A question about the release.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm on board, both intuitively and intellectually with what Brian et al have posited on the release here in the not-so-distant past but a certain issue vexes me...

As the club comes down, the forces on the grip seem to want to make the grip slide across the left palm (from pad under the pinky finger to pad under the thumb.) and if that continued unchecked the clubhead would fall underplane. It seems the only way to prevent that is to tug forward a little on the left hand to keep the club in orbit, so to speak, but then the clubhead gets dragged instead of flung thru impact.... How do we get one without the other?

I ask because I feel when my hands work independently of one another through the impact phase, then I hit it very well; BUT, the moment I feel them working together, I hit it rubbish.- (Seems counter-intuitive, I know)

In effect, my hand tug happens just before and after impact, regardless of what I do prior to that.

Am I missing something here?

Do you think grip pressure may have to be adjusted?

I have experimented with that, Matt, but to no avail.
It's frustrating because when I'm hitting it well, my body can feel like it's moving like a sack of cement, but the hand release overcomes all of that; conversely, when I'm hitting it badly, my body movements can feel optimal but the hands give me the finger, so to speak:)

I had the same problem with the grip slipping when I started using the info in the ideas video. My problem was I thought I had a strong grip but it was actually neutral to weak. Try taking the grip like Brian shows on the video (in the spiderman/palm on the wall position) with your left hand (if you golf righty). When I did that, and had the face laying on the plane at that position ,I couldn't believe how strong the grip looked at address. Completely fixed the problem and the grip hasn't slipped since. Worth a try.

Burner

New
The left hand will tend to drag it through, the right hand does most of the flinging.

Brian, in post #119 on the Release-description thread says " there is no force across the shaft".

Applying a right handed "fling", as you call it, would be putting an "across shaft" force into play, wouldn't it.

This had occurred to me also Burny. But force across the shaft is defined differently in Manzella talk methinks.

Brian, in post #119 on the Release-description thread says " there is no force across the shaft".

Applying a right handed "fling", as you call it, would be putting an "across shaft" force into play, wouldn't it.

That depends on when the "fling" happens. I believe he means the golfer is not applying any force across the shaft AT impact, not at no point during the swing.

if that continued unchecked the clubhead would fall underplane

I wonder what would happen to your clubhead and the "slippage" if you were to come down from a slightly more laid off position and/or had a steeper hand path. My guess is the clubhead would get a touch above or higher than whatever the reference point you're using for "plane" is AND the slippage would invert. I'd also guess you might "overclose" the the club face at first. Just a guess.

I'm also pretty sure that a tug of any sort, even with the hands (think about if you "hand tug" on a putt... hello pushville and pulltown), is never ideal.

Last edited:
I wonder what would happen to your clubhead and the "slippage" if you were to come down from a slightly more laid off position and/or had a steeper hand path. My guess is the clubhead would get a touch above or higher than whatever the reference point you're using for "plane" is AND the slippage would invert. I'd also guess you might "overclose" the the club face at first. Just a guess.

I'm also pretty sure that a tug of any sort, even with the hands (think about if you "hand tug" on a putt... hello pushville and pulltown), is never ideal.

I'm kind of thinking along the same lines here. Kevin talks about the feeling of being on top of the sweetspot. I have to have more bend in the right wrist earlier than I'm used in order to to do this. This has been a great feel for me lately along with vertical handpath and trying to have the right shoulder movement matching the downswing plane of the club.

That depends on when the "fling" happens. I believe he means the golfer is not applying any force across the shaft AT impact, not at no point during the swing.

Yes.

Full swings with only the right hand on the club will help you with how and when to fling, do NOT wait until impact to fling it for golf's sake. ;)

Burner

New
My Brain hurts.

This had occurred to me also Burny. But force across the shaft is defined differently in Manzella talk methinks.
So many questions with so few definitive answers.
sCo_chinscratch.gif

One day we may all be on the same page - of project 1.68, perhaps.

Status
Not open for further replies.