Tush Line

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having trouble keeping the tush line. Tried keeping it on the wall or chair, but seems on full swings my hips run toward the ball and I get really bunched up at impact. Any tips?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Well...

Not more than 10 times in my 30,000 hours of teaching, did I ever worry about the "Tush Line."

If your "front" is "running toward the ball" on the downswing, I suspect you are doing it to make your hands go that direction as well.

What kind of shot are you hitting?

usually blocks, pushes and some fatted irons, I really feel cramped or bunched up at impact like i don't have room to release the club properly

Not more than 10 times in my 30,000 hours of teaching, did I ever worry about the "Tush Line."

If your "front" is "running toward the ball" on the downswing, I suspect you are doing it to make your hands go that direction as well.

What kind of shot are you hitting?

Could someone please expand on the quote by Brian above? I'm having a hard time deciphering exactly what he's saying here. For a little context, below is my swing:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BeGA2Z5UNfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Jwat

New
Could someone please expand on the quote by Brian above? I'm having a hard time deciphering exactly what he's saying here. For a little context, below is my swing:

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BeGA2Z5UNfQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't think you have lost your tush line? I think Brian means somebody who say swings out to in and is trying to get their hands more inside, so they use their torso or tush to push the hands that direction.

I unfortunatley feel like I lose my tush line, but in taking lessons with Brian he never ever talked about it. Even when I mentioned it he said that wasn't the problem. Regardless I think your swing looks pretty good. Based on the swing you posted, tush line is the last thing you need to worry about.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Lifter, I dont see any loss of "tush line" in your swing. Hit it low? Favor cuts?

Jrose, jwat sounds right. If those are your misses, you may be pushing the hips toward the ball to help back up the hands to the inside.

Lifter, I dont see any loss of "tush line" in your swing. Hit it low? Favor cuts?

Jrose, jwat sounds right. If those are your misses, you may be pushing the hips toward the ball to help back up the hands to the inside.

Thanks guys! Kevin, you are very perceptive. Yes, my historical tendency is to be a low smother hooker. Part of this has to do with my grip. If you look at the top of my backswing in the video, you'll see that a major characteristic of my swing is that I have an extremely strong grip. I'm working on weakening the grip but it's a challenge to that because it feels so awkward at setup.

To make this work, I find that I have to work really hard to get my hips forward at impact. When I do these things right, I compress the ball with plenty of height. But if I spin out with my hips, I'll hit another smother hook.

Status
Not open for further replies.