1 dimple off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trackman says that if you miss the sweetspot by 1 dimple with a driver that is hit 250 yards, that will move the ball off line by 10 yards. Since we really cannot move around the lie angles, how would a golfer who is taking a rather good swing, adjust if they are missing the sweetspot by a couple of dimples?

3JACK

greenfree

Banned
Trackman says that if you miss the sweetspot by 1 dimple with a driver that is hit 250 yards, that will move the ball off line by 10 yards. Since we really cannot move around the lie angles, how would a golfer who is taking a rather good swing, adjust if they are missing the sweetspot by a couple of dimples?

3JACK

How would you know what to do if your not on a Trackman? Wouldn't you be just guessing.

leon

New
How would you know what to do if your not on a Trackman? Wouldn't you be just guessing.

Impact tape?

My question would be, do you know where the sweetspot of your driver is to within one dimple? Can you even measure it. And of course, can you hit the same point, to that accuracy, consistently?

If Hogan could get away with telling people to hit it on the 2nd groove, what's wrong with telling someone to hit it on the 2nd dimple?

greenfree

Banned
Impact tape?

My question would be, do you know where the sweetspot of your driver is to within one dimple? Can you even measure it. And of course, can you hit the same point, to that accuracy, consistently?

I meant on the golf course. Maybe just put impact tape on the face before the round..lol.

Last edited:

greenfree

Banned
If Hogan could get away with telling people to hit it on the 2nd groove, what's wrong with telling someone to hit it on the 2nd dimple?

Nothing's wrong with telling someone to hit it on whatever dimple, hey, if you can do it and know that you did it while playing, your like a human Trackman, can you even hit one dimple without touching another dimple, which one is the second dimple, every time i think i have it i keep losing it, they all look so much alike...lol.

Last edited:
I'm having a hard time wrapping my brain around this one.

What's the mechanism for creating the off line condition? Twisting of the driver head?

Seems there's SO many factors that could come into play such as shaft torque, release type, ball type, driver head geometry and weight distribution, swing path, etc.

Plus there's the whole definition of sweet spot to start with. A single, dimensionless point or having some surface area?

I'm not doubting your claim (OK, maybe a little) but being off by 1/16"ish left or right = +/- 10 yard shot dispersion? WOW, that would be shocking.

A few things...
-I heard it was 3 yards for each dimple off the sweet spot (center of percussion) at 150mph ball speed.
-We do not know where the sweet spot is for any particular club, it's only the size of a pin head.
-When we say a dimple off, that doesn't mean which imparticular dimple on the golf ball, that means where on the club face is the ball centered. Which dimple is hit is more of a clubface angle issue I believe with some path influence.

Oh yea, I forgot to say, the amount (3 or 10 yards) offline is in the form of curve (draw or fade). If you hit it off center, the face is curved to make up for gear effect. A for instance is if you hit the ball 1/4 inch toward the toe from center (assuming sweet spot is center) it could lead to a 12 yard draw but if the center of the face is 0.0 square, the impact spot is going to be open somewhat (I have no idea how much). Good news is, Trackman measures the face angle of the impact spot not necessarily center face.

isn't it the case that these days the so called sweetspot on some clubs is really a sweet AREA, so that it is more forgiving in a sense?

greenfree

Banned
A few things...
-I heard it was 3 yards for each dimple off the sweet spot (center of percussion) at 150mph ball speed.
-We do not know where the sweet spot is for any particular club, it's only the size of a pin head.
-When we say a dimple off, that doesn't mean which imparticular dimple on the golf ball, that means where on the club face is the ball centered. Which dimple is hit is more of a clubface angle issue I believe with some path influence.

I knew that Dan, just havin' some fun.:)

leon

New

3JACK

Surely if you are making a good swing and missing the "sweetspot", you just need to move your clubhead relative to the teed ball at setup. Tee it higher/lower or stand closer/further away. Is this what you meant?

Surely if you are making a good swing and missing the "sweetspot", you just need to move your clubhead relative to the teed ball at setup. Tee it higher/lower or stand closer/further away. Is this what you meant?

Not exactly. If your lie angle is slightly off, that could be the problem. How would one go about fixing that?

3JACK

3JACK

swing the opposite way to counter act the changed ball axis. In other words, if the dimplemiss creates a fade axis, swing a draw :D

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
Since we really cannot move around the lie angles, how would a golfer who is taking a rather good swing, adjust if they are missing the sweetspot by a couple of dimples?

3JACK

Please tell me this question is a joke???

By the way..Heard you have some issues with the Flightscope acceleration & speed profile.. care to share??? would love to hear your version of how it is dead wrong?

Please tell me this question is a joke???

By the way..Heard you have some issues with the Flightscope acceleration & speed profile.. care to share??? would love to hear your version of how it is dead wrong?

You claim in the video that you hit a 7-iron (IIRC)

Said something like -3.3* AoA
-0.1* HSP
And a path going left of the HSP (something like -2 or -3*).

Path can't go left of HSP...or at least by that much....when the attack angle is negative.

Of course, the video doesn't show a negative attack angle. It says '3.3*'

So a positive attack angle with a -0.1 HSP and a path left of the HSP would make sense and is possible.

But if that's the case, then FlightScope is saying that you hit up 3.3* with a 7-iron.

I don't think so, unless you completely topped the shot...which I doubt happened.

3JACK

dlam

New
Question

1)Does Trackman and Flightscope measure off center hits?
2)Would this be a viable way to fade/draw the ball? The heel hits give slicespin.The toe hits give hookspin.

Isn't golf hard enough trying to figure out path/clubface direction at impact.
How the heck are we suppose to control the gear effect of toe/heel hits. This gives a third variable to sort out.

Question

1)Does Trackman and Flightscope measure off center hits?
2)Would this be a viable way to fade/draw the ball? The heel hits give slicespin.The toe hits give hookspin.

Isn't golf hard enough trying to figure out path/clubface direction at impact.
How the heck are we suppose to control the gear effect of toe/heel hits. This gives a third variable to sort out.

I'm not sure what you mean by measure.

One of the beautiful parts of a Trackman is it can allow for the user to decipher if they hit it off the toe or the heel a bit, even if it didn't feel that way. If your club dimension say the ball should've drawn, but the spin axis says the ball faded, then you hit the ball towards the heel to some degree.

3JACK

Michael Jacobs

Super Moderator
You claim in the video that you hit a 7-iron (IIRC)

Said something like -3.3* AoA
-0.1* HSP
And a path going left of the HSP (something like -2 or -3*).

Path can't go left of HSP...or at least by that much....when the attack angle is negative.

Of course, the video doesn't show a negative attack angle. It says '3.3*'

So a positive attack angle with a -0.1 HSP and a path left of the HSP would make sense and is possible.

But if that's the case, then FlightScope is saying that you hit up 3.3* with a 7-iron.

I don't think so, unless you completely topped the shot...which I doubt happened.

3JACK

Early Flightscope measured Angle of Attack beyond impact, last I spoke to engineers it still does but they are in the process of or already have tidied up the system to more accurately display angle of attack.. so in original software not a preferable thing to be striking off a lie board or mat as is it bounces off the ground, much more accurate off turf as divot doesn't skew anything.

I grabbed an old screen shot and tossed it into the Explosive Golf Show to show the different parameters and measurements that 3D makes. I average between 3 and 4 degree downward strike with a 7 was the point, the screen shot showed a 3 up cause of the deflection off the ground which in turn throws the strike direction askew.

Looking back should I have used a different screen shot ?? A more accurate mathematical one? Yeah I definitely should of.. am I going to go back and change it -- NA.... my show's intention was just to show the parameters and screen shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.