A strange grip question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've noticed that when taking my grip, both hands are twisting or applying pressure as if to get into dorsi-flexion (the left wrist twisting towards "stronger" and the right going the opposite way, towards "weaker"). From here through the first part of the backswing, these pressures continue, which tends to get both of my elbows pointing in drastically different directions. From there I'm usually screwed.

Is there any advice for how to take a grip properly to alleviate (or counteract) this twisting? Thank you.

Dariusz J.

I've noticed that when taking my grip, both hands are twisting or applying pressure as if to get into dorsi-flexion (the left wrist twisting towards "stronger" and the right going the opposite way, towards "weaker").

Because it is most natural way for most humans.When we stand freely and let our arms hang freely too, we can observe that the plane of the palms (both of them) are angled inward at ca. 45 degrees -- very sedom in "gorilla" position or anatomical position (poth palms parallel to each other).

From here through the first part of the backswing, these pressures continue, which tends to get both of my elbows pointing in drastically different directions. From there I'm usually screwed.
Is there any advice for how to take a grip properly to alleviate (or counteract) this twisting? Thank you.

I recommend presetting elbow joints (especially rear elbow joint) which sort of automates what happens in the takeaway/backswing. PM if you want to know the details. But will read what others say as well, perhaps it is a better way to achieve automatism.

Cheers

I believe Eddie Merrins advocated establishing and maintaining this opposing torque of the hands on the grip.

Screwed how? Impact? Ball flight?

I get the club accross the line and open at the top. I can see the clubhead at the end of my backswing out of my left eye on my practice swings with a wedge. Both wrists get cocked at the top and the right wrist doesn't want to bend back.

From this position, I swing down steep and back it up to square the clubface. I have 3 shots in my arsenal. A pull draw that misses greens left and knocks over trees lining the left side of the fairway, a push fade that misses greens short right and goes over trees on the right side of the fairway to make sure it gets OB, and a dead straight shot that only comes out of the bag when I am trying to play either a fade or a draw.

It's an entertaining way to play golf.

Status
Not open for further replies.