Aligning ball for putting - aiming right

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are aware that you did not tell us the most important part of the story :D How did the ball roll? On the line or did the line wobble or maybe the line was not visible at all when rolling?

I've been practising with the Yes True Roll balls
True_roll_Lrg.gif

There is a slight wobble but not too much. I will use these balls to do some testing. First I will make sure that I can indeed aim the ball correctly by confirming this with a laser. If it turns out that I do aim correctly I will have to find out why I am pushing it (when I normally am quite good at gate drills).

Last edited:
Why don't you pick up the iPing holster for 30$, download the iPing app for free, and check your face angle at impact?

iPing is a great tool for practicing your tempo as well.

Why don't you pick up the iPing holster for 30$, download the iPing app for free, and check your face angle at impact?

iPing is a great tool for practicing your tempo as well.
I've got the iPing app and cradle. My putting handicap is +0.8 so it seems I am fairly consistent.

If it is a gadget, there is a good chance I have it :D

Last edited:
Thanks Damon. I've said before (maybe on this forum) that his "core putt" basis for distance control is genius, but I find myself wanting to "over-ride" gravity as it were. Lately I've been trying to use the gravity based TEMPO but one that I control (sort of what he prescribes when you're in close). When I try and simply let gravity totally control things I'm a bit lax and get the occasional mis-hit. A firmer grip but with a self-controlled gravity-mimicking tempo seems to work better for me providing more solid impact with good distance control.

Geoff's the best... you better not ask him a question if you're not prepared for a well-thought out detailed answer!

Agree that GM is something of a genius. I just watched the "Reality of Putting" video (available his web site for $35). An excellent piece of work. He blows up a few myths, uses science not anecdote, employs clever and useful metaphors, and takes the mystery out of green reading, alignment, putter choice, and stroke tempo and rhythm. The guy possesses the quiet assuredness of someone who has spent a lifetime of study and experimentation getting it right. Won't ever be a media star and that is a pity. GM on a Golf Channel putting show would transform a lot of games

Interesting and useful throughout.

I've got the iPing app and cradle. My putting handicap is +0.8 so it seems I am fairly consistent.

If it is a gadget, there is a good chance I have it :D

Good number! I'm +0.9 :)

Are the putts going in when you do the test?

What is your stroke type/degrees & impact angle/average?

Does your putter match your stroke type?

Is your putter head parallel to the putting surface or do you have a raised toe or heel?

Have you verified center face impact?

I do a lot of putter fitting and a poorly fitted putter can trump "perfect" alignment and a consistent stroke.

Not looking for a battle.

Just thought this was funny.

Never heard anyone describe GM with quiet assuredness. =)

Best to all.

JG

I was surprised too John. After reading the GM related posts here I was expecting a verbal tsunami. Not so. It seemed to be tightly scripted and edited and Elkington was good at keeping him on point. And maybe GM continues to learn. Would not surprise.

Good number! I'm +0.9 :)

Is your putter head parallel to the putting surface or do you have a raised toe or heel?

I do a lot of putter fitting and a poorly fitted putter can trump "perfect" alignment and a consistent stroke.

I've got a slight arc and a matching putter for that. Had the putter fitted last year and the balls are going through my gate when I practise with the iPing app.

I've done some testing, aiming the ball with the line isn't easy. I try to lift up the ball so that it is on the line between my eyes and the hole. I then slowly lower the ball without trying to change too much. I then step back and verify the alignment. I've noticed that it is very important for me to go as far back as possible so that the ball is as close as possible to the line between my eyes and the hole (or get as low as possible). Maybe I should try Villegas 'spider' posture but I guess I am not flexible enough for that anymore :(
Anyway I can be slightly off with my aim but not as much as I thought I am. It certainly doesn't explain why I am missing it right when I aligned it. I think my mind is playing a trick here with me. I think I am aiming right so I am hitting it right.

I've got a slight arc and a matching putter for that. Had the putter fitted last year and the balls are going through my gate when I practise with the iPing app.

I've done some testing, aiming the ball with the line isn't easy. I try to lift up the ball so that it is on the line between my eyes and the hole. I then slowly lower the ball without trying to change too much. I then step back and verify the alignment. I've noticed that it is very important for me to go as far back as possible so that the ball is as close as possible to the line between my eyes and the hole (or get as low as possible). Maybe I should try Villegas 'spider' posture but I guess I am not flexible enough for that anymore :(
Anyway I can be slightly off with my aim but not as much as I thought I am. It certainly doesn't explain why I am missing it right when I aligned it. I think my mind is playing a trick here with me. I think I am aiming right so I am hitting it right.

I'd still be curious to know the answers to my questions.

Barring that, have you tried moving the ball forward in your stance an inch to see what effect ball position has?

Stop relying on the line on your ball to aim. You must must must train yourself so that you can roll the ball exactly where you're aiming- which may or may not be where your clubface is pointing at address. Some experts claim that your eyes need to be directly over the ball and you need to turn your head like an apple on a stick and not roll your eyes during the aiming process....after lots of experiementing and observation I conclude that that is not necessary and there are some very good putters who don't do that and can still roll it where they're aiming.

Yes

Straight to slight Arc, 3.3 degrees closing. Impact angle is about 0.9 degrees open (relative to address).
This could actually be the reason. Although the app says that it is only about consistency this could explain my misses to the right.
I remember testing aiming my putter with a laser and I was aiming a little bit to the left. So the open clubface (relative to address) at impact was offsetting this. So basically the clubface is normally slightly closed and I compensate that by opening the clubface. I am fairly consistent doing that. But now if I try to 'fix' my alignment with the line on the ball I will set up my putter square to the target but probably still open my putter at impact, hence the putts are going to the right.

So now the question is, do you mess with a fairly consistent putting stroke just to be able to use a line on the ball or do you go with what you have (and which is working fairly well, had 30 putts this weekend without using a line on the ball)

Putter was fitted by a putting coach and is parallel to putting surface.

Can't guarantee it but I used a training aid from 'yes' a while a go and didn't have problems with off-centre hits.

It certainly makes sense that you could be aiming left, opening the face through impact and still be a decent putter and succesfully practice your gate drills.

I can't imagine that every tour player's putter matches their intended line. That being said, the more you practice it, the better you will get.

I like your apparent gameplan of working on your technique on the practice green (drills, use the line, lasers, etc.) but on the course, use a blank white ball. It may free you up.

Status
Not open for further replies.