Random Open musings. Oh, and my dad is a genius!

Status
Not open for further replies.

leon

New
Had a great day at Lytham Friday. My favourite quote of the day, from my dad. We were sat behind the practice ground, watching the morning big names and trying to get used to picking the ball out against the grey sky of British summer. I ask my dad if he's getting them and he says he's just watching the players swing. Then he pauses and says "they're all different". I just smiled.

Other random thoughts:

McIlroy hits the ball really high. No wonder he doesn't like the wind.
Bradley bends way over. Looks like he's playing with kids clubs (and in clothes he borrowed from his dad).
Sandy Lyle had the funkiest swing. Full on full swing yips. Still stripes it though.
I hope I've got as much energy as Tom Watson when I'm 62.
Tiger Woods may be the best golfer of his generation, maybe ever. But he's just a guy. In fact he looked less imposing than a lot of other players. All the talk of a buff athlete is way off. In fact it occurred to me he's a similar size to me, my age, and with my hairline. He does have a bit more money though :(
Smooth is long.
Not many pros moving much off the ball taking it back.
A LOT of normal going on.
Lytham is a beauty. Needs more drainage though. Bits of it were like Glastonbury.
£4.50 is not vfm for a Cornish pastie. Not even if it was table service with naked supermodels for waitresses.

Was there Thursday and Friday and had a great time. Have a few thoughts of my own

Agree about McIlroy. Think he will struggle to win an Open
Also agree about Tiger. Smaller than i thought. Different sound when he strikes it. Might be a great golfer but his manners left something to be desired
Tom Watson is a class act and loved by the crowd. At 62 can still seriously golf his ball
Adam Scott was striking it superbly and if that continues they will have trouble catching him
Wouldnt surprise me if Ricky Fowler or Zach Johnson won it in years to come. Perfect ballflight for links golf
Luke Donald is sneaky long
Charl Schwartzel seemed to stay very centred. Leadbetter leading someone else down wrong path?
Padraig Harrington gets it out there and hit a drive 355

Looking forward to the final round tomorrow and wind is forecast to blow 20-25mph. Could make things very interesting as if it does they will struggle to break par

Lytham is a beauty. Needs more drainage though. Bits of it were like Glastonbury.

How can a British Open course have too little drainage? What do those incompetent privately educated twats do with the VAST sums of money they take in? No wonder the country is in the mess it's in when they can't even get the course right for one of the biggest spectacles in world sport. Numpties.

Jack hit the golf ball every bit as high as Rory or higher. Three wins, 10 top 5s. The wind effect is minimized when the golf ball is hit solid. Rory is good enough to win anything when he learns how. Does get stuck under it though...

Jack hit the golf ball every bit as high as Rory or higher. Three wins, 10 top 5s. The wind effect is minimized when the golf ball is hit solid. Rory is good enough to win anything when he learns how. Does get stuck under it though...

Watson too. 5 wins and an almost. Hit it solid and learn to LOVE the muck.

How can a British Open course have too little drainage? What do those incompetent privately educated twats do with the VAST sums of money they take in? No wonder the country is in the mess it's in when they can't even get the course right for one of the biggest spectacles in world sport. Numpties.

When persistent rain raises the water table to a level higher than the base of a bunker, no amount of drainage will achieve anything.

hp12c

New
What a super thread nothing better than hanging with your dad at a golf event or just chippin, oh heck anything with pops is good! ;)

Sorry, wulsy, but I couldn't tell if this was tongue-in-cheek or not.

You do know they had the wettest June IN HISTORY, right? With the water table raised that high, there is just no way you can drain them – there is no "down" to drain them to.

Considering the amount of rain we have had i thought the course was in superb condition. Yes there were muddy patches but these were not on the playing area and had to be expected when you have thousands on people walking walking on them. Friday morning was worse because of unexpected overnight rain. It wasnt forecast and absolutely hammered down for over 4 hours which meant quite a bit of standing water in the tented villages.

What i mean by sneaky long is that he is longer than people think. They always say he doesnt hit it far enough but imo he hits it plenty far enough.

Forgot to add that Phil M was hitting it all over the place. Dont see how he can ever win the Open

Aliss is the best
Another great Alliss number from yesterday.
The announcers were talking about the different golf clubs in England, and Alliss was waxing about the clubs he was a member of.

Mike Tirico "What clubs aren't you a member of, Peter?"
Peter Alliss "Well, The Raymond RevueBar (famous "gentlemen's establishment" in London) for one"

And he didn't miss a beat - Superb stuff

How many of us would love to see him in the U.S as a counterweight for Miller's inanities?

Another great Alliss number from yesterday.
The announcers were talking about the different golf clubs in England, and Alliss was waxing about the clubs he was a member of.

Mike Tirico "What clubs aren't you a member of, Peter?"
Peter Alliss "Well, The Raymond RevueBar (famous "gentlemen's establishment" in London) for one"

And he didn't miss a beat - Superb stuff

How many of us would love to see him in the U.S as a counterweight for Miller's inanities?

images

Azinger not knowing unplayable lie rule in the bunker is ridiculous. He should be very embarrassed, but I doubt he is.

Azinger not knowing unplayable lie rule in the bunker is ridiculous. He should be very embarrassed, but I doubt he is.

But his comment about Twitter was spot on. :)

"There's a ton of experts on Twitter, I'll tell you that. Geeez.... what a bunch of clowns."

leon

New
Considering the amount of rain we have had i thought the course was in superb condition. Yes there were muddy patches but these were not on the playing area and had to be expected when you have thousands on people walking walking on them. Friday morning was worse because of unexpected overnight rain. It wasnt forecast and absolutely hammered down for over 4 hours which meant quite a bit of standing water in the tented villages.

What i mean by sneaky long is that he is longer than people think. They always say he doesnt hit it far enough but imo he hits it plenty far enough.

Forgot to add that Phil M was hitting it all over the place. Dont see how he can ever win the Open

Eric, totally agree the course was presented beautifully. Some of the spectator areas were a mess though. True there was a lot of overnight rain, but given what we've had the last few months it can hardly have caught them by surprise. If they trusted the weather forecast then more fool them. Even tiger said the British weather forecasts are terrible. I did see some guys pushing squeegees around, but it was too little too late. I feel sorry for the members. It will take a long time for the course to recover.

I always thought sneaky long was code for short :)

I also forgot to mention Phil. What a whiner. He needs to take 6 months off, go fishing and get his head straight. He was bitching before he'd even got to the first green. Stupid thing is, he got himself a drop in the bunker then nearly holed it. But there was no way his attitude was going to let him shoot a decent score.

And whilst we're talking about Alliss, his assertion that the open crowds are the most knowledgeable in the world is clearly not true. Just because they don't all shout "Get in the hole!" doesn't mean they aren't oxygen thieves. My favourite was when Phil hit into bunker off the tee on 18, so bunts it 50 yds down the fairway whilst waiting for the green to clear. When he comes to play his 3rd, I hear 4 different people say "wow, look how far Phil hit his tee shot past everyone". Oh yeah, he's such a bomber :)

Last edited:
My favourite was when Phil hit into bunker off the tee on 18, so bunts it 50 yds down the fairway whilst waiting for the green to clear. When he comes to play his 3rd, I hear 4 different people say "wow, look how far Phil hit his tee shot past everyone". Oh yeah, he's such a bomber :)

Now that's sneaky long. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.