Am I the only one....

Status
Not open for further replies.
That see's this as a pull draw and not a push draw as the editor of the video states?

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PALL4jN33v8[/media]

From what I see, he is aimed at the far right corner of the grandstand and the ball is starting stright parallel to his alignment. Then the ball draws to the left side of the green... LEFT of where he is aiming. That makes it a PULL DRAW to my knowledge.

If the ball starts on the alignment line and draws, wouldn't it just be a draw?

I thought a pull draw starts left of the intended line and goes further left.

Tough to tell in a video without Trackman--closed club face + path right=pull draw?

But, ya it isn't a push draw. That would start right of the alignment and draw back to the alignment.

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It would prob be jumpin the gun to say it was a push draw. Seemed like it started on his alignments. The ground also had alot to do with him being able to hold the wedge that long. Great shot, nice swing.

You can also describe flight in relation to the target line, not the stance line:

NO CURVE:

Straight Ball
Push
Pull

SLIGHT to MODERATE CURVE AT THE TARGET:

Draw
Fade

LARGE CURVE AT THE TARGET:

Hook
Slice

SLIGHT to MODERATE CURVE TOWARD THE TARGET, but not enough to get TO THE TARGET:

Under-Draw
Under-Fade

SLIGHT to MODERATE CURVE TOWARD THE TARGET, but TOO MUCH and finishes PAST TARGET:

Over-Draw
Over-Fade

LARGE CURVE TOWARD THE TARGET, but not enough to get TO THE TARGET:

Under-Hook
Under-Slice

LARGE CURVE TOWARD THE TARGET, but TOO MUCH and finishes PAST TARGET:

Over-Hook
Over-Slice

SLIGHT to MODERATE CURVE THAT STARTS ON "opposite side" of THE TARGET, and curves FURTHER WAY from THE TARGET:

Left-to-Left
Right-to-Right

LARGE CURVE THAT STARTS ON "opposite side" of THE TARGET, and curves FURTHER WAY from THE TARGET:

Snap Hook
Snap Slice

Then the ball draws to the left side of the green... LEFT of where he is aiming. That makes it a PULL DRAW to my knowledge.

I do not think that the ball finishing ‘left of his aim’ is conclusive.
To my thinking if the ball starts:
On the aim and draws = Draw;
Left of aim and draws = Pull Draw;
Right of aim and draws = Push Draw.

Aim being an intention supported by sequencing, and not necessarily a spot indicated by alignments.

In my opinion,

1. the camera angle for the original shot is pretty good, but I can't see the ball flight on that shot.
2. the camera angle for the pro tracer shot is really distorting; I can see the ball flight, but it's hard to tell where he's really lined up.

Piecing the two together, I'd say the ball starts about where he's aiming, and it's a draw (not much of a push or a pull). I think the guy who has done the vide is (A) basing too much on how much further left he appears to be lined up in the pro tracer camera shot, and (B) interested in advocating that folks swing pretty far right.

You can also describe flight in relation to the target line, not the stance line:

NO CURVE:

Straight Ball
Push
Pull

SLIGHT to MODERATE CURVE AT THE TARGET:

Draw
Fade

LARGE CURVE AT THE TARGET:

Hook
Slice

SLIGHT to MODERATE CURVE TOWARD THE TARGET, but not enough to get TO THE TARGET:

Under-Draw
Under-Fade

SLIGHT to MODERATE CURVE TOWARD THE TARGET, but TOO MUCH and finishes PAST TARGET:

Over-Draw
Over-Fade

LARGE CURVE TOWARD THE TARGET, but not enough to get TO THE TARGET:

Under-Hook
Under-Slice

LARGE CURVE TOWARD THE TARGET, but TOO MUCH and finishes PAST TARGET:

Over-Hook
Over-Slice

SLIGHT to MODERATE CURVE THAT STARTS ON "opposite side" of THE TARGET, and curves FURTHER WAY from THE TARGET:

Left-to-Left
Right-to-Right

LARGE CURVE THAT STARTS ON "opposite side" of THE TARGET, and curves FURTHER WAY from THE TARGET:

Snap Hook
Snap Slice

Like the clarifying descriptions.

dbl

New
I think JonWil was dead on about what I'm going to say, but...what do people mean when they say he is aimed at grandstand, etc?

To me they are talking about a stance or plane line.

Yet it seems for an aim it would be better to discuss his face alignment, or even better his intended resultant combination of path and face for intial direction. Yet...without tools like Trackman and/or the player's internal thoughts, we can't know such things.

Anyway, to me it would be more clear for people to write "his plane line appears aimed at xyz." Otherwise, to me it sounds like they are using old ballflight law thinking in their expressed words.

Now just what his stance was aimed out and what was his face aimed at it, etc, in this video, I can't tell, other than by the basic result.

Status
Not open for further replies.