Clubpaths, and Hogan vs. Tiger 2000

Status
Not open for further replies.
So your arguing he's longer, big deal. Like everyone has been saying, unless you are a die hard Hogan is the best ballstriker fan, this thread is meaningless. When it comes down to the history books, winning golf tournaments is what it is all about. So B. Watson + Hogan does not = Tiger.

Yes Hogan was the most consistant ballstriker in his time and maybe could compare today. But that means nothing for the evolution of golf through technology and player talent. For someone to say that golfers havent evolved into faster, stronger, and smarter athletes compared to the 1950's is just plain ignorant.

Jeezuz...I am not arguing b/c he's longer he's better. I am just showing an example of Tiger himself admitting he doesn't have a particular shot in his bag that someone else has. And Big deal what exactly??? If you wanna gloss over the fact that part of Tiger's dominance(in 2000) was he could fly his 3 wood by 95% of the fields Driver then that's your problem.

footwedge

So your arguing he's longer, big deal. Like everyone has been saying, unless you are a die hard Hogan is the best ballstriker fan, this thread is meaningless. When it comes down to the history books, winning golf tournaments is what it is all about. So B. Watson + Hogan does not = Tiger.

Yes Hogan was the most consistant ballstriker in his time and maybe could compare today. But that means nothing for the evolution of golf through technology and player talent. For someone to say that golfers havent evolved into faster, stronger, and smarter athletes compared to the 1950's is just plain ignorant.

I agree.

footwedge

Jeezuz...I am not arguing b/c he's longer he's better. I am just showing an example of Tiger himself admitting he doesn't have a particular shot in his bag that someone else has. And Big deal what exactly??? If you wanna gloss over the fact that part of Tiger's dominance(in 2000) was he could fly his 3 wood by 95% of the fields Driver then that's your problem.

By the way I wasn't saying your ignorant, just so you know.

Dariusz J.

I'm sure in his day Old Tom Morris was considered a golfing god, I think today he would struggle against the top players and the equipment and courses they played then were just a wee bit different than in Hogan's time. Do you think Old Tom could give Hogan a run for his money?

Good you mentioned this example comparison. I am not comparing golfers, but ballstrikers. Old Tom Morris wasn't known as super accurate or with a very repeatable swing. He was just the best golfer of his era. Golf champions change, best ballstrikers are immortal.

For someone to say that golfers havent evolved into faster, stronger, and smarter athletes compared to the 1950's is just plain ignorant.

Of course they evolved and they are better and better athletes every generation. They are stronger and faster...but are they technically better ? Are their swing less timing dependent ? I doubt. This is a virtue that's independent on being a better athlete IMO.

Cheers

ej20

New
Yeah, that was something, there was another golfer in that to, was it Garrigus?

Yeah and Dustin Johnson.Bubba and Sadlowski made the final and Bubba was playing gamesmanship by hinting that he had to keep the ball in play.Jamie nuked it over 400 anyway...and in play.

footwedge

Yeah and Dustin Johnson.Bubba and Sadlowski made the final and Bubba was playing gamesmanship by hinting that he had to keep the ball in play.Jamie nuked it over 400 anyway...and in play.

Ok now I remember. Wasn't there some talk also of Sandlowski trying to eventually make the tour?

footwedge

Good you mentioned this example comparison. I am not comparing golfers, but ballstrikers. Old Tom Morris wasn't known as super accurate or with a very repeatable swing. He was just the best golfer of his era. Golf champions change, best ballstrikers are immortal.

Of course they evolved and they are better and better athletes every generation. They are stronger and faster...but are they technically better ? Are their swing less timing dependent ? I doubt. This is a virtue that's independent on being a better athlete IMO.

Cheers

I think that's not quite right. I think champions are immortal and best ballstrikers come and go, although some are both.

Dariusz J.

I think that's not quite right. I think champions are immortal and best ballstrikers come and go, although some are both.

In my opinion, Nicklaus and Woods (and others) will be just names in annals of chanpions, say, 500 years later while Hogan's name and swing will be widely known and still analyzed that time. Next, which Canadian Open champion will be probably widely remembered for next centuries more than 99% of Masters' winners ?

Cheers

footwedge

In my opinion, Nicklaus and Woods (and others) will be just names in annals of chanpions, say, 500 years later while Hogan's name and swing will be widely known and still analyzed that time. Next, which Canadian Open champion will be probably widely remembered for next centuries more than 99% of Masters' winners ?

Cheers

In your dreams. As for the Canadian Open champion reference I have no idea what your talking about.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Dariusz, I gotta say man, the image you are projecting and the statements you are making in regards to Hogan are beginning to look and sound odd. I understand you're a fan of his swing, but this blind devotion is questionable. I know you aren't from the US, so I have to ask this question...do you watch much golf? You are starting to sound more and more like someone who saw a swing on the internet, it made a huge impression on you and you have made it your only connection to golf past, present and future.

Last edited:
Dariusz, I gotta say man, the image you are projecting and the statements you are making in regards to Hogan are beginning to look and sound odd. I understand your a fan of his swing, but this blind devotion is questionable. I know you aren't from the US, so I have to ask this question...do you watch much golf? You are starting to sound more and more like someone who saw a swing on the internet, it made a huge impression on you and you have made it your only connection to golf past, present and future.

Welcome to the light:)

Dariusz - are you saying then that the swing in that footage is pre-secret, and much poorer than Hogan's good stuff?

Darius thinks this is pre-secret... I have respectively disagreed in the past...seems odd that for the Power Golf book (images must have been taken at same time IMO) the photos were taken more than 2 years in advance of publication (1948)...

The kind of slo-mo camera must have been expensive for 1946 era... and who is going to pay that money for a guy that is just out of the army (ie. pre secret).... but they would have paid after the 1946 season and Hogan might have been interested in the footage post secret... but surely not before...

All conjecture...

PS. Poland is quite an advanced euro country ...they have golf on TV so I reckon Darius has seem modern golf ;) ... That might be why he says Hogan was the best... alot of pros now hit crazy wild shots .... wilder than their added length permits.... Hogan seems to have had to get over that phase (because he had to ...to survive on tour)....but modern pros seem to be able to ignore it and wedge it closer.... different game now... less precise on accuracy.... less artistry more power....better equipment... (if better means great results for less precision)

PPS. Won't be too long before Poland gets their first Ryder Cupper I hope!! Darius, u know of any young kids who are showing talent??

Golfbulldog - I agree with both your points re the footage. I'm pretty convinced that the film is from the same session as the stills in the book. Nevermind the cost of the camera - I think those sequences were shot at Augusta. Just hard to see that happening for a guy that was struggling to stay on the tour. And as for why they would use old photos to illustrate a new book, it hardly makes sense to me.

Unless of course (cue dramatic music) Hogan wanted to keep his secret a secret and throw out a false trail. The truth is out there...

Agree about Augusta - not a venue you can just "book"....now or then...now matter how much you are seen as a "hard-worker"... ie. Hogan pre 1945/6.

WOuld be great to learn who commisioned that footage... maybe publicity film for his book??? It is great footage and shows how Hogan tackled some difficult shots...hands on hips....thinking ...only draws the club from his bag when the shot has been created in his head... alot to learn from the non-swing footage IMO.

Saying anyone or anything, whether it's cars or athletes, 50 years ago are better than now is just being foolish. Back in the day they used shag bags, cut grass with goats, had Bermuda at Augusta and eight tracks were the shizzle. Let go and embrace the greatness of today's player. Damn!

Dariusz J.

In your dreams. As for the Canadian Open champion reference I have no idea what your talking about.

I should have said Canadian Amateur Open champion. You know who I meant anyhow.

Dariusz, I gotta say man, the image you are projecting and the statements you are making in regards to Hogan are beginning to look and sound odd. I understand you're a fan of his swing, but this blind devotion is questionable. I know you aren't from the US, so I have to ask this question...do you watch much golf? You are starting to sound more and more like someone who saw a swing on the internet, it made a huge impression on you and you have made it your only connection to golf past, present and future.

Am I really sounding so unrealistic ? So tell me why Hogan still attracts much more fans, theorists and analyzers now than any other current golfer ? I know that some answers are not comfortable for some - but the truth is the truth, especially on this site, isn't it ?
And BTW I watch current golf as much as I can in the net (since there is no much golf on Polish TV) and I see mainly whackers who struggle to hit more than 60% of fairways. Not impressive at all if I am frank. If perhaps I am fan of recovery shots, short game and putting, I'd be delighted.

Dariusz - are you saying then that the swing in that footage is pre-secret, and much poorer than Hogan's good stuff?

Yes, it is pre-secret. It is not odd that Hogan tried to protect his secrets (he did it many times more). The book (PG) contains only a very general info and his pre-accident swings look vastly different in many key aspects (grip, stance, CoG shifts, impact). Compare the first FO view with 1949 FO driver from competition from interactive disc of BH Collection and you will know everything.

PPS. Won't be too long before Poland gets their first Ryder Cupper I hope!! Darius, u know of any young kids who are showing talent??

Well, of course. The Junior Polish Team (where my son belongs too) have already produced 3 boys with a + hcp who have already some good successes over the European scene.

Cheers

footwedge

Dariusz said : Am I really sounding so unrealistic ? So tell me why Hogan still attracts much more fans, theorists and analyzers now than any other current golfer ?

The answer is simple, what other top champion golfer said he had a "Secret". Their( Hogan fanatics) all still trying to find out what that secret is and the funny thing is there is no secret. They( the Hogan fanatics) all think if I find it i'll be a great golfer or I can make money convincing people I know what the secret is. The Holy Grail, the Rosetta Stone of golf, The Secret , The Key to the Magic Kingdom of great golf. Hogan had a real good sense of humor, that's for sure, if you listen real close you can almost hear him laughing.

The secret is there is no secret! He just found a way to stop hooking the ball. He was already a very good player.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.