a few questions from an old timer

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a great forum. Truth seeking is rare and Brian you are to be commended for putting this whole thing together. When I was coming up in this business, nothing like this existed. We spent a lot of time in the pit fixing shanks and slices without the aid of video, Trackman or even high speed cameras. And believe me the good old days were not as good as they seemed that's for sure.

Anyway we got a lot of it right, but we got a lot of it wrong too. Path for example, low point, true path etc. But it's never too late to get better. My question: If under plane blocks to the right are caused by the club going left with an open face, is the ball being hit with an ascending blow?

I'll hang up and wait for your answers. Thx

then that's out to in if low point is left, yes? And if out-to-in, can it be under plane?

Horizontal swing path is shifted to the left of the target line with an open club face. I'm not too sure what is meant by under plane in the description without a clarification of which one of the many planes possible in a golf swing that it is being compared to. But, if it means below say the shoulder plane, then it could happen.

Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will give a better answer.

DC, I've been doing this a long time and I'm stumped on this discussion as of late.

How can a swing be under plane on one side and not over the plane on the other. Based on the under plane down swing, taking a divot on the other side of the ball that goes LEFT is something I can't get my head around.

Looking for some help on this one.

DC, I've been doing this a long time and I'm stumped on this discussion as of late.

How can a swing be under plane on one side and not over the plane on the other. Based on the under plane down swing, taking a divot on the other side of the ball that goes LEFT is something I can't get my head around.

Looking for some help on this one.

Ditto: Unless the person was a contortionist!

I believe it is based on the relationship of the handle end and the clubhead/clubface other end.

There may be a terminolgy issue mixed up in this thread somewhere.

Block
open
under
over

I'm confused

Matt

Brian or Kevin correct me if I'm wrong but...

Underplane has a lot to do with the hand path, plane angle, and sweet spot orientation.

Essentially, people that get under plane tend to:

1. Have a hand path (downswing) that is too much out and not enough vertical.

2. Have too shallow of a plane angle (for them) coming into impact.

3. Have a sweetspot that is not "tipping towards the ball" early enough in the downswing.

The club works under either early from the top or late in the downswing (Kevin described it to me as "gradually laying it off from the top down to the ball"). In order to just make contact with the ball, the handle us usually dragged left hard, leaving the clubface open and producing the push fade.

I'm sure there's more to it, but this is as much as I (think) I know.

Let me try this again. I have always diagnosed high blocks to the right as under plane and inside-out. I always thought the only way you could be under planed was from the inside. Kevin mentioned that Tackman reads that they (right blocks) are caused by the club going left with an open face. If that's the science I accept that, but am asking for an explanantion. It seems that the only way that could happen is by changing the plane line to the left, yes? If plane line and target line are parallel, I can't get under the plane by swinging to the left, can I?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If the base of the plane you are swinging on is bent to the left you can certainly be under that plane. If you raise the handle or turn thru or whatever to make contact with the ball first, you've done something to pull the sweetspot up from under the plane. I dont think you can be under the plane and make a divot on the target side of the ball no matter where your plane is pointing. Thats my understanding.

right because if you're under the plane and DONT alter the club, (raise the handle) you will hit it fat, yes?

Status
Not open for further replies.