A Golf Lesson Today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just thought I would share. I have been out of town on business for 10 days. I booked a lesson with the Ping Fitter who did my new S56 irons last x-Mas.

My only goal was to fix my Driver swing which has been just awful this season. He remembered that I was knowledgeable about terminology and basics etc. We went to the range. He had his Casio F1. After 4 or 5 Drivers he had seen enough.

We went back in his studio and reviewed the video. He liked my grip, liked my stance width, liked ball position, and axis tilt, wanted a tad less knee flex. He went through cause and effect. I had slipped into a very, very flat shouder turn. Result was a steep angle of attack and a stand up move. So we worked on what I knew, but couldn't remember to do. Steeper shoulders. I got it in a few swings and the inside camera system proved it.

Back outside , but this time with a training aide, "Inside Approach", swing under the foam thingy. Amazing. Steeper shoulders, a little more inside out swing, and miss the foam. Result? Drive after drive, nice little draws with very nice height and penetration. I'm happy. Good lesson.

Playing 4 days in a row starting Friday. I wonder if Flash Cards would look silly!

Steve

Last edited:

hp12c

New
Playing 4 days in a row starting Friday. I wonder if Flash Cards would look silly!

Only if collecting other players money is silly!:cool:

I had slipped into a very, very flat shouder turn. Result was a steep angle of attack and a stand up move. So we worked on what I knew, but couldn't remember to do. Steeper shoulders. I got it in a few swings and the inside camera system proved it.

Steve

Could someone explain some about how a flat shoulder turn results in a steep angle of attack?

Shouldn't the shoulder turn angle closely match the downswing clubshaft plane?(at least on the downswing)

Could someone explain some about how a flat shoulder turn results in a steep angle of attack?

Shouldn't the shoulder turn angle closely match the downswing clubshaft plane?(at least on the downswing)

I am wondering the same thing.

coach

New
His flat shoulder turn was giving him an OTT move resulting in a more out to in swing verses working to get steeper with an in to out swing.

ZAP

New
I think what soft was trying to discuss was how his flat shoulder turn was giving him an OTT move resulting in a more out to in swing verses working to get steeper with an in to out swing....I didn't look at his post as an "ad" for another instructor

I guess as I go back and read it again I can see that in some ways. I always find it interesting how easy it is to read things into the written word. You can see how it could appear that way to someone reading it.

My flat shoulder turn was causing me to take my arms very inside and flat, under my right shoulder. It was also allowing too much turn.

In order to get the club onto plane I was then lifting my arms and coming down over the top and steep. No saying this necessarily applies to others with flat shoulder turns. Anxious to try it out over the next several days.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Knowing Steve's swing, I can see how a more Soft Draw-type backswing would help a bunch.

But, in general, steepening shoulders is no cure for a bad downswing.

Now, if the left arm flying wedge rotates less......ah....different story.

There's A) cause and immediate effect, if this happens this HAS to happen, and then there's B) cause and indirect effect, like this CAN lead to that...and then there's C) one has nothing to do with the other...Most things fall into the B category

My flat shoulder turn was causing me to take my arms very inside and flat, under my right shoulder. It was also allowing too much turn.

In order to get the club onto plane I was then lifting my arms and coming down over the top and steep. No saying this necessarily applies to others with flat shoulder turns. Anxious to try it out over the next several days.

Gotcha. With the steeper turn, were you more across this line at the top or still somewhat flat?

Status
Not open for further replies.