Great players and their neutral left hand grip

Status
Not open for further replies.

ej20

New
Nicklaus,Snead,Woods,Hogan,Nelson,Player,Palmer,Faldo,Watson,Mickelson,Miller,Greg Norman,Nick Price,Els and probably many more.A hundred or so Majors in that group.

They all have one thing in common...a very neutral left hand grip.None in that list have a strong left hand grip.

Why is it just about all the great players use a neutral left(leading) hand grip?

Any theories?

Chicken or egg: That's why it got "defined" as neutral in the first place...when you think about it.

You'll get the strong grip major winners coming at ya too...

ej20

New
Chicken or egg: That's why it got "defined" as neutral in the first place...when you think about it.

You'll get the strong grip major winners coming at ya too...

That's logical.

Sure there are major winners with strong grips.Trevino,Langer.But they are a definite minority.Trevino only used a very slightly strong grip if I remember correctly.

I want to add to the neutral list Mickey Wright and Anika Sorenstem.Sorry ladies for leaving you out.

Less philisophical, wouldn't you say those with strong grips tended to move the ball in only one direction? Usually a fade?

Perhaps you could say that neutral grips allow you to put the face on either side of the path easier...

What's your definition of neutral? Hogan's left hand doesn't look like Palmer's. I would also say Nelson in his prime had his grip turned more to the right than Hogan did. I would probably consider Hogan, Player, and Miller weak with the others on your list as neutral.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Nicklaus,Snead,Woods,Hogan,Nelson,Player,Palmer,Faldo,Watson,Mickelson,Miller,Greg Norman,Nick Price,Els and probably many more.A hundred or so Majors in that group.

They all have one thing in common...a very neutral left hand grip.None in that list have a strong left hand grip.

Why is it just about all the great players use a neutral left(leading) hand grip?

Any theories?

Woods, Watson and Palmer had grips when flat at the top had the face pointing more skyward than forearm neutral. Els has a bent left wrist at the top to get his face to neutral.

ej20

New
What's your definition of neutral? Hogan's left hand doesn't look like Palmer's. I would also say Nelson in his prime had his grip turned more to the right than Hogan did. I would probably consider Hogan, Player, and Miller weak with the others on your list as neutral.

You will probably find that there are no two players with the exact same grip.

The point of my post was that it appears most of the HOF players had neutral grips that tend towards weak.Weak as in current teaching where a slightly strong grip is considered neutral now.

ej20

New
Less philisophical, wouldn't you say those with strong grips tended to move the ball in only one direction? Usually a fade?

Perhaps you could say that neutral grips allow you to put the face on either side of the path easier...

Yes,in my opinion players with a neutral to slightly weak grip can work the ball in all directions better.Pavin could curve the ball any way he wanted.

dlam

New
Couples, Z Johnson both Master's Champs have strong left hand grips.

Nothing wrong with left hand strong.

dlam

New
I would estimate that for every one player with strong left hand maybe 10 neutral left hand golfer.
So chances are there will more winners with neutral grippers cause there are more neutral grippers represented in the golfing population.
Just plain probability

Status
Not open for further replies.