A a piece of the game died today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Adam-Scott-y-Ernie-Els-Belly-Putter.jpg

The balls and clubs are fine, it's poor putters that are hutting the game... c'mon.:mad:

Where were they 30 years ago? It was OK when golfers used an anchored putting stroke when it was a stroke of last resort for poor putting. But now that younger players started to go to it as a better option they now have a problem with it.

This is another reason for bifurcation. Make all the rules you want for the Tour, but for many average hackers who aren't playing competitive golf it's going to take away some enjoyment and fun.

Wow. This is how they choose to try to appear like they are stopping the game from changing too drastically. I couldn't help but notice that it doesn't significantly affect the revenue of any equipment manufacturers. ugh.

Just got a letter from the Champions Tour that basically stated that while the PGA Tour states that while it plays according to the R&A and USGA rules that it always reserves the right to modify in the best interests of the tour. And that also, the Tour would review the ruling to see if it would have an adverse effect on its players.

Bruce

Y'all need to give the blazers a break.

I think someone in the skunkworks noticed a loophole in the current rules which would allow someone to anchor a club, not necessarily a putter (but remember, this isn't an equipment rule), to an ever-accelerating pelvis and drive the ball 500 yards.

"Worth noting: A stroke made with the putter resting against the forearm – a method used by Matt Kuchar – was deemed to be a form of grip, not anchoring, which is permitted by the USGA."

So apparently "resting against" something is different than anchoring.

The president of our golf league is a 72 year old scratch player who uses the long putter. The strange thing is that he holds his top hand out away from any anchor point. He also doesn't plant his lead forearm. This rule would seem to be pointless relative to his use of the long putter. I can't imagine anyone, 3 years from know, challenging whether his forearm is anchored or not.

What's the difference between anchoring with the forearm, and bracing with the elbow, besides the length of putter it allows you to use?

"Worth noting: A stroke made with the putter resting against the forearm – a method used by Matt Kuchar – was deemed to be a form of grip, not anchoring, which is permitted by the USGA."

So apparently "resting against" something is different than anchoring.

But it is "different". One stroke has the butt end fixed the other the butt end is moving. We can argue all day if it makes a "difference".

Can you think of anyone who quit the game of golf because it was too easy?

And can you explain how any player gains an advantage by doing something every other player could do?

Amazing they have no issue with changing rules that they know will not affect manufacturers in any meaningful way. They won't touch balls or drivers or the distance issues due to the fight they will get from manufacturers who can afford to fight. Pretty ironic, guys in their fifties hit it as long or longer than they did when they were thirty due to equipment and now the rulers decide they should be able to putt like 16 year olds. Fortunately I putt with the same type of putter I did when I was 16 and am not affected by the rule. Nonetheless, the USGA and R & A are cowards for not going after distance issues and wasting time on this issue.

Now outlaw any club with more than 56 degrees loft and you got something. Get rid of 60 degrees plus SWs and return some skill to the short game.

Sure, as long as you roll back the green complexes to their conditions in the 50's and 60's then that would be fair. Besides, I would argue it takes more skill to use a 64º effectively than a 56º.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Can you think of anyone who quit the game of golf because it was too easy?

And can you explain how any player gains an advantage by doing something every other player could do?

I see what you're saying but I suppose they don't want options like that for people who cannot be competitive using the standard method. I believe it not to be necessarily a superior method but more of a last resort.

It doesn't bother me in competition even though I think it's cheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.