A slower tempo isn't always a slower tempo

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a lesson on the 8th with Brian and the main thing we worked on was keeping my head still during the swing. I was swaying quite a bit off of the ball in the backswing and, consequently, had to move back to this position on the forward swing. I was on a simulator that measured club path, compression, clubface angle, and tempo. My tempo for my normal swing was 1.8. This means it took 1.8 seconds to complete my swing. Brian held a club to the side of my head during my backswing to give me a physical reference point of where my head was at and I was to keep it in the same spot through the entire backswing. It required some effort, but as Lynn says, "It is always harder to do less." However, with my head not moving back and then not having to move forward, my tempo was 1.1 with the same exact swing. I felt like I was swinging at the same tempo as my 1.8 swing, but my tempo had changed by ALMOST A SECOND. This is not good because your body develops an internal tempo that is goes by and it wants to stay at that tempo. So, when I kept my head still, I had to feel like I was swinging exceedingly slow to keep my original 1.8 tempo. Basically, I had to slow down my tempo to keep my tempo. It was quite surprising to see how much effect my swaying was having on my golf swing. It really is much easier to keep a still head when playing golf. It makes having a repeatable tempo easier, it makes tracing the plane line easier, and it makes hitting the ball solidly easier. Improving your pivot is an excellent shortcut to improving the rest of your stroke.

holenone

Banned
quote:Originally posted by mgjordan

It really is much easier to keep a still head when playing golf. It makes having a repeatable tempo easier, it makes tracing the plane line easier, and it makes hitting the ball solidly easier.

1-L-#1 The Stationary Post (Player's Head) accurately returns the Clubhead through the Ball (Centered Arc).

1-L-#2 The Post may Turn (Pivot) but does not 'Sway' or 'Bob'.

hue

New
quote:Originally posted by holenone

quote:Originally posted by mgjordan

It really is much easier to keep a still head when playing golf. It makes having a repeatable tempo easier, it makes tracing the plane line easier, and it makes hitting the ball solidly easier.

1-L-#1 The Stationary Post (Player's Head) accurately returns the Clubhead through the Ball (Centered Arc).

IMO bobbing is more damaging than swaying. Brian and holenone do you share my opinion? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.