2 of my favorites

Status
Not open for further replies.
Couples and Furyk two of my favorite players, both have a figure 8 swing. They are both excellent players. Is a swing like that ever taught, could it be taught and if not why not. Or is it just their back swing odd and they come down to the ball like everyone else. It seems like that swing makes them into the ball in the right place...joe

dale47

New
I believe Trevino once did a Golf mag. article on his figure 8 swing and how to learn it. Was a while ago tho.

I believe Trevino once did a Golf mag. article on his figure 8 swing and how to learn it. Was a while ago tho.

Freddie had a book co-written by John Andrisani back in the 90s. I don't know how in-depth it describes the figure 8 swing.

Freddie had a book co-written by John Andrisani back in the 90s. I don't know how in-depth it describes the figure 8 swing.

It doesn't go in depth. Furyk is one of my favs because of his control long game. He plays the way the majority of golfers should.

Three Imperitives.....they all have them. The backswing, while different from the average bear, loads the club and what else really has to happen. On plane both ways is nice but doesn't mean much.

i taught a young lad who had a very flat swing. he would have his left arm on the same line as his shoulders at the top, and fire his hips early, drop the club even flatter and roll his hands over very quickly. still took divots in front of ball and it pretty much went were he was aiming and was playin off about 9 at the time. i stuck his umbrella in the ground along the target line about a yard 1/2 down the line, not on the target side, and aimed it pretty much to his shoulders. told him to swing outside it goin back, and swing down under it on the downswing. hits hit full distant drivers goin outside the umbrella ... and back underneath the umbrella. his top of backswing whilst he did this looked very weird, but it worked. straightened out his hook, and made his backswing more upright.

so if you hook the ball, it can be a good way to straighten it out.can also wrk if your a slicer, becuase you have to swing towards the inside of the ball.

i believe its the vijay drill

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I wouldn't teach anyone Couples "specific" swing because of the strain it has on one's back. However there are plenty of things from it i'd like everyone to have.

Furyk is simply a model for, "if you believe in yourself and do it enough, it will work."

I wouldn't teach anyone Couples "specific" swing because of the strain it has on one's back. However there are ?plenty of things from it i'd like everyone to have.

Furyk is simply a model for, "if you believe in yourself and do it enough, it will work."

JIM

What are the plenty of things are you talking about

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I wouldn't teach anyone Couples "specific" swing because of the strain it has on one's back. However there are plenty of things from it i'd like everyone to have.

Why is Couples' swing bad for backs?

Status
Not open for further replies.