NIT?????

Status
Not open for further replies.
images

I've only been following college basketball for 40 years, but was always under the impression that winning The Tournament got you a 2 year exemption. Was told that's were the PGA Tour got the idea. Who else shares my outrage for this wrong of wrongs?

While we're on the subject of uncharted territory... Rebs, act like you've been there :p

ku-xlarge.gif

You know M, as a MD fan, thinking back to when UMD & Kentucky played at the beginning of the year, I thought that was one of the best games I saw all year. Both teams were (are ) very young, but I thought at least one of them, probably both, would get into the NCAA tourney for sure. Goes to show you what I know!

You know M, as a MD fan, thinking back to when UMD & Kentucky played at the beginning of the year, I thought that was one of the best games I saw all year. Both teams were (are ) very young, but I thought at least one of them, probably both, would get into the NCAA tourney for sure. Goes to show you what I know!

A safe betting strategy is to NEVER bet on what you think a group of 18 year olds will do. :rolleyes:

I can't recall a year where so many teams have a legit chance to win it all. No great teams, just a bunch of okay teams hoping to catch lightning in a bottle.

Wow. You were right, they will go anywhere to see them play. They do know this is a different tournament, right...? I have to ask because they seem VERY into this, and they are from Kentucky...;)

Don't worry Mgranato, the Gators will make you proud as they represent the SEC for those that weren't invited but should've been given an opportunity to defend their title. It's a 64++ team tournament and we don't have room for the defending champions, that's ridiculous IMO. I wouldn't be opposed to an automatic bid for one year.

Don't worry Mgranato, the Gators will make you proud as they represent the SEC for those that weren't invited but should've been given an opportunity to defend their title. It's a 64++ team tournament and we don't have room for the defending champions, that's ridiculous IMO. I wouldn't be opposed to an automatic bid for one year.

Thank you, sir, may I have another? :p

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
When you sign a lot of "one and done" type players, these types of seasons tend to happen. UK was soft all year and for the most part, didn't play very hard. These are some things typical Calipari teams are NOT. His teams are usually tough and play fairly hard, given their talent level.

I'm all for signing big time players, but throwing a couple of "solid" players in there, players that will be around for 4 or 5 years, gives teams leadership. UK's leader was a sophomore, pretty hard for a 19 year old to lead a nationally scrutinized program.

I will say that Calipari was more than generous in the post game presser by both praising RMU and making no excuses for his team.

images

I've only been following college basketball for 40 years, but was always under the impression that winning The Tournament got you a 2 year exemption. Was told that's were the PGA Tour got the idea. Who else shares my outrage for this wrong of wrongs?

While we're on the subject of uncharted territory... Rebs, act like you've been there :p

ku-xlarge.gif

Ouch! :D

When you sign a lot of "one and done" type players, these types of seasons tend to happen. UK was soft all year and for the most part, didn't play very hard. These are some things typical Calipari teams are NOT. His teams are usually tough and play fairly hard, given their talent level.

I'm all for signing big time players, but throwing a couple of "solid" players in there, players that will be around for 4 or 5 years, gives teams leadership. UK's leader was a sophomore, pretty hard for a 19 year old to lead a nationally scrutinized program.

I will say that Calipari was more than generous in the post game presser by both praising RMU and making no excuses for his team.

You've seen this a million times... just because a player can run and jump DOES NOT mean he is a basketball player. He got caught with 5 great athletes and not one player with an inkling of how to play the game. Last year he had 5 who were both. Great athletes can look like they know what they're doing against high school players, that tends to get exposed when everyone else you face is also a great athlete. Noel going down kept them out of the tournament, but at best they were a 1st or second round team, at best.

There's always a silver lining... I don't have to watch Goodwin anymore drop his head, close his eyes, and barrel through the paint collect more charges than points.

510e58804088f.image.jpg

eoscar

An automatic bid for the defending champion would be ridiculous. In today's college hoops you would be rewarding a group of kids for something they more than likely had very little to do with (yes I understand scout team players prepare regulars for games). Seriously, how many guys on the UK team this year contributed in games last year? 2? How about UCONN the year before? How many players did they return?

An automatic bid for the defending champion would be ridiculous. In today's college hoops you would be rewarding a group of kids for something they more than likely had very little to do with (yes I understand scout team players prepare regulars for games). Seriously, how many guys on the UK team this year contributed in games last year? 2? How about UCONN the year before? How many players did they return?

Hell, they didn't contribute to this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.