About Ben Hogan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just found an old book I had named "My Partner Ben Hogan" by Jimmy Demeret.He mentions his gripsimilar to what is said now.,overlap and relaxed. He also says he changes his grip for different shots.
Claims Hogans power comes from his ability to wait. He has the largest hitting area on tour.Which is caused by a wide arc to the ball. He brings the swing down, flattens it out and then turns on the pwer at the last possible second. He wont give any one a lesson unless they put alot of work into it. When Hogan went to a fade which he learned fromwild bill melhorn,craig wood and jimmy d. When hogan wanted to hit his fade he would change his grip moving his left thumb on top of the shaft He mention how other golfers bobby jones and others would move alot in their swing using hips moved, legs pivoted necks turned as if a dozen of things happend all at oncehogan on the other hand swung simple and directly. H said when Hogan swings he just moves3 things.club head,hands,and shoulders. The rest of the bodt takes care of itself.. He talked that hogan uses a well ballence position. He also mentions just before he hits the ball his right foot moves a little which is an important element in his stance, then while he lines up for his shot he holds his body rigid for a moment then relieves this pressure makes a little movement shiftting of his weight to the right instep for amoment digs in and swings his whole body into the ball with all his power at his command.
He mention on the rode he would go to bed with his putter after practicing all night on the rug. Real good info thought someone mite enjoy it....joe

One thing I forgot to mention. There is a picture of hogan practicing chip shots which he always did before he played, I looks excatly like brians does it

Last edited:
That book is a "keeper"

It's also one of rarest golf books around. You'll want to hold onto it - for a long, long time. A golf book dealer in Seattle told me this. He wanted over $200 for the copy that he had and wasn't even in good condition.

The most likely place to find a copy is at a library. Thats the only place I've seen it. Also the only place I've seen Trevino's instructional.

Status
Not open for further replies.