A a piece of the game died today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Alls I know is, if I have the winning ticket tonight I'm buying everyone on the forum their choice of belly or long putter. :D

What's great about golf? If any of us win the lottery tonight we will still be on the course tomorrow and on the net tomorrow night. There are very few things you do, where if you had 100 times more wealth than you have right now, you'd still be doing the SAME THING. Of course I may just have to tell the pilot where all the great course are!

Seems like to suits are saying that the butt end has to move. Golf is not a fair game, it is just an equitable one. Compared to perimeter weighing, the hot ball, 83 core, graphite shafts and huge heads the belly seems to pale. I still think the lawn mower beats all the changes.

ej20

New
They had no problems with it until guys started winning majors.No doubt they don't want long putters becoming more popular on tour.I say it's an image problem rather than anything else.It just doesn't look good using a long putter.You look like a decrepit old man with the yips.This I agree with.Not the advantage argument.

Other banning suggestions:

White belts
Vanity handicaps
Furry, bristle tees
Small holes
Unsolicited commentary on your swing (great finish!)
Head covers for your irons
People who don't laugh at your jokes
Animal themed driver head covers (with the possible exception of Rattus Norvegicus for certain individuals)
Comb overs

Anything I missed?

And speaking of purists where is Big D on this pressing issue?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Golf rule proposal to ban anchored putting gets mixed reaction

By Trey Iles, NOLA.com | The Times-Picayune
on November 28, 2012 at 4:45 PM, updated November 28, 2012 at 6:23 PM

The decision by golf’s primary governing bodies -– the USGA and R&A -– to, in effect,outlaw belly and anchor putting Wednesday has had a polarizing effect. Tiger Woods, who uses a regular putter, applauded the move.

Keegan Bradley, who utilizes a belly putter, says he didn’t care for it.

bradleyjpg-ad8be023d95863b7.jpg
Keegan Bradley's putting would be altered by a proposed rule change that would ban anchored putting. Though he could still use a belly putter, he could not anchor it into his stomach.
Dave Martin / AP

Golf’s leading rule makers proposed changes Wednesday that would ban anchoring a club when making a stroke, an effort to eliminate anchored or belly putting. Players would still be able to use long putters and belly putters but would not be able to anchor the clubs into their bodies.

They won’t make the decision final until next year after hearing discussion on the matter. But it’s a safe bet this will happen. The proposed change would take effect Jan. 1, 2016.

Just as it has nationally, local golfers and pros are split on the rule change. Former LSUgolfer John Peterson, who finished tied for fourth in last summer’s U.S. Open in San Francisco, said it is a good thing and should be enacted immediately instead of 2016.
But one of the nation’s top teaching pros, Brian Manzella, who runs the Brian Manzella Golf Academy at English Turn, and Audubon Golf Club director of golf Stan Stopa, think it could hurt the game.

I’ve always been against us using (belly and anchor putters),’’ Peterson said. “I’m a firm believer that athleticism should define every sport and those putters make golf less of a sport. For the guys who are the best in the world at their craft, we should use a putter that uses less attention to detail like the belly putter.’’

Peterson said he has experimented with a belly putter but has never played with one in a tournament. He said using it is an advantage.

“It’s definitely easier 15 feet and in,’’ Peterson said. “I’ve used one a week or two at a time. It’s easier and takes less practice to get better.’’

Peterson did say, however, that he would have no problem with the putters being used at the amateur level or even on the mini tours.

But there’s where the problem lies, Stopa said. The PGA Tour, which can reject the rule change but likely won’t, is one thing. The proposal is not only for professional but all levels of golf.

USGA Executive Director Mike Davis said the increase of golfers anchoring in the last few years is the reason for the decision. He said it was one thing for a golfer to use anchoring as a stroke of last resort because of some physical challenge.

However, the two governing bodies feel that many golfers on all levels use it to gain an advantage. Davis said the number of PGA Tour golfers anchoring has jumped to 15 percent. Three of the last five major championship winners, Keegan Bradley, Ernie Els and Webb Simpson, used belly putters in winning their titles.

He said he was particularly worried about the number of instructors guiding younger golfers toward belly and anchor putters.

Stopa, who played some on the PGA Tour, said he’s usually in favor of USGA rules alterations but not this one. He doesn’t think the putters give a great advantage.
But what concerns him more is the amateur player.

“The average guy who plays golf, he’s not going to win anything, maybe a flight in his club championship, so what if he’s using that,’’ said Stopa, who has used a belly putter in the last month. “I think what could happen is this could be putting people out of the game. If you get the yips and can’t put the ball in the hole, it’s not any fun any more. I just think they’re going to hurt the average person.’’

The threat of legal action by pro players is also something to consider, he said.
“That’s another black eye that the game doesn’t need,’’ Stopa said.

Manzella said because golfers would still be able to use the longer putters, they’ll find a way to circumvent the rule, innovation meeting necessity.

“What’s going to happen is you can probably come up within the rule and it’ll look almost the same,’’ Manzella said. “I think this is a perception issue. They (USGA and R&A) don’t think it looks good and are scared (golf) is going to be too easy and make the scores too low.

“In effect, it’ll make it harder for the good players (who use the putters). But they’re winding up with a game that’s too hard for the regular guy.’’

Though the rule will likely take effect, there is no law that says a regular golfer who plays for fun can’t use a belly or anchor putter. But Manzella is convinced most won’t. He points to the recent rule outlawing some wedges with grooves the governing bodies deemed too advantageous.

The amateur golfer can still use those wedges until 2016. But Manzella said golf, unlike many sports, is a game where you can play where the pros play and use the same equipment as the pros.

“I saw it, regular golfers didn’t want to buy the outlawed wedges,’’ Manzella said. “They want to do it like the pros. So people will not belly putt.

“We’re winding up with a game that’s too hard for the regular golfer. The courses get longer, the equipment that makes it easier changed. Instead, just let these guys (pros) shoot 20 under to win and let the regular players catch up and have fun.’’

I experimented for about an hour today with the long putter NOT anchored at the top but about an inch away...NO DIFFERENCE. It's going to change the belly putters but Ol' Bernhard and Adam will be ok.

I experimented for about an hour today with the long putter NOT anchored at the top but about an inch away...NO DIFFERENCE. It's going to change the belly putters but Ol' Bernhard and Adam will be ok.

Exactly may take too, Bill. Only I held it about 1/2" off the chest. And looking at it in the mirror, you cannot tell when it's anchored and when it's not. It looks the same, and it works the same.

Exactly may take too, Bill. Only I held it about 1/2" off the chest. And looking at it in the mirror, you cannot tell when it's anchored and when it's not. It looks the same, and it works the same.
I wonder if that is going to pose an issue in the future. People calling in during tournaments because it looks like a player is anchoring their putter during play, when in reality they are 1/2 an inch away.

I wonder if that is going to pose an issue in the future. People calling in during tournaments because it looks like a player is anchoring their putter during play, when in reality they are 1/2 an inch away.

I bet it will. If you can't really tell from 5' away, it could certainly be a problem. But I don't think these are the guys this rule was aimed at. :rolleyes:

ej20

New
I propose a mandatory fitting of a sharp nail on all long and belly putter handles.Any anchoring will be punished by stabbing.

Just a proposal - so I'm sure they will hear a lot of feedback and take that into consideration when and if they implement the rule which it appears they will.

Based on the information sheet on page 1 via the photo if I anchor both forearms to my side and swing from my wrists - I'd be legal. Based on their verbiage - I'd be illegal - as I would have anchored my gripping hand(s).
Now if I take a split grip - anchor both forearms - just rotate my body - What are they saying? Short putter that's OK but long putter no?

Status
Not open for further replies.