Angle of attack threshold for good shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a 6 iron, at what AoA do you start to pay a price for being too steep?
At what AoA is it impossible to get ideal smash factor?

The summer before last was the last time I had a lesson with Brian and the only time I was on Trackman. I was between 6 and 9 degrees down with 6 iron and that was too steep :(

Sorry, but I don't the answer to your specific questions.

Smash has a lot to do with your dynamic loft as well. If you keep going down with the club, and don't decrease your loft at the same rate, the smash will drop all else being equal.

The tour averages are a good barometer, what numbers are you seeing that have your attention?

I can't remember the exact smash numbers, but was quite surprised at how well the ball was going despite AoA numbers approaching double figures. Perhaps I am getting away with them because I am hitting off of a mat????

Out on the course in recent weeks, I have hit a number of very low wedges...90-110 yards out and the ball has been going no more than 15 yards high. Classic knock down shots but without any intention to hit them as such. Nothing wrong with the outcome of the shot, but the ball flight a lot lower than planned. Could this ball flight be underpinned by a very steep AoA?

Could be, but Dynamic loft is the other half of the low flight. Approaching double figures with a 6 iron is way past the tipping point IMO. Probably means you are in double digits with wedges.

just because you hit down more doesn't mean lower flight. dynamic loft needs to drop. maybe the ball position is too far back? I think smash for 6 iron tour averages to be 1.38.

correct me if this is wrong, but isn't the only reason we hit down on shots to get the middle of the face onto the middle of the back of the ball?

Status
Not open for further replies.