Adding flexibility

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking for any resources that people here have used and have been effective. I've started looking around and joined the Titleist TPI website. Any other ideas? Thanks.

I don't do yoga, but from what I've been told I think it's the type of thing where it's a good idea to at least take a class or two, and then go it on your own. Some of the moves and transitions I think are hard to learn how to do correctly on your own. Particularly the breathing.

grs

New
I learned it from the p90x videos, p90x is a great strength training set of videos, but there is a 90 minute yoga video, I've been doing it for 6 months and my flexibility is alot better than it was but I still have a long way to go. Taking classes might be a good idea because then you have someone to see if your doing it right.

Thanks for all the responses. I've thought about p90x, need to get in better shape in general including strength and flexibility. Keep the ideas coming.

Roger Fredericks has some specific golf flexibility dvds I have used in the past with some success.

I've also personally just finished with a 60 day round of Insanity cardio which has quite a bit of stretching to go along with the cardio. I am noticeably more flexible but that may be due to the 30 lbs I just lost.

P90X as someone mentioned is another great idea. I'm sure if you google some of these ideas you will find something that will work for you.

grs

New
Roger Fredericks has some specific golf flexibility dvds I have used in the past with some success.

I've also personally just finished with a 60 day round of Insanity cardio which has quite a bit of stretching to go along with the cardio. I am noticeably more flexible but that may be due to the 30 lbs I just lost.

P90X as someone mentioned is another great idea. I'm sure if you google some of these ideas you will find something that will work for you.

How hard was insanity? I was thinking of trying it.

Thanks

How hard was insanity? I was thinking of trying it.

Thanks

I am 40 years old and Insanity was extremely difficult but is doable. If you have bad knees I wouldn't recommend doing Insanity. There is a lot of plyometrics involved and your joints will take a beating. The thing to remember about Insanity is you can't expect to keep up with the people on the dvd. They have been doing these workouts for a long time. You go at your pace and as you get stronger you go faster. There is a fitness test to start the program and I honestly could not finish the fitnest test without hitting pause a couple of times to catch my breath. Now that I have completed the workout I can honestly say it is a great feeling of accomplishment and I look forward to another round in the near future.

I was always into weight lifting when I was younger ( used to be a personal trainer ) but I have transitioned into medicine ball work and cables. At 45, the weight training, especially with the shoulder issue I have, was just getting to be a bit much. I only have 1 speed, and lifting halfway just didn't do it for me, but all the heavy weights really took a toll on my joints. The cables, medicine ball and core work ( really like "Core Performance For Golf" ) if done with the right exercises & at a quick pace will give you all you flexibility & strength you need. That said, Yoga is on my radar - haven't tried it yet, but I am going to...

I was always into weight lifting when I was younger ( used to be a personal trainer ) but I have transitioned into medicine ball work and cables. At 45, the weight training, especially with the shoulder issue I have, was just getting to be a bit much. I only have 1 speed, and lifting halfway just didn't do it for me, but all the heavy weights really took a toll on my joints. The cables, medicine ball and core work ( really like "Core Performance For Golf" ) if done with the right exercises & at a quick pace will give you all you flexibility & strength you need. That said, Yoga is on my radar - haven't tried it yet, but I am going to...

I did a little lifting last year and the year before but it didn't do as much as just getting a stronger core. I need more flexibility too but core strength and some work on the legs for stability is where it's at.

I think the name "INSANITY" tells me all I need to know.

I did a little lifting last year and the year before but it didn't do as much as just getting a stronger core. I need more flexibility too but core strength and some work on the legs for stability is where it's at.

I think the name "INSANITY" tells me all I need to know.

It truly is INSANE! I finished p90x and went straight into INSANITY and the warmup was more intense than any of the cardio in p90x. Took about 30 days before the 10 min warmup actually felt like a warmup.

Yoga. Iyengar. Do not get discouraged. The teacher you are trying to emulate has at least three years experience; do want you can and gradually it comes.

Be prepared for some new and possibly disconcerting changes in your swing.

Drew

Yoga. Iyengar. Do not get discouraged. The teacher you are trying to emulate has at least three years experience; do want you can and gradually it comes.

Be prepared for some new and possibly disconcerting changes in your swing.

Drew

Disconcerting changes in my swing? Examples?

Yen

New
There are many exercises for flexibility but the Yoga is one of the best exercise for flexibility. Yoga is a very great exercise to live healthy. I like yoga because it give me both physical and mental fitness.

Golf Anatomy by Craig Davies, Vince DiSaia. Excellent resource for flexibility and core work.

Core Golf DVD by Mark Verstegen.

btp

New
P90x has the yoga and a 45 minute stretching dvd. The yoga dvd is a little too long for me. The Fredericks dvd is a little more basic compared to the P90x, but has some of the same stretches.

Status
Not open for further replies.