Adjusting for d-plane

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't want to beat a dead horse because I have seen this topic quite a bit in the forum over the past few weeks, but I was just curious how everyone adjusted for the d-plane. Do you try to stand parallel to the intended target line and move your HSP accordingly, or do you move your whole body line while keeping the HSP parallel to your body line.

Personally, I like to move my whole body while keeping the HSP parallel to my body because staying parallel to the target makes me feel like I have to come over the top to swing left and underplane to swing right.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
You can aim your body at third base and swing down first, it really doesn't matter. Aiming is one thing and swing path is another. Adjust your body so that aim is correct for the shot intended. It sound like you have figured out a way to do that for yourself.

Just for me personally, I like to aim about 5 yards right of my target with all shots off the ground. Then I try to swing parallel to my aim. That gives me a bit of left to counter the down. So long as my clubface is pointing near the target, I'm ok.

dbl

New
Duck that's kind of confusing. Are you saying you aim right for driver shots ("off the ground"),? Aiming right (for a righty) is correct to correct for contact being "up" plane though not "down" as you said.

Last edited:
Just for me personally, I like to aim about 5 yards right of my target with all shots off the ground. Then I try to swing parallel to my aim. That gives me a bit of left to counter the down. So long as my clubface is pointing near the target, I'm ok.

You a southpaw?

I'm kind of in the middle. If I want to align the HSP left, I have to swing left; I have such a hard time swinging parallel to my body when aimed left. It's like the lines get all jumbled up. But if I aim right, I can swing parallel to my body lines just fine.

Assuming a reasonably square to target clubface, could we aim our swing at the outside aft quadrant of the ball for shots off the turf/short tee and vice versa for the driver?

Aiming is a bit of a bugger, right? I can't do it with a square stance (certainly not a closed stance) with the irons. I am pretty consistent with a push, sometimes push-fade. I cannot abide the over the top feel of rotating the HSP with the swing (as opposed to at set up.) I try to leave my basic swing alone as much as possible, opting for changes that can be made before I draw it back.

Figure this question belongs in the adjusting for D-plane thread.

What is the recommendation for hitting a 3 wood off a tee? I see a lot of tour-types hitting down a couple of degrees (or what looks like it) with teed 3-woods. I am not intimidated to try and zero things out, but I am a bit leary about hitting something at exactly low point. It seems to me that the intent of hitting down, of hitting up is an insurance policy of sorts. Any opinions?

Figure this question belongs in the adjusting for D-plane thread.

What is the recommendation for hitting a 3 wood off a tee? I see a lot of tour-types hitting down a couple of degrees (or what looks like it) with teed 3-woods. I am not intimidated to try and zero things out, but I am a bit leary about hitting something at exactly low point. It seems to me that the intent of hitting down, of hitting up is an insurance policy of sorts. Any opinions?

It would depend on what you want for the shot, no? Shorter with alot of spin, hit down. Longer with less spin, hit up. Somewhere in between try to hit level. Not saying any of these are easy. Hitting it level is hitting it at low point, but low point in the swing can be level for a few inches. Of course, in competition there is always a "go to" shot.

Last edited:
Help me sort through my feelings

Certailny not a reply to my own question but rather another question.

I think I understand that there are two ways to adjust for D-Plane. Either rotate HSP preemptively, or "find" the adjusted HSP during the course of the swing. I find the former more repeatable than the latter, mainly due to the OTT feel of it. So I first set up square to the ball (say an 8 iron), establishing an idea of shaft lean etc. The face is relatively squared away to the path (which of course is out to the right) I then adjust everything left until the face is square to the target and everything else is quite a bit left. This seems to work well. The other way is aim my HSP along with the clubface at a "ghost target" approximately 8 yards (based on the calculator) left of the actual target THEN open the face to aim at the actual flag stick. This does not "feel" very good. Can anyone help to account for the disparity I sense between the two. Is it purely a subjective thing?:confused:

I would guess that there are two main reasons that pros tend to hit down ever so slightly with their 3wood off a tee.

First, they are hitting a three wood for control and therefore aren't trying to hit up on it to create the most distance possible. In fact, they are trying to limit the distance it goes.

Second, and most likely, they are used to aiming/swinging left (even if they don't know they do it) so hitting a 3wood at low point probably produces small pulls. So they learned to hit down on it just a bit to get the ball to go straight.

Like I said, just a guess.

I agree. The modern game seems to promote a completely different swing with the driver. Squeeze everything until you get to the driver? Taking the ball at low point may be tougher to do than deliberately choosing down, or up.

Status
Not open for further replies.