A Very Happy Customer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
A couple of months ago I started a thread talking about my golf swing issues and my unhappiness with my development over the last few months. Here's the thread I started if you don't know what I'm talking about: An Unhappy Customer ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page)
vjsinger

I had a lesson with Brian yesterday that was VERY successful. I showed up with a couple of things that I'm CERTAIN, not many instrructors, if any, would have caught... period!! One relating to my grip and two relating to my Backswing. I just wanted to express how very pleased I am with yesterdays lesson and my understanding of the lesson and more importantly to me, How to fix my swing when things go wrong. Thanks to Brian and Mike Finney for the help!! Here's the lesson review:

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRfmDtMvk5o[/media]

Sounds like a very helpful session. I was particularly interested in that "short club" drill that Brian recommended - I haven't seen or heard of that one before.

Best of luck implementing the changes.

VJ, can you elaborate on the pivot stalling Brian mentioned in the video? I've been fooling around with idea of pivot breaking or slowing lately. Was this stall intentional and what were the effects?

Last edited:
i agree on the pivot stall. I suffer from that as well and get real armsy and lose consistency.
And would like to hear some of what went on.

VJ, can you elaborate on the pivot stalling Brian mentioned in the video? I've been fooling around with idea of pivot breaking or slowing lately. Was this stall intentional and what were the effects?

Pivot stalling=BAD, for me. We fixed a few things, BECAUSE I was stalling, which is bad, to get a better Kinematic Sequence and stress the shaft in transition. I had too weak of a grip, aligned myself too far right, with some pop-out and because of this I had to stall in order to hit it straight. Does that make sense?

i agree on the pivot stall. I suffer from that as well and get real armsy and lose consistency.
And would like to hear some of what went on.

Like I said above, alot of it was grip and alignment related stuff. I have hit many balls pivot stalling and gained a pretty high awareness for the clubface..I had too in order to get the ball somewhat online. Like I said in the earlier post, I really believe no one else would have caught my grip issue, because like Brian said on the video. At the top of the swing the clubface was orthodox and square..really impressive to me that he figured that out..if not, I'd still be flipping and stalling at it. I showed up to the lesson with a 2 degree outside in path and left with a 2 degree inside out path...pretty awesome teaching there! I went from hitting down on the driver 1-3 degree variance, to leaving hitting UP on it 5 degrees:eek::) Pretty awesome!

thanks

for posting the video. Brian told you to go left foot and then club. I have problems with this myself. Any tips or drills on how to do it?

Back and forth swinging drill from SD for a standard/vanilla swing..BUT the rhythm really depends on what you are trying to do in the downswing, or which yellow brick road you are trying to swing down..the one to the left or the Tom Watson yellow brick road. I'll let Brian explain that one, but the way he did explain it to me made alot of sense and I thought was ingenious.

Back and forth swinging drill from SD for a standard/vanilla swing..BUT the rhythm really depends on what you are trying to do in the downswing, or which yellow brick road you are trying to swing down..the one to the left or the Tom Watson yellow brick road. I'll let Brian explain that one, but the way he did explain it to me made alot of sense and I thought was ingenious.

At the moment I'm going Tom Watson's brick road. I'm thinking of slowing down my pivot on the DS, not sure if I'm actually doing it, but that's my though for the week. Step on the left leg DS fill the void, fire my right hip and fling my arm off my chest and trying to add a little right arm in at the right time. It's working good so far.

Gad to hear your doing good, it's nice to get a little reward for some good hard work.

Great to hear.

That grip problem is something that really fools people. Grips are a funny subject because there's so many ways that a golfer can grip the club and work well for them. But sometimes a golfer who has a really good looking grip and a problems with it when you really look at it.

A month ago my neighbor who I give advice on showed me his grip from a different angle. When I saw it, I saw something I never saw before and it was really loose and wasn't in his hand correctly...more in the palm of the left hand instead of more in the fingers. I could stand 2 feet away from it and you'd think it was a textbook, GRADE A, grip.

I changed his grip and it made a GIGANTIC difference. Now he stopped playing the whites and moved back to the blues because he hits it too far for the white.

But, for others their grips are just fine and they need to change other things. And I think it's pretty common for somebody with your limited experience to struggle with the grip.

3JACK

you mentioned you were slowing down or stalling your pivot. what did you do or did you change anything with that? i'm not sure i understood the grip change--if you were going left, why would you go stronger with the grip? i almost thought it would go the other way.

you mentioned you were slowing down or stalling your pivot. what did you do or did you change anything with that? i'm not sure i understood the grip change--if you were going left, why would you go stronger with the grip? i almost thought it would go the other way.

I did have to change it, BUT thinking about my pivot in of itself didn't help me. Once Brian got me lined up correctly, with the appropriate grip, I could then relax a little and let some of my athleticism come out and allow the club to swing and find it's own path, via a natural pivot.

I hit weaker non-penetrating straightish shots with the old weaker grip, right aim and pivot stall. The ball doesn't go right on me anymore at all, one lesson is all it took and I have one side of the course eliminated. If I don't trust my pivot and don't have a little cup in the left wrist feel through the ball, it goes left.

I hit balls this afternoon and absolutely killed it and lit it up. I had to take it to the course and play 9 holes. I didn't make any putts, but I did hit 8 greens, something I've never even sniffed before and shot even par. The only reason I didn't hit all 9 is because I flew the green on the first hole because my 8 iron doesn't go 150 anymore, it goes 160.. Feels GREAT!!

I hit balls this afternoon and absolutely killed it and lit it up. I had to take it to the course and play 9 holes. I didn't make any putts, but I did hit 8 greens, something I've never even sniffed before and shot even par. The only reason I didn't hit all 9 is because I flew the green on the first hole because my 8 iron doesn't go 150 anymore, it goes 160.. Feels GREAT!!

Great stuff, VJ. I love to hear about guys who improve so much, so quickly. Keep it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.