. Feels like I'm sliding too much and I've lost a LOT of distance.

In the video Brian says to 'slide' rather than turn the hips but that the right leg should restrict the slide. I don't feel like my right leg does anything.

Any ideas?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
lost distance with what? driver? Iron? Maybe you are simply just not delofting the club so much and thus hitting it a more accurate distance based on the loft you are delivering.

leon

New
lost distance with what? driver? Iron? Maybe you are simply just not delofting the club so much and thus hitting it a more accurate distance based on the loft you are delivering.

Sorry for the lack of detail Jim. Lost distance is with all clubs - at least 10 yards with a 7 iron, maybe 15 with a 3 wood (was difficult to tell exactly with glare from the low sun!). When I have seen such distance loss before it has usually been down to a sway and this fit with what I have been practicing, so I figured that must be it.

I am actually hitting the ball LOWER with this swing than I was before. I had been working on twistaway to try and fix my big flip which was giving me an ultra high ball flight and lots of hooks, so maybe I am overdoing that. Ball flight is now mostly straight pulls.

Maybe I should start again. I have an inside takeaway and really flat backswing (arms well below a flat shoulder plane at top of backswing) and across the line BUT open face. I figured fix the face first and twistaway was giving me much better contact (although ball flight was still high). But I was worried about doing this with my flat backswing, so started working on NHA principals - now ball goes short left :(

leon

New
Well I must have just been having an off day. 5 mins of footwork focus and the distance was (mostly) back. Now if I could just get more than one thing working properly at once :)

leon

New
More carry in NHA, a lot more than in NSA...need to make sure you follow the sequence of hips, hands, clubhead.

Thanks. I worked a bit on the carry today and when I really focused on leaving my hands at the top I felt a stretch of my left arm which I never have before. I assume this is correct, it certainly feels like I'm storing some power (not sure where it all goes though :( ) But then I don't see quite how this fits with just dropping your arms (which feels like a really weak move to me, but I guess I'm doing it wrong).

As someone who has always had a "shoulder-driven" OTT swing its hard to get the sequence right. I guess its going to take a lot of work.

Status
Not open for further replies.