Another BPS question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am one that has been fighting below plane issues for a long time and lately I have found that by increasing the pressure on my left thumb with the my right hand has helped me control the club more in the backswing and the downswing. Specifically, the feel I have is the club is more vertical, less laid off FEEL going back and also FEELS like the right arm is controlling the backswing more. I can also feel more of a LCT during the start of the swing.
Has anyone tried this to help a laid off backswing/below plane downswing?

Absolutely. It depends on what your swing needs and how you want to swing it, for instance... When I first started trying to put together a swing oh so long ago, just kidding, I swung a little "flat" and had quite a bit of turn in my swing, or not enough up in the backswing with the arms. I started studying swings, mostly players on the PGA tour and Nicklaus. They tend to swing a little more upright, so I thought, if these guys do that...it must be good. I found that I have to think, for me, that I just swing my arms "up the wall" on the BS. I found that I control the backswing with the right arm pretty much exclusively(I'm right handed, makes sense to me).I don't feel the LCT and I don't need to, for me it screws with my rhythm a little. I stress the shaft on the way back, and I can see it on recent video of my swing, but I don't feel it. Since I had a tendency to turn quite a bit I don't have to think about the turn, just take it away with the right arm..that is MY FEEL, of course I turn about 110degrees actually. Then for me...get my hips left and deep and go straight down the wall and swing my arms fast..thats all I think about.

Z

Zztop

Absolutely. It depends on what your swing needs and how you want to swing it, for instance... When I first started trying to put together a swing oh so long ago, just kidding, I swung a little "flat" and had quite a bit of turn in my swing, or not enough up in the backswing with the arms. I started studying swings, mostly players on the PGA tour and Nicklaus. They tend to swing a little more upright, so I thought, if these guys do that...it must be good. I found that I have to think, for me, that I just swing my arms "up the wall" on the BS. I found that I control the backswing with the right arm pretty much exclusively(I'm right handed, makes sense to me).I don't feel the LCT and I don't need to, for me it screws with my rhythm a little. I stress the shaft on the way back, and I can see it on recent video of my swing, but I don't feel it. Since I had a tendency to turn quite a bit I don't have to think about the turn, just take it away with the right arm..that is MY FEEL, of course I turn about 110degrees actually. Then for me...get my hips left and deep and go straight down the wall and swing my arms fast..thats all I think about.

That's exactly what i do , strange the same type of swing for two people with just about polar opposites in views in a lot of other things, interesting. How did you come upon using this method? I'm not been sarcastic, really quite interesting ,for me anyways.

Last edited:
That's exactly what i do , strange the same type of swing for two people with just about polar opposites in views in a lot of other things, interesting. How did you come upon using this method? I'm not been sarcastic, really quite interesting ,for me anyways.

I feel more comfortable swinging it that way. I messed around with all of Brians patterns and that one feels best to me. Actually I picked that one at first, cause I thought it looked more like what I thought a golf swing should look like. My eye liked it after looking at alot of swings and the flatter swing wasn't working for me.

Z

Zztop

I feel more comfortable swinging it that way. I messed around with all of Brians patterns and that one feels best to me. Actually I picked that one at first, cause I thought it looked more like what I thought a golf swing should look like. My eye liked it after looking at alot of swings and the flatter swing wasn't working for me.

So you were flatter at first? So was i, never worked for me. Are you more of a visual person when it comes to golf or that's the picture of the swing that you liked and then you worked towards that, lessons etc.

So you were flatter at first? So was i, never worked for me. Are you more of a visual person when it comes to golf or that's the picture of the swing that you liked and then you worked towards that, lessons etc.

I had lessons with the flatter swing, but it still didn't work, due to my temperment,feel,lack of understanding..whatever. I just couldn't make it work. I changed posture,arm swing and pivot. Some of the info I got from Brian during a lesson, some I didn't. The work is not done by any means, but I take a divot now and hit it pretty straight with the irons alot more than I used to and have actually gained distance with less effort. I am definetly a visual learner more than any other way. I think I pick up on alot of things when I see a swing for my lack of experience.

Last edited:
I am one that has been fighting below plane issues for a long time and lately I have found that by increasing the pressure on my left thumb with the my right hand has helped me control the club more in the backswing and the downswing. Specifically, the feel I have is the club is more vertical, less laid off FEEL going back and also FEELS like the right arm is controlling the backswing more. I can also feel more of a LCT during the start of the swing.

Back to your post...I do feel some pressure on that thumb as well..a little more on the DS I'd say. I also feel an increase in pressure in my left arm/tricep area on the chest in the DS. I think that helps keep the club in front of you better also.

What posture changes did you make?

sharper angles..more clean looking ala Tiger. I tended to have too much weight on my toes before. It got me steep, underplane...all kinds of bad stuff. It just depended on how I threw my body at it. and where my balance was.

Z

Zztop

sharper angles..more clean looking ala Tiger. I tended to have too much weight on my toes before. It got me steep, underplane...all kinds of bad stuff. It just depended on how I threw my body at it. and where my balance was.

Iv'e been on the toe train ,didn't like the ride either. Sounds good. Peace!

I fight some similar tendencies, and I'd say that I like to feel more like my right forefinger is very behind and on top of the shaft on the backswing and downswing. This may help you as well.

I had this exact feel of the right forefinger, "behind and on top" yesterday on the practice tee with good results. I have also had some success with a modified version of the back and forth drill Brian used in SD.

Status
Not open for further replies.