2 days of Trackman experience and a path to enlightenment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Background- I started playing golf at age 22. I broke par on a legit golf course by the rules at age 24. I mistakenly thought I could improve enough to play professionally. I had a 10 year goal and worked daily (all day) on improving.

Being late in life, but young in golfing career, I thought it best to open "Pandora’s box" and learn everything I could about "the" golf swing. I sought out the best (allegedly) teaching professionals in the country (4 total). These teaching professionals came from both sides of the "force" (Star Wars reference, nerdy, but relevant).I own over 125 golf swing instruction books and have more hours in front of a camera than one could imagine. Being hard headed and believing that form becomes function, I have tirelessly tried to create plane lines and "high quality" positions for years. I have made so many different "great looking" swings on camera that I could fill a hard drive to the max, but in the end I could not get the ball flight that is required to be successful.

Two years ago I was introduced to Brian Manzella by Kevin Shields (whom I met playing professionally). We have had some success getting out of "Pandora’s box" and Brian has been great in dealing with my “form over function” issues. I definitely have improved my ball striking with his instruction.

Recently I spent some time at 2 different locations on Trackman, once with Chris Hamburger and Brian Manzella (Louisville) and a day later with Kevin (Pittsburgh). I won’t bore you with my GREAT lesson details with Brian, but what happened was very interesting. For the first time in years I was not concerned with the look of my golf swing. I had the freedom to attain the “numbers” however I FELT. Trackman has a very “in your face” way of saying whether what your doing works or not. Nothing is left for conjecture or theory. What you are doing is efficient for predicting ball flight (golf) or it isn’t.

Do I think Trackman replaces teaching? Absolutely not! Brian and I had the most effective lesson to date because he knew EXACTLY what needed to happen.

All the teaching prior to Trackman has been nothing but educated guess work. How many times have you worked with a coach (without Trackman) and the next day found that doing the opposite of his/her suggestions worked better? Now, I am not saying that there aren’t obvious suggestions that a swing instructor can make to help someone. What I am saying is that Trackman removes the guess work and enhances anyone’s chances of changing ball flight and in the end technique.

If your in “Pandora’s box” (golf’s own personal version of hell) and need help. Trackman could do wonders. It has totally changed the mind of an eternal skeptic like me.

Thanks to Brian, Chris and Kevin.

Do I think Trackman replaces teaching? Absolutely not! Brian and I had the most effective lesson to date because he knew EXACTLY what needed to happen.

All the teaching prior to Trackman has been nothing but educated guess work. How many times have you worked with a coach (without Trackman) and the next day found that doing the opposite of his/her suggestions worked better? Now, I am not saying that there aren’t obvious suggestions that a swing instructor can make to help someone. What I am saying is that Trackman removes the guess work and enhances anyone’s chances of changing ball flight and in the end technique.

Exactly!

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Great post! I really enjoyed reading, as I have done a lot of the same things. I am just now starting to realize that certain "looks" (i.e. accum lag)to a swing do not have to occur to have a great swing.

It is great to be relieved of such a golf burden.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Lindsey is one of my best friends.......and THE eternal skeptic, as said. He and I have had soooo many discussions on "the" swing its a joke. To change his opinion on function outweighing form is really something. Trackman has virtually replaced video for me (except in some cases where both are needed) and, like he said, eliminates ALL the guesswork.

Looking forward to a completely new journey of learning and fast, slump-proof, improvement.

Congrats Lindsey!

When I read this, however, I can't help but think that teachers (me included) messed up a lot of folks in the late 80's through today with a bunch of lines and the thought of "perfect" looking actions....

While the video craze of the last generation of golfer has both helped and buried some, I hope all teachers will be more responsible with its use.

Trackman tells the truth and it doesn't care if you look like Mr. X, Furyk or Hogan.

Lindsey,

i wonder when TW is gonna figure out what you have...that would be a sight to see!
i do think he is going to leave haney soon, though.

As a swing coach said to me about 30 years ago when I went to him for a lesson..........

Do you want to look good or play good?

That question ended my desire to 'look right'. You learn by what the ball does.

Status
Not open for further replies.