Across the line at the top

Status
Not open for further replies.
How would you correct someone who was across the line at the top of the swing? The general flight of the ball is a cut or a slice. Thanks.
Jimmy

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Show them what it was like to not be across the line at the top. But more importantly, how to make the shaft work another way. If you just correct the top position and the shaft still shallows out and the head backs up like all cross the liners do, that spells serious issues.

btp

New
Look at the takeaway and make sure it isn't inside. Most people that I see suck the club behind themselves which leads to the cross over.

How would you correct someone who was across the line at the top of the swing? The general flight of the ball is a cut or a slice. Thanks.
Jimmy

Fixing the across would be my last resort unless it's ridiculous. You can play from across, but you gotta have control of your hand path and shaft angle. That goes for any position at the top by the way. Most across the line swings have an outward hand path coming out of transition which usually creates the fade to slice combo. Video and Post a swing.

Fixing the across would be my last resort unless it's ridiculous. You can play from across, but you gotta have control of your hand path and shaft angle. That goes for any position at the top by the way. Most across the line swings have an outward hand path coming out of transition which usually creates the fade to slice combo. Video and Post a swing.

Agree here. Across the line causes a steep transition and i find a lot of players try an out hand path to flatten the shaft back on plane. Or they stall and back up to shallow the angle.

Thanks Guys,
He tends to be very underplane and does not square the sweet spot more often than not. Hits very weak shots unless he pulls the ball. Can't post a video right now, thanks for all your help.
Jimmy

The trick is just to somehow never get underplane.

Right. Which is why I don't fuss with "across the line" for an out-to-in swinger.

At any point in the swing, the clubshaft is either on a plane of which the horizontal dimension parallels the intended/required horizontal direction of the Impact Plane, or it isn't. "Across the line" is simply a rightward plane direction. Let's stop calling it "steep". The vertical dimension of the plane has NOTHING to do with its horizontal dimension.

What if the intended plane direction is not rightward? Then across the line is steep. Check out my big brain!

What? That doesn't make sense. The words "steep" and "shallow" should be used to describe the vertical dimension of a plane. The words "rightward" and "leftward" should be used to describe the horizontal dimension of a plane....or positive or negative "swing direction", relative to the Target Line, in the TrackMan world.

What? That doesn't make sense. The words "steep" and "shallow" should be used to describe the vertical dimension of a plane. The words "rightward" and "leftward" should be used to describe the horizontal dimension of a plane....or positive or negative "swing direction", relative to the Target Line, in the TrackMan world.

What's the problem? Makes perfect sense to me. If your intended plane direction is leftward, then across the line is "steep" as compared to the desired plane at impact. Seems like you're making the description much more convoluted then it has to be.

Check out the big brain on Kevin! You're a smart MFer. That's right. The metric system.

hp12c

New
What's the problem? Makes perfect sense to me. If your intended plane direction is leftward, then across the line is "steep" as compared to the desired plane at impact. Seems like you're making the description much more convoluted then it has to be.

Check out the big brain on Kevin! You're a smart MFer. That's right. The metric system.

My brain is small and too boot cant agree on terms to describe the swing, no wonder student get confused, like me, one instructor says steep, but it mean something different when another instructor uses the same term, maybe I should just stick with Bmanz, yeah that the ticket.No offense to you guys really.

What I said is across the line, which is a horizontal description, can cause a steep transition, which is a vertical description. In non- instructor speak if the club points right at the top, the shaft begins down pointed too much at the ground causing it to crash unless the players backs up and shallows it out...some players, usually very good ones, are capable of reverse tumbling in transition (Bobby Jones) to get the shaft back on plane, so the move into the ball is not stalled or backed up.

You can shift a plane to a new horizontal direction WITHOUT changing its vertical angle. A rightward plane direction only LOOKS steeper at the top from the down the line view on video because of the perspective from which your viewing it. Take this so-called "steep to shallow" move that across-the-liners are said to often perform. If you looked at a "model" type swing plane, where the shaft is always on or parallel to the intended plane, but viewed it from behind the player, but a few feet to the right of the Target Line, it would look like this so-called "steep to shallow". Its simply a rightward plane, from your perspective. Someday, when we have 3D video, this will all come to light.

Last edited:
What I said is across the line, which is a horizontal description, can cause a steep transition, which is a vertical description. In non- instructor speak if the club points right at the top, the shaft begins down pointed too much at the ground causing it to crash unless the players backs up and shallows it out...some players, usually very good ones, are capable of reverse tumbling in transition (Bobby Jones) to get the shaft back on plane, so the move into the ball is not stalled or backed up.

Can someone explain what the act of backing up is, is it the same as the pelvic thrust towards the ball in an attempt to rescue the shot? If this is the case, does backing up raise the handle of the club and increase the dynamic lie angle of the club i.e more upright?

thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.