Acceleration of clubhead

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmgolfer

Best wishes all of you...

mandrin, sincerely you have my respect

It clear,

If I were to continue posting (rather than occasionally lurking as I've long done) I would find myself spending my time grilling up tbone69 and topping it off with jim0068 Beam steak sauce and masticating with delight... that kind of diet, though enjoyable in the moment, causes one to puttbad at the very least and ultimately lands one in an early grave. So... have fun guys.

PS... Tbone69... I pity the fools that work for you (in your dreams)

Bon Voyage

Adios, nmgolfer. So sorry to see you leave. Thanks for your thoughtful contributions. Maybe after a little rest and refreshment you will decide to once again honor us with your presence. May the force be with you. ;) Come back soon. :)

It clear,

If I were to continue posting (rather than occasionally lurking as I've long done) I would find myself spending my time grilling up tbone69 and topping it off with jim0068 Beam steak sauce and masticating with delight... that kind of diet, though enjoyable in the moment, causes one to puttbad at the very least and ultimately lands one in an early grave. So... have fun guys.

nmgolfer,

I know from first experience how braking new grounds can be a hazardous undertaken.

It is darned obvious that you really own your science as I have rarely seen on forums.

Keep developing your innovative ideas on your site. It will be only for the good of golf.

But keep it fun, life is short. ;)

Bronco Billy

It clear,

Hi nm

Got Your PM.... Been a Blast and an Education as Always.... Our Paths Will Cross Again:D .........

Cheers

Bronco Billy

Of course the other factor not included in the simplified 2-D models is the effect of the rolling of the forearms just before impact. In TGM terms, I guess that's Accumulator #3. I was just looking at a video of Tiger on youtube, and when his club is parallel to the ground, the angle between his left arm and the shaft is around 110 degrees and the back of his left hand looks like it's basically still on plane. So, he's got about 70 degrees of wrist cock and almost 90 degrees of forearm rotation that takes place from there to impact.

Hi There

EXACTLY..... A 3D Pingman just needs a Double Articulated Free Hinge like You described.... The 2D Pingman is missing the 90 Degree Forearm Rotation(The Sweep)...... Now a 3D Double Pendulum(Double Articulated) Set of Equations could be Derived...... Now One could Determine the Curve of the Hand Path to be Followed to Generate the Maximum Efficient Natural Release...... And Half of Our Friggen Engineering Department Just Quit:D .....

Cheers

Last edited:
Puttmad

I was at the NationWide tour event here in Salt Lake City yesterday, watching our local 17 year golfer - Tony Finau - play. He averages 350 yards per drive. I saw him drive a 387 hole and land on the green about 30 feet short of the flag.

He has an amazingly fast swing, but I don't think that he does anything differently than us mere mortals. He simply does everything faster - faster downswing pivot action => therefore faster arm/hand speed => therefore faster clubhead speed. His release action is conventional as he is a swinger.

Jeff.

I've seen a lot of his swing lately, and he has some definite advantages. You won't find these traits in your average golfer:

-He's a young, athletic 6'4" and 190 lbs (and he'll probably get bigger).
-The angle that he creates and maintains very late into the downswing is extreme, on par with Sergio and Hogan.
-And, as you mentioned, he's very fast.

Add these up, and it's no wonder he has recorded a 200mph ballspeed reading.

Lastly, I would say he believes the real driver for an effective release is the reducing of the hand swing radius just before impact.

Honestly, his results don't turn into anything actionable for me. Trying to do anything conciously with the wrists has always caused nothing but trouble and I'm not really sure how I'd go about trying to shorten the hand radius near impact. However, Brian and Jim may know how to achieve that using some simpler visualizations.;)

Anyone have the answer to this?...

I've seen a lot of his swing lately, and he has some definite advantages. You won't find these traits in your average golfer:

-He's a young, athletic 6'4" and 190 lbs (and he'll probably get bigger).
-The angle that he creates and maintains very late into the downswing is extreme, on par with Sergio and Hogan.
-And, as you mentioned, he's very fast.

Add these up, and it's no wonder he has recorded a 200mph ballspeed reading.

Those kids freakin hammer it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=_aOra05ltYg

I was watching that Nationwide event. He didn't carry it 370 or w/e to hit that green did he?

Tall dude but he's pretty skinny too.

Last edited:
So would I.

Of course you would, because you really don't know either way, like me.

Earlier you stated:

Mass times ACCELERATION equals force. So there are three things that will create the force applied to the ball. Mass of the object hitting the ball, the SPEED that it's hitting the ball, and the DIRECTIONAL CHANGE.

What value do we give to directional change? If a = speed + directional change, speed would expressed in MPH, directional change is expressed as ???

Bronco Billy

Of course you would, because you really don't know either way, like me.

Earlier you stated:

What value do we give to directional change? If a = speed + directional change, speed would expressed in MPH, directional change is expressed as ???

Hi There

If the Mass of the Piston Head is the same as the Mass of the ClubHead the Results will be The Same.... If you do not Believe this you do not Believe in the Conservation of Momentum...... If You do Not Believe in the Conservation of Momentum then You do Not Believe in Newtonian Physics and You are Essentially in Your Own Make Believe Universe ie. Science Fiction......

Cheers

Hi There

If the Mass of the Piston Head is the same as the Mass of the ClubHead the Results will be The Same.... If you do not Believe this you do not Believe in the Conservation of Momentum...... If You do Not Believe in the Conservation of Momentum then You do Not Believe in Newtonian Physics and You are Essentially in Your Own Make Believe Universe ie. Science Fiction......

Cheers

I know they will be the same (in my head, not on paper), that's why I'm trying to get Ringer to demonstrate otherwise.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
This thread....

Basically,

You have one guy that posts scientific stuff here all the time, Mandrin, who although he may not be the Tiger Woods of his fielld is at least the Bart Bryant.

Then you have two guys with their own agendas, who are trying to blow him up.

One problem—this is UNREADABLE.

At least Mandrin makes his points in english.

Centrifugal force may not exist, but the force that creates it—A movement toward the center, ie Centripetal Force—all agree exists, and if nothing else we all agree that this SILLY notion that the hands swing the club and CAUSE THE BODY TO RESPOND IS TOTAL B.S.

Now on to bettter things....like the Ping Man thread.

Sorry brother but again, there is no OUTWARD force.
measureCF_1.gif

To help some agnostics see the light I propose a simple experiment, illustrated in Fig1. I used elastic bands since drawing nice looking springs is too much of a bother.

In (a) we have a real external linear force F1 pulling on the elastic band and it stretches, as expected, a certain amount.

In (b) a small point mass m is attached to the end of the elastic band. Axis rotates with a constant angular speed such that the band stretches out as in (a).

In (a) we have a REAL force F1 stretching the elastic band.

In (b) similar results. Hence a REAL force F2 is pulling on the elastic band.

Ringer, I am looking forward how you are going to convince me that in (b) some Houdini magic is taking place, instead of a real centrifugal force stretching the elastic band. :p

Bronco Billy

measureCF_1.gif

To help some agnostics see the light I propose a simple experiment, illustrated in Fig1. I used elastic bands since drawing nice looking springs is too much of a bother.

In (a) we have a real external linear force F1 pulling on the elastic band and it stretches, as expected, a certain amount.

In (b) a small point mass m is attached to the end of the elastic band. Axis rotates with a constant angular speed such that the band stretches out as in (a).

In (a) we have a REAL force F1 stretching the elastic band.

In (b) similar results. Hence a REAL force F2 is pulling on the elastic band.

Ringer, I am looking forward how you are going to convince me that in (b) some Houdini magic is taking place, instead of a real centrifugal force stretching the elastic band. :p

Hi There

Very Impressive Post as is the One about the Torques on the Shafts.... You certainly Demonstrated to Me in This Case F2 is a Real Force.... It Seems Like the Fire Has Gone Out of the Theoretical Posts.... How Unfortunate.... It Seems the Ones who have the Most to Gain from this Information are the One Who Get the Most Pissed Off.... They Do Not Realize that the Banter between the Giants(You and nm) is Part of the Process..... The Intruders Have and Probably Forever Will Retard Progress......

Cheers

Way to fool everyone with diagrams mandrin. If it weren't for the fact that I know CENTRIPETAL force is what is stretching the band, well, I'd be as ignorant as everyone who agree's with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.