A a piece of the game died today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Golf is not"fair".

Kevin, I believe he was responding to me. And sure golf is fair, that's why they don't do silly things like ban wedges considering the conditions of modern greens compared to the past. If they banned them, that would be unfair. The whole reason high lofted wedges were created was to adapt along with more severe greens.

...return some skill to the short game.

How many people have you ever heard say "Man, my short game is just too good. I wish there was a way to make the game harder, not just for me, but for everyone."

And i don't buy your argument about more skill involved.

Sunmart, have you ever hit a 64º wedge?

But it is "different". One stroke has the butt end fixed the other the butt end is moving. We can argue all day if it makes a "difference".

As I understand it the rule isn’t about the range of motion of the butt of the putter, it’s whether or not the putter is anchored to the body. The USGA does not consider anchoring into the arm as part of the body, but does consider anchoring into the head/chin as part of the body. The head moves independent of the torso as do the arm, both are connected to the torso, so why is one allowed and one isn’t?

It will still be legal to have the butt end fixed in one location while using a long putter as long as the top hand holding the putter is not touching the body. So less than 1/8” is the difference between legal and not legal, but in both cases the butt of the putter will be moving (or not moving) in the same way.

Why not say any part of the putter resting against or touching any part of the body other than the hands is considered an invalid grip? No other club in the bag is played any other way. I can understand that definition, but I still don't agree with the ruling. :)

Golf is not"fair". And i don't buy your argument about more skill involved.

I have to side with the Marlboro Man on this one. Do you carry a 64? If not and you can get your hands on one, play with it for a little while. It's a fun club. I bet you find it less "forgiving" than say a 56. I also think you would find it more benefitial is certain situations, but the miss is usually worse. IMO, the clubs on either end of the scale (1, 2 iron or 62, 64 wedge) require more skill to hit well, or at least more penalizing when you don't.

The only time I've found golf not to be fair is when someone is playing by the rules and somone isn't. I don't equate kind with fair. :)

I have to side with the Marlboro Man on this one. Do you carry a 64? If not and you can get your hands on one, play with it for a little while. It's a fun club. I bet you find it less "forgiving" than say a 56. I also think you would find it more benefitial is certain situations, but the miss is usually worse. IMO, the clubs on either end of the scale (1, 2 iron or 62, 64 wedge) require more skill to hit well, or at least more penalizing when you don't.

The only time I've found golf not to be fair is when someone is playing by the rules and somone isn't. I don't equate kind with fair. :)

I have completely whiffed trying to hit a 64 degree. :)

But it is "different". One stroke has the butt end fixed the other the butt end is moving. We can argue all day if it makes a "difference".

The way I interpret the difference is they don't want you to be able to use the butt end of the putter as a fulcrum (the support about which a lever pivots). So if you're allowed to anchor the butt end against your body that forms a fulcrum.

The one area of fuzzy-ness is you can't anchor you elbow / forearm at a 90* angle against your body, but you're allowed to "rest" one or both elbows / forearms against your body.

Putting should count for half strokes.

I don't know, D. It's the only shot in the game we try to hole. It's the only shot we are expected to control the part when the ball leaves the face and the exactly where it comes to rest. It's the least forgiving shot for direction. It's the least forgiving shot for distance. It's the most mentally demanding shot in golf. It's the most emotional shot in golf (more putters are broke and kissed than any other club). It's the most nerve wracking shot in golf. It's the most level playing field in golf where physical strength and speed do not provide an advantage. It's the spot of the course that attracts the biggest galleries. It's the only spot on the course they present the trophies and checks. It's the spot on the course that receives the most advanced agronomics. It's the spot on the course that receives the most care. It's the club that gets the most use. It's the least forgiving club.

The juice I get from getting the ball in a 4.25" hole across a double breaking slope from 15' far outweighs the "meh" from hitting an 8,500 square foot green from 150. :) Shouldn't the easier task count less?

ZAP

New
Wow. I had no idea they were even seriously considering doing this. I have to say I have never really considered long putters an advantage but I have always considered them non-golf in some way.

dbl

New
Hmm. So where would the Langer yip-grip fall? The handle wasn't "resting" against his forearm, it was bloody-well clamped.

It may be answered already (I'm a few pages behind) but go to the USGA site as they have a gallery or allowed grips (and also prohibited ones).

For instance these are the allowed ones:

When the first image pops up go left once (it is actually the last picture in the series)
USGA: Photo Gallery

It seems forearms are fair game to use anyway you want, unless making a pivot for the bottom hand to rotate around.

Last edited:
I only say the half stroke thing because I can never putt when my ball striking is on fire. And I can only putt when I am sucking it up otherwise.

Good riddance. They will make good dust busters though. Tape a feather duster to the head and get the cobwebs out of the hard to reach corners.

1. I've tried long putters and belly putters and I never felt like it made putting any easier. Putting still requires green reading, speed control, and the ability to start the ball on the correct line.

2. Why change the rule to define anchoring? Why not just state that the putter must be the shortest club in the bag and then allow the player to use whatever stroke method they like within that parameter?

I took a very deep dive with the belly putter almost a year ago exactly. I committed to it, practiced my butt off with it and had it fitted perfectly. Anyone who says its not an advantage has not had enough experience with one.

It helps in 2 crucial areas. #1 the setup is almost impossible f'up because you anchore in the same location every time. #2 it DEFINITELY helps in pressure handshaking situation because the anchore helps you to steady the pressures of the hands and arms.

I quit using it after about 4 months when I heard rumors of this day. Glad I did.

It should be considered cheating and I wish the ban started on Jan 1st 2013.

ej20

New
People who think putting is such an important part of the game should take up lawn bowls.

Make the hole bigger or putts count as half shots.It's a sport,not a game played by old men.OOPS,it is a game played by mostly old men LOL.

Alls I know is, if I have the winning ticket tonight I'm buying everyone on the forum their choice of belly or long putter. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.