Angel Cabrera's pattern

Status
Not open for further replies.
well i thought he was a SD swing, but i've since been proven wrong. although i think his pivot and top of backswing is SD

Erik_K

New
I could be wrong, but I believe it was Cabrerra who Brian said represented the most of what he tries to teach...

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I think you are referring to Constantino Rocca, who Brian did say "swings like I teach". But, that was way back in the day.

Rocca is more the poster child for NSA than anything

Has anyone ever shanked one in the last round and went on to win? His swing seems sd backswing and nha downswing. It was amazing as he never looked like the guy who would win. He hit the ball much better when he won at Oakmont. Great game, great swing, super touch around the greens, his chipping style is money. The best thing about this guy is he plays fast.

ssssc

New
lia41985,

thanks for posting ... very nice ... :)

maybe, bm will comment indepth on his powerful swing package !!!

Duane

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Has anyone ever shanked one in the last round and went on to win? His swing seems sd backswing and nha downswing. It was amazing as he never looked like the guy who would win. He hit the ball much better when he won at Oakmont. Great game, great swing, super touch around the greens, his chipping style is money. The best thing about this guy is he plays fast.

It wasn't a shank...just because the announcers said he shanked it doesn't mean he actually shanked it. I'd like to see someone hit a shank that far.

What happened is he tried to a hit a big ole hook and he had the face open enough for it but didn't swing near right enough and thus it took off way right and went further right.

How far you think that ball went Jim..if you had a guess? I have heard how far shanks go...:)

Last edited:
They showed it on superslow replay. He hits the ball toward the center of the clubface, definitely NOT on the hosel. But he hits it with an open face and catches it a little thin, just before he tries to really roll over on it. So the ball jumps off the face, low, right, and weak.

It was a very bad shot.

But it wasn't a shank.

lia41985

It looks NHA-ish to me.

I think the confusion with it being SD-ish is the fact that he has such a dynamic pivot. Faldo said on Sunday that he thought Cabrera's one flaw was that he didn't start the club with the hands soon enough in the backstroke, but instead used his body to initiate the swing. Of course, we all know better--that this isn't a flaw at all.

Some video:
Angel Cabrera | Wide Divots (iron and driver down the line)
Angel Cabrera | Wide Divots (driver--rear and down the line)
Angel Cabrera | Wide Divots (iron--rear and down the line)

Last edited:
Hmmm his pattern is much different than what I was expecting (after seeing slow mo video). There's definitely a lot more horizontal hinge type action, especially w/ the irons.

Pivot is better than advertised.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
How far you think that ball went Jim..if you had a guess? I have heard how far shanks go...:)

I'm not sure but i know he wasn't that far from the front of the green. But think about it; what kind of ball flight would you get if you swung, say 2 inside/out and had a face about 5* open? ;)

I'm not sure but i know he wasn't that far from the front of the green. But think about it; what kind of ball flight would you get if you swung, say 2 inside/out and had a face about 5* open? ;)

Ah..Now I have a good picture. I've also heard that shot looks ugly as well:p:eek:

ssssc

New
It looks NHA-ish to me.

I think the confusion with it being SD-ish is the fact that he has such a dynamic pivot. Faldo said on Sunday that he thought Cabrera's one flaw was that he didn't start the club with the hands soon enough in the backstroke, but instead used his body to initiate the swing. Of course, we all know better--that this isn't a flaw at all.

Some video:
Angel Cabrera | Wide Divots (iron and driver down the line)
Angel Cabrera | Wide Divots (driver--rear and down the line)
Angel Cabrera | Wide Divots (iron--rear and down the line)

lia,

thanks for posting links to his swing from that site ...:D

duane

Status
Not open for further replies.