Tiger Wins

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you don't mean me when you say "people". I believe Jack is the greatest cause he has the most majors. Period. Even Tiger agrees with that.

Anyways...I digress...
Comparing Jack and Tiger's respective accomplishments at at 36 is one discussion( as you stated...Tiger has the better record). Comparing both when their careers are over is another discussion(i.e. who is the greatest of all time). That will be a summation of all their accomplishments (i.e. Most Major Wins). And if Tiger is to better that Major total he will need to equal Jacks "post 35" era (i.e. 5 majors). So far in that era, Tiger has zero. Tick Tock.

So you basically agree with me when your evaluation stems on purely what happens/happened when they are both past their prime. So give me your evaluation for the first 36 years.

I'll take a stab at this:

Tiger is a proven deadly front runner so Bay Hill was his typical greatness. An unbiased look at his Memorial performance would appreciate he indeed has an additional gear. To not appreciate that is ........well

How did I do?:D

No soup for you!

I have said repeatedly that both wins were impressive - Both! Two super models are still two super models, but it doesn't mean both are equally beautiful. No one would say "Jon's dating that ugly super model". C'mon. :roll eyes:

Let's try again...

Bay Hill was brutal on Sunday, most folks have forgotten that fact. Of the top 24 finishers, ONLY ONE player managed to craft a round in the 60's. Tiger tied for the second lowest score of those guys with a 70. Very tough scoring conditions that day.

Sunday at the Memorial saw 11 of the top 24 shoot in the 60's. Four of those guys shot 67, Tiger being one of them. The conditions were more favorable to better scores last Sunday (by comparison).

Here's nearly every shot Tiger hit on Sunday at Bay Hill. Look at how many stock shots he didn't play, and how many shots he had to be creative with... more impressive in my book.

When I read such comments I wish tee-to-green golf is not divided from putting.

Cheers

Yes, I know where you're going - I think. I never saw Hogan play and I believe that he had the most pleasing golf swing to watch on video. So maybe I shall say....

Greatest swing ever - Hogan

Best champion ever - Jack

Best golfer ever - Tiger

circular process as the only way to determine the golfers they beat is by the golfers they beat in turn.

Leo,

I am not sure what you mean here. My thought was pick a single metric, say percentage of top 10 finishes, as a way of determining the quality of the field that played in each major won by Hogan, Tiger, etc. I know a little statistics and would like to play around with this. Does anyone know where I can get reliable data?

Drew

Leo,

I am not sure what you mean here. My thought was pick a single metric, say percentage of top 10 finishes, as a way of determining the quality of the field that played in each major won by Hogan, Tiger, etc. I know a little statistics and would like to play around with this. Does anyone know where I can get reliable data?

Drew

If you know a little about statistics, you will know that your search will prove fruitless, as the fields were not at all the same.

If you know a little about statistics, you will know that your search will prove fruitless, as the fields were not at all the same.

Do you mean that the overall quality of the fields was significantly lower or higher in different eras geoplaten?

Can't argue with that and it is a variable that probably cannot be measured directly from data.

Interesting thought. Care to expand?

Drew

Sure, Jack has won more majors and that's that, but I do not believed anyone's total (all facets) skill can compare with Tiger at his best. Tiger has played golf at levels that have never been seen before. So, the major count makes Jack the greatest, but I do not believe he played at Tigers level.

Sure, Jack has won more majors and that's that, but I do not believed anyone's total (all facets) skill can compare with Tiger at his best. Tiger has played golf at levels that have never been seen before. So, the major count makes Jack the greatest, but I do not believe he played at Tigers level.

Boy, do I have to disagree with this. Not just because of my avatar either. Lindsey I don't
know how old you are but, I think Jack in his prime could hit any shot that Tiger has ever
hit. I've seen them both play quite a bit & I've never seen Tiger hit a shot that Jack didn't
have. I have no doubt that Tiger would not intimidate Jack one bit. If anything, it could be
the other way around if there was a way to see them compete against each other in their
primes. Of course we'll never know and it's just my opinion based on watching them both
play.

It's been a long time since Jack played his best and the '86 Masters was not his best even
though so many people remember that tournament as being his best. He could play better
than that. He hit so many spectacular shots over the years and so many clutch putts too. I
think a lot of people forget just how good he was at hitting timely great shots. I will give
Tiger the nod on sinking lob shots from just off the green, but, that is about it.

Good to see Tiger win again though. I always enjoy watching him play well. On to the Open.

Status
Not open for further replies.