10,000 hrs to be a golf professional - grade talent (well his goal)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not poking fun or taking pot shots at this guy, but hope he is not married, what would the misses think. Kind of jealous actually (married with two kids kills golf!).

Man quits job, hopes 10,000 hours of practicing golf will make him pro | ProGolfTalk

Wish they would have posted a swing / short game / putting.......would sway me one way or another. Otherwise 10,000 hrs of being stuck. Would be a great Manzella podcast if they could interview him!

Good luck.
JeffS

Not poking fun or taking pot shots at this guy, but hope he is not married, what would the misses think. Kind of jealous actually (married with two kids kills golf!).

Man quits job, hopes 10,000 hours of practicing golf will make him pro | ProGolfTalk

Wish they would have posted a swing / short game / putting.......would sway me one way or another. Otherwise 10,000 hrs of being stuck. Would be a great Manzella podcast if they could interview him!

Good luck.
JeffS

My gf sent me another story on this guy a few weeks ago. You can see his swing on his website: The Dan Plan - deliberate practice

Apparently his instructor is making him master a certain distance range before moving further away from the pin. So he only practices with 3 clubs (wedges and putter) right now.

I honestly think all of this will come down to how good his instructor is at actually getting results, and not just "telling him what to do." I went to the instructor's website, and while he has top 100-type credentials, it remains to be seen how good he really is, I guess.

Call me crazy, but the whole "speed golf" promo video gives me serious doubts.

10,000 hours is nuts. Prior to last June I was spending 3-4 hours a day for 4 days a week, and on weekends 7-12 hours a day. I took 1 day a week off always,( no exception) and if the temperature was below 35 I didn't play or practice. Severe weather kept me off the course also, but if it was a 1 day deal, I counted that as my day off.

So a little math shows:

52 weeks in a year. 4 days per week @ 3 hours a day. 2 days a week at 7 hours a day. And we will be conservative with this. There were many weekend days I practiced/played more than 7 hours.

So......4 days @ 3 hours =12 hours a week. 2 days @ 7 hours= 14 hours a week. Which equals 26 hours a week total play/practice time.

26 hours a week X 52 weeks =1352 hours a year. The only vacations I took during these past 4 years were trips to see Brian or to play in state amateur tournaments. Although, I did go see both of my daughters graduate from college but I only took 4 days off total.

Let me assure you....that is a LOT of golf.

I maintained this practice/play schedule for 4 years and burned out completely. Not one shred of interest in golf remained. It took a year of me not even watching golf on TV for the desire to play again came back. And this is from a guy that has played over 40 years and loved the game beyond a reasonable standard.

I truly don't see how a person that is not completely addicted to the game, to the exclusion of everything else, will manage to put 10,000 hours into it.

I know Christopher Smith. Good player, great guy and excellent coach. I'll be interested to see (if I remember after a couple years) to see how this guy gets. I'd like the see the guy take on some "form" with a little more precision, but we'll see how it plays out.

Nice post Otto, I enjoyed that little insight... I agree with you, I think that what this guy has failed to realize is that Mylen reduces it's effective capacity as you get older. I mean you will still improve your motor patterns, but it will happen a lot slower than if you started the 10 year plan from when you were 8 years old, like most of the college guys do. Although saying this, look at Larry Nelson, didn't pick up a club till he was 30 plus. Interesting topic and I suppose no straight answers, I will be follwong the Danplan now and then just out of interest. My bet is that he doesn't stick to the plan
A few years time it will be dan had a plan and now he's driving a white van!

I wonder how many of those 10,000 hours will be applied to competitive rounds, where you have to post a score next to your name.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Nelson first picked up a club at 21, when he got back from Vietnam.

Still, that is very late to begin playing to achieve the kind of success he has had.

I did something similar to this, between the ages of 16 and 18 and a half, I got sick of golf by then although I did improve from beginner to 8 handicap. Like my earlier post said I would be impressed if he completed the 10000 hours. In addition the thing that brought about the rapid improvement between 17 and 18 was playing 3 competitions a week, this guy isn't doing that which I think he really needs to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.