Bend me over (like a real golfer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon

New
Brian, I was searching for stuff about setup, specifically forward bend at address, and the only threads I could find were pretty old. Seems you used to advocate a lot of bend, but knowing how far your thinking has moved on, I wonder if this setup is still recommended. And what is everyone elses take on this?

I think I'm hitting it better and have got rid of a bad hook since getting flatter irons that require more forward bend. I worked on making a more upright backswing - and I feel that the flatter lies and posture adjustment helped facilitate this.

leon

New
I think I'm hitting it better and have got rid of a bad hook since getting flatter irons that require more forward bend. I worked on making a more upright backswing - and I feel that the flatter lies and posture adjustment helped facilitate this.

Thanks Birly. I'm hitting it better being more bent over too (think its taken away my space to flip) but using Brian's (old?) method and checking in a mirror it just looks like too much. Just concerned I'm overdoing it.

Good title leon:eek:

IMO, the LUDICROUS obsession in the past with "standing up to it", a pathetic synonym for standing absurdly upright whilst trying to hit a ball almost directly underneath you has ruined the chances of hitting good shots for many a golfer.

Since I was 14 years old clueless bambotts (good old Scottish word for idiot) have been telling me I stood too bent over the ball. Including coaches of the national team who had been brainwashed into standing too upright. Numpties (alternative to bampott).;)

Bend over like you want to have a good look at it while hitting it.

leon

New
Good title leon:eek:

Glad you approve. I was going for Brian meets Austin Powers.

IMO, the LUDICROUS obsession in the past with "standing up to it", a pathetic synonym for standing absurdly upright whilst trying to hit a ball almost directly underneath you has ruined the chances of hitting good shots for many a golfer.

Since I was 14 years old clueless bambotts (good old Scottish word for idiot) have been telling me I stood too bent over the ball. Including coaches of the national team who had been brainwashed into standing too upright. Numpties (alternative to bampott).;)

Bend over like you want to have a good look at it while hitting it.

Thanks for the affirmation. I guess I won't worry about it too much. Now I just need to stay bent over during the swing :(

I think it is all Ben Hogan's fault. Look at the drawings in "5 lessons" and see how upright he stands.
Well, if you are 5'8" (or whatever he was), have extremely long forearms and clubs that are about 7° flat, that will work. For other people, not so much.
Ever since I saw "COFF" and "SDP" and started to bend over a little more, I have really started to play golf, while before, I could never figure out how to bring the clubhead back to the ball at the correct height, and always hit it fat or thin, because I had to make all sorts of plane changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.