Alternative to/opposite of "Step on the right foot"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel that I may be overdoing the "step on the right foot" to start the backswing. By the time the club head is just above waist high on the backswing, my left heel is already off the ground and all of my weight is shifted to the right foot. From that point, the rest of the swing feels poorly sequenced. *Is there an opposite feeling that I can employ to balance out this early/excess body movement? *Step on the left foot, lol?

Sounds like you are TURING at the same time as stepping....

This is absolutely true. I turn too much too early and suck my arms way behind me. Any "Coke Machine" type drills I can use to get this right? Backswing with my rear against a wall, keeping the club from hitting the wall?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Yes...

You want to do the move to your right foot as if you are doing a "gather up the marbles" with your left hand. And as far as you know....NO turn.

Once you get to first parallel.....then you can push up toward your RIGHT ear and create some turn on an angle with that push up.

Thank you, the gather up the marbles with the left hand is exactly opposite of the rolling, pop-out, inside takeaway I have right now.

I'll hit the range and report back.

I think a lot of golfers "over-shift" the weight going back. The key is to stay on the inside of the right foot or you'll sway. Make sure the right hip goes around behind you and not to the right.

What works for me is to kick in the right knee at address slighty so that you're on the inside of the right foot. Then keep you're right knee flexed during the backswing and you're golden.

Forward press the foot pressures and then shift them back at takeaway...works for me all the time.

What's "gathering the marbles"? Anyone? Push under the L hand?

"Gathering the marbles" originally came from the Never Hook Again pattern and was a right hand feel for the release/impact. Basically your hand works like you were trying to scoop up marbles (or jacks) as quickly as possible. You would lead with the heel pad of your hand.

Brian is telling me to use the same feeling, but with the left hand on the takeaway. This should counter the pop out/rolling left arm that I am battling.

"Gathering the marbles" originally came from the Never Hook Again pattern and was a right hand feel for the release/impact. Basically your hand works like you were trying to scoop up marbles (or jacks) as quickly as possible. You would lead with the heel pad of your hand.

Brian is telling me to use the same feeling, but with the left hand on the takeaway. This should counter the pop out/rolling left arm that I am battling.

I see. Thanks.

I think moving left shoulder more down or steeper would help. It would elevate the left arm and hand and club instead of going more inside. Am I right on this?

Last edited:
The "scoop up the marbles" with the left hand has definitely helped. When I had previously attempted twistaway, I ended up going into palmer flexion of the left wrist. The "marbles" idea seemed to be easier for my coconut to wrap around, and gets the clubface from getting to open to soon, but with a flatter wrist.

The rest of the backswing seems to be okay, so now onto the downswing. I'll be working on the 3rd part of the Kwon/Como pivot, as I have a slide move through the ball that never produces a vector from the left foot to the left ear.

Yes...

You want to do the move to your right foot as if you are doing a "gather up the marbles" with your left hand. And as far as you know....NO turn.

Once you get to first parallel.....then you can push up toward your RIGHT ear and create some turn on an angle with that push up.

Hey there Brian. Been away from this site for quite a while. Just came back after rewatching out and over video after some major short game struggles this year. I am a doctor and fairly well versed in my science and physics etc so appreciate the direction you have gone.
That said, There are a lot of terms and things mentioned here like gathering marbles, spiderman hands .... Where Can i find videos or threads describing thiese things?
I am working at getting back to he 5-6 handicap as I am now stuck at 11 both due to driver issues and short game (Though had some great bunker play after rewatching out an over!)

Status
Not open for further replies.