A PGA Chipping Lesson

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
quote:Originally posted by birdie_man

Big time throwaway on that last chip he hit.

He needs to watch "Flipper."

....cause he flipped.

No he doesn't...thats how you hit a really high soft chip with a club that doesn't have enough loft. It's what TGM calls "lob face impact" with throwaway. Brian demonstrates this in his short game video.

Ya but Throwaway is flipping isn't it?....

I guess it's a shot that you can play....the "lob face impact" shot.

But he's talking about trajectory control....but then had throwaway with his first chip, even with the back in his stance.

I dunno that's just what I noticed when I watched the clip.

Steve Khatib

Super Moderator
He stole the row of balls idea from Ben Doyle, his ball location is a mile behind the hinge, he times his throw and 'adds', and creates a false forward lean of the shaft which makes him back up to add loft and flip. Wow is he really #12 ranked instructor in the World, you must be able to lawfully demonstrate. No wonder he didnt take Homer's little yellow book back in 1974 when he could of. If he had of his proceedure would look a whole lot different.

Total dog poop.
Speaking of which, I'd like to start a new topic...how good a player should a pro be to
be considered a professional instructor?

Bill,
While I agree that most of Wiren's stuff is poop, and I can't get over what he did to Ben Doyle (or Johnny Myers), I will say that Wiren can play.
I've played with him and he can golf his ball. I'd be surprized if anyone here has a playing resume as good as his, and I'd also be surprized if many here couldn't out teach him.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Great point, Will.

The best part about most good players—besides that most can't teach a lick (not you of course)—is that they are poor hanicappers of players.

Oh, I know Dr. Wiren is pretty good and can do it. I like him. I was talking about others.
Nevertheless, that chip was just heinous.
That is a great point, Brian. All my friends are good players and always say stuff like,
"I never thought that guy could play a lick" and then he wins the British Open or something.

I don't get it. How can Wiren play well with a bent left wrist and getting the shaft to slant forward by playing the ball off his right toe? Is this guy a "timer of the flip" on the full swing as well? And what does this say - you don't actually need the 1st Imperative to be a good player? Or does he not actually do what he teaches when he plays?

The irony is that he used to market a flat left wrist device much like Norman's "The Secret".

When I visited Myrtle Beach last month, this guy on the range just sold his house to buy a trailer with his wife and kid. He was going to try and make it on the tour. All his iron shots were played in the back of his stance. He trapped all his shots from that position. He hit a nice piercing ball flight. The range was at the TPC.

quote:Originally posted by MizunoJoe

I don't get it. How can Wiren play well with a bent left wrist and getting the shaft to slant forward by playing the ball off his right toe? Is this guy a "timer of the flip" on the full swing as well? And what does this say - you don't actually need the 1st Imperative to be a good player? Or does he not actually do what he teaches when he plays?

I dunno man.

Or maybe he could become that much of a better chipper (and all around player) with less throwaway.

"The moment of truth-impact. While the weight is leaving the right side, the left arm is extended and in line with the shaft, the back of the left wrist is flat, the shaft angle is tilted towards the target, and the center of the body is slightly behind the ball."

- p. 41 "Super Power Golf" by Wiren & Taylor copyright 1984,1998

...the back of the left wrist is flat,...

Diss the guy all you want, but he is selling flat left wrist at impact. :)

Vaako

If you go buy the book and find it's crap - don't ask me to refund it.

Yes that's what he is selling, but not what he does in these videos. Check the "Driving it Low" video - he plays the ball almost in the middle of his stance teed up high and chases a flipping clubhead through impact. Someone above said he can really "play" - he must do something something entirely different than he shows on these clips.

http://www.golfspan.com/partners/mail/announce.asp#

Yes that's what he is selling, but not what he does in these videos. Check the "Driving it Low" video - he plays the ball almost in the middle of his stance teed up high and chases a flipping clubhead through impact. Someone above said he can really "play" - he must do something something entirely different than he shows on these clips.

http://www.golfspan.com/partners/mail/announce.asp#

I had a look. And think you probably should cut him a little more slack. This is a specialty shot; a low drive. So chasing after could be a speciality prosedure to produce a flat clubhead path at impact.

As for the ball position, I'll add an other quote from Wiren:

Addressing with a Wood

Correction: A good address position for the tee shot is with the ball played somewhere between the left shoulder and the left ear. The upper-body weight is slightly behind the ball, perhaps 60 percent to the right, and 40 percentto the left. The lower-body weight is more evenly balanced. The shoulders are parallel to the flight line.

So Wiren uses the upper-body as a reference of ball position. Add to this the lean to right at address and you end up w/ ball near the middle of the stance.

From the books it looks like his flat left wrist is more in the anatomic flat/Yoda-school, than geometric flat/Manzella-school. This would add to the outside appearance of a flip?

If pics are anything to go by he is more of a flip-timer, than flat till separation and early left wrist bender.

But - after all - he's PGA, not TGM. [:eek:)]

Vaako

Vaako - if you think I'm tough on Wiren, read this

http://www.travelgolf.com/blogs/rebel.blogger/2005/07/21/pga_golf_instructor_gary_wiren_s_blog_ca

Funny guy. Picture of Gary in a dress and all. Funniest part was when he's dissing someone with this: "Literacy must be a huge issue over their in Prague"

Everybody should be critical and tough about Wiren along w/ all the other Big Name Teacher. I was just trying to get some value out of the 2 Wiren books I bought sometime back. Otherwise he's YABNT*, and my intrests lie more in the TGM direction.

Vaako

* Yet-Another-Big-Name-Teacher, a geek joke - sorta.

What a hoot Hue! At least he sells an Impact bag but we know it is for the buck (not that there is anything wrong with that)

Status
Not open for further replies.