A suggestion for Project 1.68

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is probably only me but I get confused when "plane" is discussed here. Sasho Mackenzie describes the "golfer's swing plane" and the "club plane". Kwon, Como et al describe "functional swing plane of the clubhead" and the "movement planes" of different segments of the body. Less scientifically we hear the terms "steep", "laid off", "across the line", "shoulder plane", "elbow plane", "one plane", "two plane" and so on.

My suggestion for 1.68 is that whenever the word plane is used that it be defined. For example, if you say a plane is "too laid off" then name the reference plane, describe how that plane is measured (perhaps in a glossary) and define "laid off" relative to that plane. Diagrams, especially with projections like those in Kwon, Como et al would be very helpful.

This may seem overly pedantic, and I am often guilty of that, but 1.68 has been advertised as a science-based project. I think the science will be more understandable if there is more precision in the definition of terms and less use of vague, undefined terms which can mean different things to different people.

lia41985

It's probably only me but the precision with which you crafted that post was impressive. Thank you.

dbl

New
They may mean an orbit of some sort and not plane at all. And the line between the handle and the cog of the clubhead might be important, but clearly that path through space moves and bends and ain't part of a plane but for an instantaneous moment of consideration.

Would clubhead center of gravity path during the downswing maybe be a descriptor? There must be an optimum clubhead center of gravity path?

natep

New
Not really. A plane is by definition a flat, 2d concept. If it was warped it would be non-planar.

For me- when I think of plane I automatically think of the sweetspot plane around the impact area (defined by plane angle + swing direction/plane line). Because I don't think any where else part of the swing is planar anyway, so why use the concept of the plane there.

lia41985

Because I don't think any where else part of the swing is planar anyway, so why use the concept of the plane there.
Anyway, huh? You didn't happen to read the paper Drew referenced, did you? I think you owe it to yourself to do so. It may help you understand something you already know, at the very least, in a different light. That's why.

I think it's bowed, or warped

Hey Kevin I was bored, how about this.

"Frequency vacillations off of the general mean plane, measured in height above or below the mean plane. total length of the vacillation, including the profile viewed from the swings mean general center. When the ball contact has occurred off of the mean plane i.e. perfectly centered, then it will have a height, and a visible profile to define its exact path, pre, during, and post contact. All non planar movements, parallel circular, or ellipical, will be treated as separate planar entities with their own general plane average so they can be compared the general mean center plane in all three axis. Let's not forgot the other dimension, the non circular aspect, club-head travel on plane but traveling in either a circular or non circular path as has been previously defined as a direction called "normal to the arc", including the opposing direction, i.e. away from the center."

John

Status
Not open for further replies.