2007 US Open - Predictions, Comments, and Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure about you people but this is my favorite week of the summer. The US Open and Father's day!

Who do you think is in best position conquer Oakmont?

Who will be the surprise cuts?

Favorite hole?

etc.

Predictions

Winner: Adam Scott
Contenders: Jim Furyk, Phil Mickelson, Ernie Els

Tiger Woods is way to inaccurate with is long ball to win this year. Especially at a course as long and demanding as this.

Adam Scott is in a great grove right now. He has the contention experience to pull through and the accuracy off the tee to stay out of trouble.

Jim Furyk has some of the same. More control less power. But accurate off the tee.

Phil (depending on wrist) will see short term improvement from the Harmon fix that may help him this week. But as many people have already eluded to on this forum, Butch will only be more of the same after a while. BTW . . I love Phil's short game and creativity.

Ernie has been playing great this year. He's had success at Oakmont in the past (see 1994). Big easy has the ability to plod and not let the conditions destroy his feel.

Well that is my $0.02. What do you guys think?

I like the young guys
Zach Johnson, Sean O'Hair, Bubba Watson

I believe Phil and Tiger will be in contention and finish in top 10

It'll be fun to watch them all on the 288yd par 3 8th

After melting 2 weeks in a row Adam Scott ain't winning this week, Zach Johnson if he putts like normal has a great chance. Ernie ..just depends on which Ernie shows up. Sergio has no chance on these greens. Retief could be interesting. Not Furyk's year. Phil, not a Phil fan, but I say IF he makes cut he's top 5. Like to see Pampling contend. When the titles on the table Tiger will show up, would never count him out.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
If you do a search i have been pretty good at picking major winners, last year i said Furyk would win, if not Ogilvy would win and my darkhorse was Padraig.

Not too shabby huh? hehehe

I'll try and put up my predictions by thursday.

Furyk, Els
~From what I've read you won't be holding these greens if you aren't coming in from the short stuff. I like Furyk for his accuracy off the tee and also like how he grinds it out. Obviously a long hitter has a big advantage if they can keep it out of the rough this week, so obviously the bombers have a great shot, but this won't be a bomb and gouge tourney this week. (NOTE: If Tiger hits 3 woods a lot, I like his chances much better than if he hits driver)

Adam Scott in the lead on Saturday and Sunday falls out of the top ten.
Phil Mickelson has driver woes and makes the cut only because of his short game. Tiger Woods pure will puts him in the top 20 with inconsistent ball striking.

David Toms course management puts him in the winner circle. My dark horse is Charles Howell wins as the leaders come back to the field and he doesn't realize he is in the lead.

Status
Not open for further replies.